Engine is out.

WHOA drop the motor? compression seems okay

Does it kick at all?
did you pull the airbox and try starting fluid? even a SERIOUSLY hurt motor will kick and sputter if spark I there and you try starting fluid I am leaning towards a fuel or spark issue before pulling the motor
I genaded my motor at Loring ran on two cyl all the wa back down the return road,,,FI light never cam on

Compression is ok, has fuel, has spark. Cranks over fine, but will not start. New batteries, fully charged. Can crank for days but won’t start.

If anything I’ll tilt the motor down in the front lift the front of the bike and check cams etc. It’ll probably take a half hour to do if that.

Haven’t tried starting fluid, but can see and smell the fuel. I’m off the next two days, so I’ll mess around with it.

Ask John... for years mine look like spark,,,,,,,But coil voltage was just low enough

ran a 12v switched to the coils and broooowm she fire up instantly

FYI I do not have this bike but consider inspecting/cleaning/re-attaching electrical grounds and re-seat the ECU. Put an ammeter between the negative battery terminal and cable to check for a short (ignition off!) I know your voltage measurements seem to indicate there is no major drain but being reminded by others here on how the system is sensitive to small changes, this type of thing comes to mind. Inspect the fuses. Is there something now that draws more current than prior to the build (high volume fuel pump?) Check that fuse and the connections to see if they burned partially through on that last fateful ride.

Had some time this afternoon, pulled the motor. Timing is dead on. Nothing changed there. Testing cranking voltage now.

Pulled motor and checked the cam sprockets? motor back in already?
How do you check the cranking voltage with the motor out?
When I say check the coil cranking voltage, I (I think that is what it is) finally to the coils, if you check the voltages WHILE cranking in then out of each step....you lose a little

When you check the cranking voltage, did you check on the front of the connector off the coil? Manual says to plug into the back of the connector but I can’t seem to find the voltage there.

Also something odd I just noticed, when I turn on the switch and the fuel pump comes on, my PCV gets power but then it goes out. No power to it. It used to be powered on all the time i think. Even with it removed it still won’t start, but that is odd no?

When you check the cranking voltage, did you check on the front of the connector off the coil? Manual says to plug into the back of the connector but I can’t seem to find the voltage there.

Also something odd I just noticed, when I turn on the switch and the fuel pump comes on, my PCV gets power but then it goes out. No power to it. It used to be powered on all the time i think. Even with it removed it still won’t start, but that is odd no?
u ship it to PH...…

One coil stick plug gets 12v and the ECU controls the grounding
Check the voltage to the other one, ONE HAS TO BE 12v

PCV cycling off is the way mine was

I will check the cranking voltage tomorrow. But I am still leaning towards something electrical. Wish I had a spare bike here to test things.

Back