Would you buy a bike you think is ugly?

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
I have on 4 occasions. My SV650 was basically ugly but so full of personality most love it. My Bandits were not ugly but not lookers. Even my Busa is not the prettiest thing in my estimation, although I have come to love that bike like no other. Then there is my latest the BMW K1600. It's not so ugly but it's so big that it just looks odd. First my idea of beauty is this the KTM. It's very mechanical, looks light and fast. I love machines, and this is a mechanical looking bike if ever there was one. But alas the BMW is growing on me. I'm starting to get over the fact that it's not a Busa, sort of accepting it for what it is. I still am amazed that the state of modern touring technology is no better a bike than a 10 year old design with nothing more in electronics than the ignition!

2018-KTM-1290-Super-Duke-R3.jpg

180716 BMW 01.jpg

180716 BMW 02.jpg

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder......

I’d have to find something appealing about it. I learned last month that looks aren’t everything! Yeah I’m talking bout U Doocati :poke:

On the flip side I couldn’t just buy a bike that checked all the boxes performance wise but was plain as toast. I wanna be able to walk in the garage and see it sitting there and get excited/proud. Don’t wanna walk in and think awesome I’m gonna get 47.4 mpg when I ride to work today!?!?

Doubtful but, if it had a lot of grunt for the money, maybe. Paint, color (and) design, applied with the natural lines of the bike in mind, to accent and compliment and not hide the bike’s attributes is key to a good looking bike. Your BMW could use some paintwork IMO, something to accentuate the ‘star of the show’, that motor. The lines don’t seem to flow with that OEM paint.

I’m all about the looks( I find the busa pretty). I always thought all touring bikes were ugly, specially the Kawasaki C10. They just looked “dated” to me. Then the Kawasaki C14 came out and I fell in love with it. Fj1300 didn’t stand a chance on the Beauty department in my eyes. Not that I think they are ugly, but the C14 looks waaayyy sexier IMHO. That’s why I ended up with one, even though, everyone complaints about the valve adjustment being a pain in the rear.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder......

I’d have to find something appealing about it. I learned last month that looks aren’t everything! Yeah I’m talking bout U Doocati :poke:

On the flip side I couldn’t just buy a bike that checked all the boxes performance wise but was plain as toast. I wanna be able to walk in the garage and see it sitting there and get excited/proud. Don’t wanna walk in and think awesome I’m gonna get 47.4 mpg when I ride to work today!?!?

One thing about HD's is they are striking IMHO. They have the distinction of being extremely at home in their environment and have a cool that is hard to define. Many don't like them but if you look at them objectively they are beautiful bikes.

I’m all about the looks( I find the busa pretty). I always thought all touring bikes were ugly, specially the Kawasaki C10. They just looked “dated” to me. Then the Kawasaki C14 came out and I fell in love with it. Fj1300 didn’t stand a chance on the Beauty department in my eyes. Not that I think they are ugly, but the C14 looks waaayyy sexier IMHO. That’s why I ended up with one, even though, everyone complaints about the valve adjustment being a pain in the rear.

The Connie is a sweet bike. There was a blue 2017 I looked at long and hard at my local dealer. I suppose I chose the BMW because I wanted the technology, basically a bike built to car engineering standards. What I didn't realize is that the BMW is very demanding of you to adjust to it. With the Connie, you hop on and ride. It feels like home from mile 1. When I bought the BMW I was pretty much 100% it was the right bike for me. Then in the getting used to it process on more than one occasion I was headed to the dealer to turn it in! But with some expensive adjustments to the basic package, I am starting to feel the love of this bike and to appreciate it's genius.

Doubtful but, if it had a lot of grunt for the money, maybe. Paint, color (and) design, applied with the natural lines of the bike in mind, to accent and compliment and not hide the bike’s attributes is key to a good looking bike. Your BMW could use some paintwork IMO, something to accentuate the ‘star of the show’, that motor. The lines don’t seem to flow with that OEM paint.
I actually bought a black GT with a silver engine first by accident. The European website had a black bike with black engine but I didn't realize that option is not available in the USA. So I switched (with great trouble for my dealer as the black/silver was already on the boat) to the blue/black GT with black engine. This bike looks like a tool, not a museum piece. BMW's can look like executive cruisers, this looked like a road bike. That's the look I wanted. I also like that the 6 cylinder is hinted, not boasted. I realize the CBX comes from another generation of bikes, but I prefer this look.

I have a buddy who has an S1000R and he absolutely loves it and is looking for a K16 to go with it...

I'm sure you will have lots of happy miles on your new Beemer...

I have a buddy who has an S1000R and he absolutely loves it and is looking for a K16 to go with it...

I would suggest he seriously consider the RT1200. Not as high profile of an engine as the K but a great and capable mile muncher, and cheaper. With a S1000RR I the stable, a K may not be necessary unless he just can't see stepping down to the 110 hp club (like me!).

I would suggest he seriously consider the RT1200. Not as high profile of an engine as the K but a great and capable mile muncher, and cheaper. With a S1000RR I the stable, a K may not be necessary unless he just can't see stepping down to the 110 hp club (like me!).

He's got his mind already made up I reckon, he doesn't like the RT or R bikes in general...

He has a S1000R not an RR but he wants something the wife can go on with him...

I live vicariously through him, he's a lover of toys and buys them all..

One thing about HD's is they are striking IMHO. They have the distinction of being extremely at home in their environment and have a cool that is hard to define. Many don't like them but if you look at them objectively they are beautiful bikes.
I agree , that some HD certainly look the part and are very definitely desirable as laid back cruisers or as a tough v rod stop light drag streetbike , to me personally anyway . But what I found / find a little unforgivable on at least the older HD's and some recent , is the often cheap components used in construction , as example , the cast triple clamps , with roughly finished undersides on the lower clamp at least . The generally mediocre suspension , and some other minor gripes .
One day , I would like to own a HD of some description , but I will have to mod it to my tastes , and fit it out with real machined billet and spun aluminum components , quality suspension and whatever else , and not so much screamin eagle etc. catalogue issues bits .

I personally love the unique look of the Busa, both Gen 1 and Gen 2. A buddy of mine who also rides rockets likened the Gen 2 to a "jet ski on wheels", and while I never thought of it that way I can kind of see what he means given the curves, bulges, and all around size compared to your average 600 or liter bike. Although...I don't usually hear very many comments like that from way out front...

I agree , that some HD certainly look the part and are very definitely desirable as laid back cruisers or as a tough v rod stop light drag streetbike , to me personally anyway . But what I found / find a little unforgivable on at least the older HD's and some recent , is the often cheap components used in construction , as example , the cast triple clamps , with roughly finished undersides on the lower clamp at least . The generally mediocre suspension , and some other minor gripes .
One day , I would like to own a HD of some description , but I will have to mod it to my tastes , and fit it out with real machined billet and spun aluminum components , quality suspension and whatever else , and not so much screamin eagle etc. catalogue issues bits .

Careful there! You are a quality parts guy and an HD is just not going to be your cup of tea. While I like HD's I am a technical geek and their simplicity would just not keep me entertained. I love the Busa because I can do so much to it. The BMW is a fascinating puzzle. Those are things that keep me on two wheels. You have to know what things hold your interest and go for that in the bikes you chose. Not always easy......

I have a friend I ride with occasionally and we go back and forth over bikes. He is a sexy, form is all that matters guy and it's Ducati or nothing. We do have a lot of fun though ragging on bikes. I thought my Mouse-Duc was genius. Then he hit me with the Hippo-Busa.

Ducati Mouse.jpg

Hippo-Busa.jpg

This HD is ‘striking’ IMO. It just looks right despite its low HP, weight and poor suspension. And they seem able to go pretty much anywhere.
7DEE8B86-E699-4371-B677-F641B597E9D8.jpeg

2189DCE6-7AEC-45EE-BEAE-49377BF0BEBB.jpeg

The HD bikes are better than they have ever been. Where HD pulls ahead of all the others is their marketing....I read somewhere that their merchandise outsells bikes.

I also heard the rumour Indian (Polaris) will give them a run for their money but I highly doubt that, Victory (Polaris) tried and failed.

Back