Quietest helmet?

I won't wear a modular helmet.
I can't get past the idea of the front breaking off in a crash, smashing into my face, then flying off leaving my mug to get ugliered up from the road and anything else my head hits.
That's why they aren't Snell approved.

I can't get past the idea of the front breaking off in a crash, smashing into my face, then flying off leaving my mug to get ugliered up from the road and anything else my head hits.

I wont wear one for the same reason. I haven't personally worked the scene of a motorcycle accident where the rider was wearing one that malfunctioned but I just don't see myself ever buying one.

I had the opportunity to buy one at half price when I was shopping for a helmet for my son but ended up buying him a Bilt bluetooth one piece helmet at full price.

(Edit: I insulted you and then took it back because I know you are right deep down! LOL) Modulars today are very good and I am told that the EU standards do test them for face protection. My front on the Neotec has steel latches on it. Now I'm not saying they are as safe as a full face but for rational street speeds they are safe. I felt the same way you do until I started focusing on being on the bike for really long hours (touring) and the ability to get air, rest, talk to people. Ok and smoke a dam cigar! It all starts to make sense. I'm not pushing modulars, if you are still hooning around and rolling jail speeds, go full face by all means as they are without a doubt safer in a face plant.

I would want to get it in glossy carbon (available in AU) , like my Pista , and I like the idea of flipping the lid up to abuse stupid drivers , with a full noise bellow , instead of only loud to me in my lid , like usual !! Always hated this type of helmet when younger , but now I'm must really be getting old eh !!

Just admit it. When he said the buckle was Ti you picked up the phone and ordered one didn't you?

I do have a $10 head,
but I still put good helmets on it .

You could get a 1 hour massage for twice that ~ and this would include your 10 dollar head *

znnaOvB.jpg

I knew we would eventually get here. Before I continue, take a look at this website...it can be an eye opener.

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/

Correlation between a safer helmet and $$$, is not all that high. You can find certain $600+ models of Schuberth that are not as safe a $100 Scorpion ones. I've have threaten for years to buy $50 Chinese helmets and mark them up to $500+ so people would buy them thinking they were the safest.

I knew we would eventually get here. Before I continue, take a look at this website...it can be an eye opener.

Correlation between a safer helmet and $$$, is not all that high. You can find certain $600+ models of Schuberth that are not as safe a $100 Scorpion ones. I've have threaten for years to buy $50 Chinese helmets and mark them up to $500+ so people would buy them thinking they were the safest.

Supposedly, if the helmet meets the DOT or Snell rating on it then it's good in a crash. So yes, point well taken.

I agree, just because it costs alot, doesn't mean it's good.
And, alot of good stuff is made in China...and so is alot of junk.
No way am I trusting my life to a helmet of unknow quality.
I have seen alot of bike wrecks, and the helmets afterwards.
Friend of mine looped his 07 gsxr1k 11 years ago this month...wearing my Shoei.
100+mph standup wheelie, hit a bump in the road(when a cable is ran under the road and the roads is slightly raised above it).
It got a scuff on the back, and scratched the sheild badly.
According to our friends behind him, his head hit the road first. I went and saw the scene, and the peg groove from the sliding bike was over 100 yards long. He had on a t-shirt and shorts, got a strawberry on his hip about the size of a quarter, and a broken thumb. Nearly killed the new rider who stupidly passed him(looped bike flew into him from behind), months in intensive care, but his Shoei helmet looked almost unscathed too, and he had no head injuries either.
Another friend had a cheap HJC(which I've had)split open from hitting a wooden fence rail(high sided R6 at 100+mph), but no head injuries, just the rest of him severely f'd up for a few years.
I've owned and tried alot of helmets over the years.
Shoei's are expensive, but they fit me well, and I trust them to protect MY head as best as possible.
To each their own.:beerchug:

Back