Pilot Road 5

Did another few kms today so I've done nearly 900 kms with the new feet. So far very good grip on open roads, they get hot very quickly which makes them stick like poop to a blanket. We have had little rain but have been solid in that area too, once we get more constant rainfall( bugger that) I get a better gauge on their effectiveness. I've been told that they stay maximum effectiveness right to the very end.the lack of tread at outer edge is no concern as it puts more "sticky meat on the road. The only difference to the 120 front is that it feels slightly heavier on slow turns but overall it's a continuous trend for michelin to make good feet.photo is at langs beach Northlake and can you spot the odd one Out? One of these bikes is not like the others,One if these bikes is not quite the same.

View attachment 1578640

View attachment 1578641

View attachment 1578642

View attachment 1578643
Too bad NZ stuck you with that Harley size license plate!

Even sitting still the Busa is ahead of the others. What do the other guys do, flip a coin to see which bike is theirs?
No but with the Harleys having transponders as part of their starter ignition and being so close together, getting on the wrong bike would be unwise. But funny

Alright, already bald clear to the edges!:bowdown::D Careful for a few miles, heat em up and have fun! Give us a 'few' hundred mile update.
Done heaps of ks now, about 1800 or there abouts , we have had good rain for last w days (is any rain good?)and tyres are performing very well.

Done heaps of ks now, about 1800 or there abouts , we have had good rain for last w days (is any rain good?)and tyres are performing very well.

That's good to hear and not unexpected. I started with a set of Pilot Powers after quickly using up the OEMs and wore the rear out in less than 3,000 miles. Switched to PR2s and then a set of PR3s and then back to PR2s ever since. Didn't like the feel of the turn in on the front PR3, and as well as I liked the way the PR2s handled I couldn't justify the price difference for the 3s, 4s and now 5s. I'll stay with Michelins for the next set but depending on price and availability, I'm not sure which series I'll get.

That's good to hear and not unexpected. I started with a set of Pilot Powers after quickly using up the OEMs and wore the rear out in less than 3,000 miles. Switched to PR2s and then a set of PR3s and then back to PR2s ever since. Didn't like the feel of the turn in on the front PR3, and as well as I liked the way the PR2s handled I couldn't justify the price difference for the 3s, 4s and now 5s. I'll stay with Michelins for the next set but depending on price and availability, I'm not sure which series I'll get.
Can't remember what the PR3/4's sold for over there but here the new 5's are cheaper for a set than their predecessors.

Can't remember what the PR3/4's sold for over there but here the new 5's are cheaper for a set than their predecessors.
I've been on Michelin PR3 2CT's the last 3 sets and they are awesome in my opinion.
I get them from Boyd's in Hamilton for $419 incl freight to my door.
I fit and balance them myself. :beerchug:

Did another few kms today so I've done nearly 900 kms with the new feet. So far very good grip on open roads, they get hot very quickly which makes them stick like poop to a blanket. We have had little rain but have been solid in that area too, once we get more constant rainfall( bugger that) I get a better gauge on their effectiveness. I've been told that they stay maximum effectiveness right to the very end.the lack of tread at outer edge is no concern as it puts more "sticky meat on the road. The only difference to the 120 front is that it feels slightly heavier on slow turns but overall it's a continuous trend for michelin to make good feet.photo is at langs beach Northlake and can you spot the odd one Out? One of these bikes is not like the others,One if these bikes is not quite the same.

View attachment 1578640

View attachment 1578641

View attachment 1578642

View attachment 1578643
Great pics Mike, unusual parking choice in the last shot though lol

Hey Mike, how are those PR5s going ? particularly interested in wet weather grip..... seeing you guys have had crappy storms and you commute in all weathers :super:

Just replaced my PR4GTs on my Concours to the PR5s. I got a little over 7000 miles out of the 4GTs. I have a 4 day trip this week to Deals Gap so ill get to see how the 5s do. I have only rode about 20 miles on them so far and they remind me of how the Pilot Powers felt on the Busa, and that is good. I put a Michelin Power RS on the Busa.

I just had my PR5s mounted last week. Just over $350 shipped to my door. 700 miles so far and wet traction is excellent. Dry traction is great for the roads I've been on so far. I'll be doing a few mountain trips soon to see how they do.

3369.3 miles into this set and they are still sticking good. Wet traction is still excellent. In the pic below, you can clearly see the dual compound of the rear tire as well as the patented siping design.

Michelin hasn't disappointed me yet.

20180627_143055.jpg

They are mounted correctly. Front tires are always mounted with opposite tread direction as the rear.

Back