Stupid oil change question

busanewb

Registered
Today I changed my oil. I filled it up to the full line, started the bike and let it run for about 20 to 30 seconds, then let it sit for 5ish minutes. There was no oil in the sight glass which I didn't think such a big deal till I had to add over half a quart to get it to the full mark. Does that sound right? Seems weird Suzuki would let the bike run so low on oil during an oil change...

Btw I tried looking on here for this info and couldn't find any

Guess I have never done an oil change that way. I have 3 different bikes. I know what each one takes to fill it. I just pour that much in and call it good. I check them often. But always fill them the same way.

3.25 qts fills to lower line in site glass
3.5 qts fills to middle
3.75 qts fills to upper line
4 qts fills sight glass completely
All measured with bike upright and not running.

No but get in the habit of filling your filter before installing or it runs dry till the pump fills it. (Indo this on any motor)

I read this a lot but (my) filter screws on horizontally and cannot be filled prior to installation. I always change oil by measurement as well, always full until the next change.

How are you filling the filter up and maneuvering it through the header without spilling? I've read it's not necessary to fill filters before install

Can’t be done. At best you’ll be able to fill the filter about a third way and then you’ll still spill some. My headers are covered when I R&R the filter so they stay dry when removing the old one. Takes just seconds for the oil pump to fill the filter.

How are you filling the filter up and maneuvering it through the header without spilling? I've read it's not necessary to fill filters before install
Try it. It actually works. The paper material absorbs the oil and holds it in. Also try pulling the fuel pump fuse and crank the engine until the oil light goes off.

I read this a lot but (my) filter screws on horizontally and cannot be filled prior to installation. I always change oil by measurement as well, always full until the next change.

I fill the oil filter then stand the bike on it's front wheel 'til it's vertical, using a chain block from the garage roof beam with the chain hooked onto my rear wheel spoke.

Then carefully slide the oil filter through the gap in the headers, screw it on and voila!

No oil is spilt at all!

Then I lower the bike back down to horizontal and job done!
Cool huh? :rolleyes:

No you don’t!

I have considered it.
Yeah, you know, after the earthquakes here in Canterbury NZ, a lot of bike owners actually used tie downs and suspended their bikes from the rafters of the garage and lashed them to the wall.
I personally know a lot of bikers that had their bikes fall over in the quakes, and more than once too! Then they got wise and secured their bikes better whilst parked up or stored long term.
My bikes never fell over in any of the quakes and were parked on the sidestand too! Amazing luck.
There was a Suzuki Dealership in Christchurch and every bike in the show room was on it's side after the 7.2 magnitude quake on Feb 22nd 2011.
It was a surreal sight to behold I can tell you! And the owner left it like that for a month or so, because the whole city block was cordoned off for months and had army checkpoints for entry by Civil Defence.
It was a bad period for us Kiwis and horrible to go through believe me.

Back