Upgrading RCC stage 1, now has issues.

GXR1147

Registered
installed a RCC stage 1 kit about 3 years ago, had frank at powerhouse tune it and all was great. Zero complaints or issues. Then I wanted more boost. Picked up a first version RCC ultra plenum (used, off the internet() and the other parts needed, including 60# injectors (new), from frank at powerhouses and also new plugs, same CR9E NGK's gapped at .018" as per frank as well. Same as the plugs I took out that were in there with no issues for 3 years. Got everything done, and went to start it back up and check for leaks ect. Now it has a bad miss. Dropped the fuel pressure down to 30psi as per franks recommendation before hand. I've tested the new injectors to make sure they were firing just by unbolting them and aiming them upwards and cranking the bike, they fired as I would except them to, checked spark on the coils and all was good. Pulled plugs and cleaned them, as they were wet but looked consistent across all 4. Removed the gas tank, sucked all the old fuel out of it, flushed the fuel system completely and still had a miss. No FI light on either. Also unplugged the power commander V and tried it without. Same issue. Also looking down the throttle bodies, on the valves of the 3 cylinders that are closed, I can see a small amount of raw fuel around the edges of the valves, I don't think this is normal. I have a PCV and wideband 2 on it and the TPS sensor seems to be reading properly as far as throttle % is concerned. When I pull the vacuum line off the map sensor it dies instantly so I'm assuming that it's working properly. Not sure what else I could be missing. Are the new injectors just pumping to much fuel on the old tune for the factory injectors? What else am I missing here? What else can I check? I hate letting a machine beat me and I'm not ready to cave and haul it 2.5 hours to drop it off for frank to fix and tune. I'd rather just give it to him to tune. Any help would be appreciated.

Should I have the fuel pressure at 30 or the 42 where it was before, or won't it matter at that point? Sorry, I haven't done any type of tuning myself. I've just always been good at the nuts and bolts side of things

I replaced plugs once and put in a new plug that was actually bad. Try reinstalling ur old plugs and see if it follows maybe.
Good luck,
Troy

I replaced plugs once and put in a new plug that was actually bad. Try reinstalling ur old plugs and see if it follows maybe.
Good luck,
Troy
That thought crossed my mind. I actually inspected them very closely when I pulled the new ones to clean them. I couldn't find anything that caught my eye but that is one of tomorrow's attempted repairs. When you had the issue, were you able to see any physical issues like a crack in the porcelain?

As we did last time and as we discussed recently, I would like to hang out on the area while you donthe tuning and take it home the same day due to the drive time. If there's an issue that you need to address i don't see that happening and I don't think it's fair to you for me to expect a repair and tune in the same day. So I'd like to take care of anything before hand. If the injector difference is the cause and just needs a tune, I'm fine with that. But I wasn't trying to bring a bike that required any mechanical work to you.

As we did last time and as we discussed recently, I would like to hang out on the area while you donthe tuning and take it home the same day due to the drive time. If there's an issue that you need to address i don't see that happening and I don't think it's fair to you for me to expect a repair and tune in the same day. So I'd like to take care of anything before hand. If the injector difference is the cause and just needs a tune, I'm fine with that. But I wasn't trying to bring a bike that required any mechanical work to you.

I agree that would be the better way. I am a little concerned about how you routed and connected all the signal ports coming off the throttle bodies and any ports off the plenum. Can you email a diagram of how you set all of that up?

Omg, I wish everyone had that mentality when it came to guys bringing me their bike for tunes. I’m sure Frank knows exactly what I’m talking about.

Frank, all the signal ports off the throttle bodies are the same way from the original set up. All 4 tied in together with a center line running to the map sensor. On the #1 throttle body, the second port goes to my boost gauge. On the #4 throttle body, the second port goes to a T that ties to the blow off valve and the FMU. The FMU still has the check valve in line as well. The waste gate is plumbed to the plenum. The #2 & 3 throttle bodies don't have second signal ports coming off them. I'm still going to need a new valve for the map signal as that was broken and not repairable as you saw a n the photo o emailed you. If this is confusing and you still want me to draw something up, I can do that. Just let me know

Last edited:
Omg, I wish everyone had that mentality when it came to guys bringing me their bike for tunes. I’m sure Frank knows exactly what I’m talking about.

Everyone doesn't have this mentality? Granted I've spun iron my whole life and really enjoy this kind of work. But i see handing off a bike that needs work as time and money out the window. Both are a precious commodity in my opinion. I also see it as something that I couldn't accomplish or figure out, and that would drive me absolutely nuts.

Everyone doesn't have this mentality? Granted I've spun iron my whole life and really enjoy this kind of work. But i see handing off a bike that needs work as time and money out the window. Both are a precious commodity in my opinion. I also see it as something that I couldn't accomplish or figure out, and that would drive me absolutely nuts.

Plumbing sounds right. Mentality-wise, some people don't know any better, some show up with bikes that other shops messed up because the shop didn't know any better. Usually the majority don't think it's a big deal anyway and we can probably fix it for nothing as "part" of the tune. I have spent many hours re-hosing, and rerouting and relocating and otherwise going through someone's "build" prior to the bike being worthy enough to go on the dyno. Time is money.

Plumbing sounds right. Mentality-wise, some people don't know any better, some show up with bikes that other shops messed up because the shop didn't know any better. Usually the majority don't think it's a big deal anyway and we can probably fix it for nothing as "part" of the tune. I have spent many hours re-hosing, and rerouting and relocating and otherwise going through someone's "build" prior to the bike being worthy enough to go on the dyno. Time is money.
I didn't know any better... I wrenched on cars when I was younger and I hate it to this day... I put a swingarm on a bike and it took me 2 days... trying to save a couple hundred bucks... smh. there is probably a reason guys like frank make a great living doing this stuff.. or every 3 weeks a person can post a problem they have on the org and do it themselves... no shame in using the pros, and I was surpsised my bill wasn't much higher.

I didn't know any better... I wrenched on cars when I was younger and I hate it to this day... I put a swingarm on a bike and it took me 2 days... trying to save a couple hundred bucks... smh. there is probably a reason guys like frank make a great living doing this stuff.. or every 3 weeks a person can post a problem they have on the org and do it themselves... no shame in using the pros, and I was surpsised my bill wasn't much higher.

I'm a firm believer in, "people get paid what they get paid because they know what they are doing". Hence why I won't even bother trying to tune it and let frank work his magic. I get paid to work on large engines. Like 11 liters large. And have about $30K in tools at home while big box and most tools are at work. I have worked on engines my whole working life starting in automotive. That's why it burns me to the core if I can't figure something out.

I'm a firm believer in, "people get paid what they get paid because they know what they are doing". Hence why I won't even bother trying to tune it and let frank work his magic. I get paid to work on large engines. Like 11 liters large. And have about $30K in tools at home while big box and most tools are at work. I have worked on engines my whole working life starting in automotive. That's why it burns me to the core if I can't figure something out.
relax man... u deserve to leave work at work... for a couple hundred bucks I'm sure the pros can fix whatever ails you... and its not worth worrying over all the time. If ya sweat the small stuff the big stuff might kill ya... that's my new motto.

relax man... u deserve to leave work at work... for a couple hundred bucks I'm sure the pros can fix whatever ails you... and its not worth worrying over all the time. If ya sweat the small stuff the big stuff might kill ya... that's my new motto.
Lol, it's not work if you you enjoy it. I'd rather spend the money on something else if I can do. I'm at the point with this thing that there is nothing mechanical left for me to do. I'm kinda convinced that the issue is just the difference in the injectors and it's just time to let frank work his tuning magic. It will idle now, be it very rough. It already has a date set to be strapped down on powerhouses dyno. A day I am anxiously awaiting

Last edited:
Lol, it's not work if you you enjoy it. I'd rather spend the money on something else if I can do. I'm at the point with this thing that there is nothing mechanical left for me to do. I'm kinda convinced that the issue is just the difference in the injectors and it's just time to let frank work his timing magic. It will idle now, be it very rough. It already has a date set to be strapped down on powerhouses dyno. A day I am anxiously awaiting
well.. if u enjoy it... take some temperatures off the headers.. if ya got a dead hole.. itll be cold

Back