Suzuki patents semi automatic transmission for Busa

Jose J Ortega

Registered
Just bringing the news:

http://www.thedrive.com/motorcycles/18551/suzuki-patents-suggest-semi-automatic-hayabusa-transmission-report

"It uses a clutch actuator and a shift actuator to electronically shift the bike rather than the mechanical way of clicking through the gears. With this new design, the rider shifts with the normal foot controls and the position of the shifter are read by a sensor which relays the information to the ECU telling the bike to shift. To make sure this system doesn’t mess with the rider’s brain too much, Suzuki has built in a simulated clicking mechanism to make it feel like the mechanical shifting that most riders are used to.

Applying this tech to the Hayabusa would be a good way to keep it modern while more futuristic bikes like the supercharged Kawasaki H2 might be taking some of its superbike market share. It’s also a good way to keep sportbike riders who probably want to keep shifting their own gears happy by keeping the controls manual. Hopefully, this is a sign that a third-gen ‘Busa is on the way.

I heard BMW already have an answer for this.

Fastest 1/4 mile with a 1k bike, without a rider. The bike balances itself, takes off, brakes, traction controls, wheelie controls plus there is a 150lb weight saving without the rider. All the riderr has to do is hit a remote control button and then watch. :moon:

Not sure how that is different than a up/down quick shifter? Also shifting is only part of the issue, something needs to adjust the engine revs (blipper) to make shifts smooth. I'm sure there has to be more to this though, so as usual we'll have to wait and see. Any sign of a new Busa is good news though.

PS: Maybe this is a simpler version of Honda's dual clutch DTC transmission? If so that is interesting.

I heard BMW already have an answer for this.

Fastest 1/4 mile with a 1k bike, without a rider. The bike balances itself, takes off, brakes, traction controls, wheelie controls plus there is a 150lb weight saving without the rider. All the riderr has to do is hit a remote control button and then watch. :moon:
HAHAHAHA.... good one... really though... we are MOTORCYCLE riders here... do we need all these nanny electronics? what happened to horsepower and a handle?

arch.. the ecu is controlling everything.. it probably feeds the clutch out for longer time or less time depending on the aggression of the rider.

Well that would be exactly like a quick shifter then, so why all the fuss? Unless Suzuki plans to connect this technology with the Suzuki start assist on some bikes already. This revs the engine so that you can't stall the motor. So this could make a fully automatic bike. Like a car when you stop you don't need a clutch, the engine automatically disengages. That would be interesting. But dragsters and street hooligans (a big part of the Hayabusa fans) might cry foul on a system like that.

Electronics continue to intrude into motorcycles, some of it helpful, some not. We spend a lot of time overcoming these electronic "obstacles" by flashing ecus, derestricting them, overcoming speed and rev limits, throttle restrictions, and so on. The EPA nazis have inflicted their wishes on us, and the manufacturers all fall in line like ducks, just to get the right to sell their bikes here in this country. There have been efforts to outlaw ecu modifications, or any other modification that alters the way the bike was originally sold. So far, they have not succeeded in putting every aftermarket performance company out of business. When it does hit, we will
have to revert back on two things: the bike is for "off road" or "race" use, or the fact that any future restrictions are not retroactive. Our "older" bikes will become even more valuable at that point.

I don't need any more electronics, and I don't want my ecu to control my moods or habits. I have air shifters on most of my bikes, and I have the option to either shift normally or put my legs behind my ears and hit the button. Quick shifters are very popular as well. Although I applaud the apparent fact that Slowzuki has finally gotten off their arses and are paying attention to a new design, and a new bike, I think they should concentrate on a bigger motor, better cylinder head, cams, etc. - more horsepower for the king!

In the meantime, they can keep "their" controls, and let me control my own bike. My older Busas can still beat the snot out of most anything out there with me shifting. Let me have my fun, keep the Hondamatic where it belongs, in the shed, IMHO.

Well I guess I'm in the minority here on the electronics issue. My BMW has just about everything you can imagine on it and, it works. It's still fun to ride, and frankly I think I may ride faster longer than i did on the Busa. I will admit that sometimes you can feel like someone else is driving though. I was just talking the other day to a friend about how much i would love to send the BMW 6 to Frank and let him unleash that MF. Cars today have some crazy HP numbers. That is a result of the technology. Bikes will get there and the aftermarket guys are pretty slick, they will figure out how to stay ahead of the curve. All we have to worry about is the government just coming in and shutting things down. But I suspect this is a tougher issue than getting people to turn in their guns!

Look at those patent images ( fig.4 in particular) again. The actuators and accompanying linkages must weigh close to a kilo. Answers to questions most riders never asked. Still early though, so I'm keeping an open mind.

Well that would be exactly like a quick shifter then, so why all the fuss?
If you're doing all the same things you would with a quickshifter but the ECU makes the gears shift instead of your foot, I don't see the point. Just add a really good stock quickshifter like the S1000rr has. Make it capable of clutchless down shifts.

When it comes to fully automatic including launches, I can see how that might be a performance gain but they won't do it right for racing. If it's like the automatic shifting and take off of a car, I don't want that. It doesn't matter how aggressive you are, ordinary automatc transmissions suck for racing. If they are set up for max acceleration they can be valuable for straightline racing but for road racing, the situations are too varied to trust shifting to a preset. Of course, I said this about traction control and ABS and that seems to have turned out to work very well. Maybe the automatic shifting will have modes. It doesn't sound like they intend for it to be able to be shut off.

All I want and all I need is a slick shifting manually actuated gearbox and clutch.
Suzuki already does that pretty well, why complicate the engineering more and more?
I like the idea that bikes like the 'Busa, powerful and heavy, have the knack of keeping the less experienced on the smaller bikes, therefore the roads are safer.
It's a long journey to the Busa and we have earned our wings.
I don't wanna see some punk ass jump straight off his CBR250 and onto a Busa after only a few years or even less experience.

All the tricks are great but how about some reasonable brakes?
You know what, as the years go by I use the brakes less and less.
Probably because I'm 'reading' the road ahead better as I've gained experience, and preparing the entry into corners earlier and backing off a little sooner. Late braking on the road is unnecessary and dangerous.
Even in the city I'm engine braking and using my rear brake ( which has improved so much since fitting EBC HH pads and a braided hose ) more often.
To ride smooth and cautious is King! :thumbsup:

I always ride with 1 finger covering my front brake ( 2 fingers before Brembos ) , lightly resting over the brake lever ready for any occasions as most riders do . But on my favorite roads , I am often asked if my brake light works because , like you Kiwi Rider I use my brakes for slight correction only and use the motor and keep things smooth and flowing . The Busa's beautiful big block feel and grunt just torques it way along ever so nicely , again the smooth flowing compilation is your reward . I generally don't use the back brake unless I make a conscious effort , mainly because of physical discomfort . I am considering one of those levers at the bar jobs , just because there are some corners where I come in fast and the bike wants to drift wide to edge of lane , on the apex exit and I feel the back brake may help out to arrest this enough to gas it earlier and power back on the line . Also in emergency braking , the back brake adds to the ultimate stopping potential . Be nice to have the option , there at my finger tips .

You know what, as the years go by I use the brakes less and less.
Probably because I'm 'reading' the road ahead better as I've gained experience, and preparing the entry into corners earlier and backing off a little sooner. Late braking on the road is unnecessary and dangerous.
Even in the city I'm engine braking and using my rear brake ( which has improved so much since fitting EBC HH pads and a braided hose ) more often.
To ride smooth and cautious is King! :thumbsup:

Back