Old guy with 2013 Hayabusa

Busa mick

Registered
Hi to every one , I'm 71 and been riding since 1972 having rode more bikes then I can remember, and a few were the brakes were just an after thought like stainless steel disc's that did F-all in the wet. Enough of all that I've read the stuff on here about Busa brakes and I must admit I'm a bit baffled I'm on my third Busa currant one 2013 abs model now clocked up 30k on it the other 2008 and my first was 2004 in all I've done about 140.000 k most of it touring Europe, at no point did I need better brakes then what was on these bikes. The 04 one with the six pot callipers did benefit a lot after I fitted carbon pads to it. So were are these super riders that need better brakes . in my 40 years of biking I've not been left behind by some who rushes up to a bend then stands it on it's nose but I have been to 5 funerals over the years. Ride safe all of you I wish you all many years of biking. ps Just planning a trip for the end of may my place to Nice then ferry for a week on Corsica about 3k trip. Roll on

20170525-DSC_2239.jpg

Many brake upgrades are are bling factors. Though gen 2 radial calipers are much better than the 6 pots. FYI if you like the small mra you will love the big one. Moved the one like you have to wife's Bandit S.
DSC_1088.JPG

Thanks guys this is me in France and no I don't ride dressed like this. lol Mind you did once in Poland temp hit 39deg the tarmac was melting had to travel at 4 am in the morning to avoid the heat. Over the last 2 years I've got Arthritis and it's getting worse so I could be on my last year with this fabulous bike. But we will see. Thank you for the kind comment's and take care.

20170601-DSC_2524.jpg

20170528-DSC_2361.jpg

Many brake upgrades are are bling factors. Though gen 2 radial calipers are much better than the 6 pots. FYI if you like the small mra you will love the big one. Moved the one like you have to wife's Bandit S. View attachment 1578896
They make smile every time I look at one fab bike mate. I bought a new zzr 1400 3years ago I went on a 2 week trip did 4.200 miles come home and sold it I think have busa in the blood. All the best Mick

Nice looking riders machine there! Cheers !
Thank you, yes it's in it's touring form in this pic I was off to France the next day with 2 mates fitted with Helle bars just makes the miles easer, and notice the solar powered plastic Jesus sadly he bailed off at 135 so he didn't complete the trip, you now know your talking to a old nutter. Ride safe bud.

Hi to every one , I'm 71 and been riding since 1972 having rode more bikes then I can remember, and a few were the brakes were just an after thought like stainless steel disc's that did F-all in the wet. Enough of all that I've read the stuff on here about Busa brakes and I must admit I'm a bit baffled I'm on my third Busa currant one 2013 abs model now clocked up 30k on it the other 2008 and my first was 2004 in all I've done about 140.000 k most of it touring Europe, at no point did I need better brakes then what was on these bikes. The 04 one with the six pot callipers did benefit a lot after I fitted carbon pads to it. So were are these super riders that need better brakes . in my 40 years of biking I've not been left behind by some who rushes up to a bend then stands it on it's nose but I have been to 5 funerals over the years. Ride safe all of you I wish you all many years of biking. ps Just planning a trip for the end of may my place to Nice then ferry for a week on Corsica about 3k trip. Roll on

View attachment 1578894
Hi there mate , great to see a mature veteren still enjoying life on the best motorcycle in the world . In regards to your brake comments , well for your application , they must be fine , just as Suzuki hoped / intended . But to some , their definitely is brake issues , which are well documented for pre ABS models . Mainly lack of feel , at the lever , which gave at least the impression of lack of initial braking effect . The calipers were more or less let down in this regard by the stock master cylinder . People at the time of the '08 introduction , found the brakes to be 'adequate' , but nothing to write home about , and not what you would expect to be fitted on the fastest production motorcycle of the day .
Most riders are happy with pads , lines and possibly master cylinder update , but there are some of us who use there Busa a little different from some owners ?? , such as myself , who is also of the larger size frame and doesn't fit comfortably on the 1k bikes , who wanted more intense brakes than standard .
Also there are others as example , who have updated to brake packages to match their updated BHP builds . Perhaps the very best example of this , the full house Turbo Monsta , until recently found featured in the old 'showcase ' media section .
I realize you are a veteran rider , who started riding from the days when Japanese motorcycles were basically rough diamonds , when spaghetti suspension and generally over powered bikes featured shite handling and brakes was the norm . So you have seen an evolution of design and capabillity which has ultimately produced such pollished performers such as the Hayabusa . I too have been riding motorcycles , only for over 40 years , 34 years on the road , so not as much as yourself , but long enough to know what I like and expect from my motorcycles , and confident in what my riding skill can utilize . Not everyone buys a Busa to fit up touring panniers and big screens etc , some use their bike as a sport bike , some a drag bike , some an all round do everything ride and even track day it on occasion .
That is the beauty of Hayabusa ownership .
Look forward to hopefully reading about your many riding adventures mate , cheers . :thumbsup:

+1 on the MC and calipers.
Master cylinder prices aren't that much.
Calipers can cost as much as a used bike.
Both are great upgrades!
Pads and lines are a good improvement for those of us whose pockets aren't as deep.

Hello & Welcome from the Capitol of Vermont !!!!!

Great thing to see , that you can't shake the fever .

IMG_1980.JPG

Welcome to the forum.

Good to see you still riding - I also hope to be riding at that age - which will be here before I know it.

I still have and ride my 04

No. I don't need stronger brakes. The front will lock if I pull it just about to the grip so it's definitely capable of over-braking. I sure do prefer the feel of a light touch on the lever though. I'd say it's a must for road racing but something I am used to on the busa. Brakes will probably be a future upgrade. I bought an inexpensive radial MC. I was drawn in by the fact that it looks just like a Brembo so it must be similar. Someday, we'll see if it makes a difference.

Hi there mate , great to see a mature veteren still enjoying life on the best motorcycle in the world . In regards to your brake comments , well for your application , they must be fine , just as Suzuki hoped / intended . But to some , their definitely is brake issues , which are well documented for pre ABS models . Mainly lack of feel , at the lever , which gave at least the impression of lack of initial braking effect . The calipers were more or less let down in this regard by the stock master cylinder . People at the time of the '08 introduction , found the brakes to be 'adequate' , but nothing to write home about , and not what you would expect to be fitted on the fastest production motorcycle of the day .
Most riders are happy with pads , lines and possibly master cylinder update , but there are some of us who use there Busa a little different from some owners ?? , such as myself , who is also of the larger size frame and doesn't fit comfortably on the 1k bikes , who wanted more intense brakes than standard .
Also there are others as example , who have updated to brake packages to match their updated BHP builds . Perhaps the very best example of this , the full house Turbo Monsta , until recently found featured in the old 'showcase ' media section .
I realize you are a veteran rider , who started riding from the days when Japanese motorcycles were basically rough diamonds , when spaghetti suspension and generally over powered bikes featured shite handling and brakes was the norm . So you have seen an evolution of design and capabillity which has ultimately produced such pollished performers such as the Hayabusa . I too have been riding motorcycles , only for over 40 years , 34 years on the road , so not as much as yourself , but long enough to know what I like and expect from my motorcycles , and confident in what my riding skill can utilize . Not everyone buys a Busa to fit up touring panniers and big screens etc , some use their bike as a sport bike , some a drag bike , some an all round do everything ride and even track day it on occasion .
That is the beauty of Hayabusa ownership .
Look forward to hopefully reading about your many riding adventures mate , cheers . :thumbsup:

Thanks for your interesting reply and yes things have moved on but my bike is not always in it's touring mode the hump is fitted standard busa screen back on and pop my other set of wheels in with some sticky Pirelli corsa's for my fun Sunday runs and can be over 200 miles and if I behave I get 2k out the back tyre and 4-5k out of my Met z8's Simply love this bike it is a jack of all trades for me. Take care we all have good taste BUSA

Welcome to the forum.

Good to see you still riding - I also hope to be riding at that age - which will be here before I know it.

I still have and ride my 04

Hi my first Busa was an 04 bought second hand in 04 with 1100 miles on it and the much talked about 6 pot callipers it had a slight flat spot at 3000rpm and the dealer could not fix it so I fitted a power commander and tuned it out to perfection the result was stunning exhaust was a much lighter grey and a lot more responsive and steady or steady ish riding I got 46 mpg a good 12 miles better then before. I did it using my mates gas analyser at his mot station holding it at 3000rpm for a while we got a good read out and from there I was able to adjust the fuelling the bike was so smooth after that a lot better then my 2013 model. That done my first run was down to the Italian Riviera through Switzerland just fantastic and I did it 2 more times before I sold it in 2008 . Hope you enjoy that fabulous bike for many more years. Thanks for getting in touch hope this didn't bore you . Kind regards Mick

Hope I look that good when I'm 60 forget 71.... Welcome to the site!
That's not me it's my younger brother lol. me really, thanks for the compliment and the welcome, the wife calls me a grumpy old bugger I still don't know if the old bag means it or not. Just enjoy the ride Take care. Regards Mick

Stock brakes suck.
They need ceramic embedded pads or equivalent. That Does stop the bike sooner.
Stainless lines help the brake feel too.

Hi thanks for getting in touch have replaced my front pads last year with bremo's and since then the brakes in the wet take about 2 seconds to start to bite not as good as the originals so I will try your suggestion. Thank you Kind regards Mick

Back