My Other Bike Is A ........

Well it was a long story and it's still going on. I put a down payment on a Black/Black K1600 GT. I was looking on the web at the UK site, and in the UK you can get a Black/Black bike with a black engine. Long story short the silver engine changes the bike totally IMO, so I cancelled it. Went looking for a K1600 GT Sport, which comes in blue/black with the black engine. Well turns out there are like 5 of those in the US (according to the dealer), but there was one in Charlotte, NC. So I put down on that one and last Saturday took them a check for the bike and they are shipping it to my house Saturday. Very excited, this is an amazing bike and the blue/black version is really distinctive.

The biggest thing about the BMW is it's level of isolation is amazing. It's not like a lack of feel, it's more like that feeling of a very expensive car. The engine is awesome. It pulls really strong right off idle. Reminds me of the Busa in many ways but it is super smooth and not as aggressive, especially on top. On the bike I rode (not mine), the party was over at 8K or so. So I stand by my contention that the busa has the best engine in motorcycling. I'll give a complete ride report when I have had her for a few weeks.

I added Nav 6, Engine and pannier protection and heated gear plugs (the OEM plug is only 10 amp).

View attachment 1578724

View attachment 1578725

View attachment 1578726

View attachment 1578727

View attachment 1578728
This bike looks sick is this yours??

Man those things are expensive!
This is what we pay for them here in NZ...
https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mo...00.htm?rsqid=51cea01bb22c4edfb7c838e922cf114f

Heres a used one not far from me so I'm gonna take it for a test ride soon, I know the sales manager, he's been trying to fit me into a new Busa for ages lol.
Maybe a K1600 GT would be the right bike to tour the US on next year rather than a KTM Super Adventure 1290?
1517742364708.png

This is a 2012 with 16500kms.
What's the price of a new one in the US Arch?
Looks like a fantastic touring bike, 6 cyls and 160hp, nice. Loads of torque.
Have you taken delivery of yours yet? If so, what's your impression after the Busa?

Last edited:
Sorry guys this is a long one. Don't read it if that's a problem for you!

Today the driver from Motorcycles of Charlotte rolled up into my front yard, opened the trailer and out came my 2018 BMW K1600 GT Sport – finally she was mine!

When I was clearing a place for her in the garage last night I got the dimensions from the BMW site. 92 inches long and 40 inches wide, holly molly that’s nearly 10” longer than a Hayabusa, can that be right? It was right, this is an epically huge vehicle. Side by side this BMW makes the Hayabusa look petite.

Surprisingly, the BMW is reasonably easy to handle when moving it around manually. Not sure if it’s the shaft drive or not, but the Hayabusa is quite a bit harder to roll. Bottom line is weight is not the main thing that comes to mind with the BMW whether you are moving under power or pushing it in the driveway – a welcome discovery.

The quality of the BMW is extraordinary. Fit and finish of parts and panels is amazing and well above anything on two wheels I have ever inspected. The paint is automobile quality, but to be honest most bikes today have pretty good paint jobs. We’ll see how the black engine stands up to the road. Even the plastic seems heavy on this bike. Clearly BMW approaches the K1600 series of bikes like high end cars in many ways, and they don’t share other manufacturers compulsive fanaticism with Barbie figures.

The bike has everything you can imagine on it: Audio system (including radio and Sirrus XM), Navigation, ABS, cornering TC, electronic suspension adjustment, cruise, adaptive headlights (can’t wait to test that out), incline start assist, reverse (yes reverse), shift assist pro, central locking on the storage, TPMS, integrated Navigation, heated seats/grips (which work well, my ride to day was 28 degrees but comfortable), and more. The real amazing thing about all these options is I was working them comfortably (while moving) in 35 minutes of riding the new bike. The dash is genius, switching is complicated but somehow everything’s in the right place when you need it. You control everything with a wheel on the left bar and a menu button. Clearly BMW brings some auto mastery to this setup and it is fantastic. There is nothing here to compare with the Hayabusa and that is a profound weakness for the Suzuki.

Seating position is comfortable. I did get some tightening up in the small of my back when my legs were extended down (like at stoplights). The bars seem way to close, the seat is soft, and you almost feel like you’re sinking into the bike. I think a Corbin will be on order very soon. Wind protection was good, compared to having nothing, which I’m used to on the Hayabusa Lol! The K1600 GT Sport has a shortened shield to accent the sporty look. I think I may have to fit the larger windshield from the GTL model, at least in the winter. Overall the bike rides very high and you feel like you are looking down on the traffic around you. This took some getting used to but after a few hours if felt fine. Despite my nit-picking, the cockpit of the Beemer is a fine place to be. Ergonomics are first rate and the complicated controls are intuitive. While the Hayabusa is not as plush, it’s every bit as comfortable for my frame in all honesty. Especially for short rides.

As far as options, I added crash protection for the panniers and the engine. I opted for the highway pegs mounted on the crash bars. This is heavy steel stuff and again is function over mass. I had plugs (pilot & passenger) for heated gear added because the 12v plug on the console is only 10 amps., a rare WTF in a bike that has millions of miles of R&D behind every screw. Of course, I added the Garmin Navigator 6 (a BMW specific version of the 660M). For me the Nav 6 looks small in it’s console and while there is good sun protection on the screen it’s just too small. The 590LM I use on the Hayabusa is better but does not link into the bike control functions.

On the other hand, the center of mass for the bike feels sort of odd. The bike is quite top heavy, even under power the bike seems to want to fall into a lean quite heavily.
Something else only a Hayabusa owner can appreciate is that the bike comes with both a kickstand and center stand. Push down on the kick stand and it pops firmly into place and locks. Now how hard was that?

The engine is the star of this bike. It’s louder than you might expect, and it has a sport’s car sort of muffled snarl to it. I was thinking about adding the Akrapovic slip-ons (hey get all you can while the Boss is in “Yes Dear” mode, right?) but the dealer talked me out of it. Appears that was a great call as the engine sound is acceptable stock. The 2018 seems louder than the 2017 I rode that sounded like a sewing machine. I kept the rpm under 5K for the new-bike run in, but the character is there. Power and pull are good too. However, once you yank the throttle of an unrestricted Hayabusa engine not much else impresses you.

The throttle on the BMW takes some getting used to. There is a delay in the take up that is positively annoying. Maybe BMW thinks the engine is too powerful to give the rider immediate access to all of it. Whatever they were thinking, it may well be a more dangerous scenario having such a delay between when you ask for power and when you get it. I sincerely hope someone can hack the throttle by wire system and fix this mistake. Delay aside, fueling of the big six is perfect. The engine deceptively provided some impressive thrust.

The clutch is a bit quirky too. It has a very short throw that is at the end of the clutch pull. You feel nothing in the lever and must go by the engine RPMs dropping or the bike moving forward. Fortunately, the engine is simply unstallable. I’m thinking some of the clutch’s eccentric behavior may be due to the shift assist pro. On the positive side, effort is very low and should not be a problem in backed up traffic.
The transmission is tight. Shifting is light with solid engagement. I was unable to find neutral while moving, like say down shifting coming up to a light. Once stopped neutral reappears in the shift pattern but only when going in the up direction from first. This transmission is frankly a bit sloppy when shifting by clutch. However, use the shift assist pro for clutchless up and down shifts and the system becomes amazingly smooth. The bike is new though, and it’s not unusual for transmissions to take a few miles to wear in.

Braking is amazing. Between the big BMW calipers, ABS, and the Duo-lever front suspension, braking is smooth and uneventful no matter how hard you drop anchor. I believe the brakes are linked. My only gripe is the lever pull is very hard. I have become used to two finger full stops with the Brembo setup on my Hayabusa, so I was surprised to find myself full handing the BMW’s brake lever.
Ride & handling are interesting. I am convinced that the BMW design team’s goal was to make the bike handle like an expensive sports car. The slow throttle, the indirect feel of the duo-lever front end, and weight distribution of the bike make for a somewhat isolated feeling that takes some getting used to. The duo-lever communicates little of the typical forces you get used to from a motorcycle’s front end. There is no dive during breaking. There is no rise with acceleration. There is just composure, sort of like the bike does what you tell it without telling you how it’s doing it.

I have spent a ton of cash and time making my Hayabusa an exceptional handling motorcycle. It has risers in the rear, the best tires, weight loss all around and factory tech setup Ohlins suspension. You feel everything that rolls on under the bike. The suspension is tuned to tell the rider what’s there while not letting anything disrupt the process. I can even feel things as subtle as different pavement formulations. Going from this level of information to the K16’s near “feeling blackout” is startling. It’s sort of like most high-performance suspensions are judged by how much they tell you and the BMW just says “Hey, I got this”. This more than anything is why I affectionately call the K1600 a “Car without a cage”.

Like most modern big bikes, the K16 doesn’t feel like a hippo once it’s moving. But like most big bikes, there are hints, lol! The Hayabusa is reasonably comfortable on a track. It won’t win a race with a true sport bike, but it will surprise the posers – even in the turns. The K16 would be totally out of place on a track, period. Still, turning is effortless even in tighter twisties. I have discussed the lack of feel from the front end, but there are also absolutely no objections to what you are telling the bike to do. In fact, the top heavy K16 is startlingly willing to lay over. This appears to be a feeling mainly, as I had no trouble keeping this under control. But it is a specific character of the bike that takes a bit of “socialization”.

Rider modes and suspension setting are straight forward. If you are coming from a sport or sporty bike, I’ll make this simple for you: Dynamic, hard as possible.

More trivial things abound. The windshield is cool and works. I never understood why you need a motorized shield, but you can tune out noise and where the wind hits you, if at all. When I look into the mirrors all I see is what’s behind me. Mirrors that work, now there’s something really innovative! The headlights have “halos” that sort of flicker, very cool looking and difficult for a car to miss, though undoubtedly somehow, they will. I wonder if BMW could somehow make their cellphones flicker? The storage abounds on the bike all over the place and it has central locking. I hope the central locking system is robust because you must push the button 3-4 time before you’re confident all is locked!

I found it amazing that all the gizmos on this bike are so evolved that using them seems natural in just an hour of riding. Switches are where you think they should be and they work completely intuitively. If you are an anti-gadget purist, you need to experience how this bike it implements rider aids. It will change your paradigm. Ironically, it’s the handling of this bike that will feel the most alien.

After an hour on the bike however, I had an epiphany: This bike handles like a car and you only get the feedback necessary to make good riding decisions. Once I got it the Bike became amazing and very fun to push into a turn. It is a great mile munching tool for doing great distances in a spirited way. BMW understands these goals as well as any bike and it is clear the K1600 GT is a bike with an exceptional pedigree and relentless engineer’s hell bent on perfection. The big question is “Am I happy I plopped down the better part of $30K on this bike”. The answer to that is yes. I don’t think there is a better bike for what I plan to do with the K16. Still, the smartest move I made in this deal was keeping the Hayabusa.

K16 01.jpg

K16 02.jpg

K16 03.jpg

Man those things are expensive!
This is what we pay for them here in NZ...
https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mo...00.htm?rsqid=51cea01bb22c4edfb7c838e922cf114f

Heres a used one not far from me so I'm gonna take it for a test ride soon, I know the sales manager, he's been trying to fit me into a new Busa for ages lol.
Maybe a K1600 GT would be the right bike to tour the US on next year rather than a KTM Super Adventure 1290?
View attachment 1578849

This is a 2012 with 16500kms.
What's the price of a new one in the US Arch?
Looks like a fantastic touring bike, 6 cyls and 160hp, nice. Loads of torque.
Have you taken delivery of yours yet? If so, what's your impression after the Busa?

New a GTL is in the $32K OTD range. There are several discounts that only come to $2-3K less depending on if you qualify. Nite the Bagger version is about $4K less and the GT is in the middle.
The GT is the perfect bike for your adventure but have a read of my post here this morning. Also they hold their value so when you dump it at the end of the trip that's a consideration.

Cheers

PS: the 2017 K1600 is identical for the most part to the 2018 other than color options and some minor equipment updates, so this is a chance to save $4-$5K or even more on a slightly used version. BMW will sell bikes for owners, so you can get well checked out used bikes from dealers. If you log the trip or even vblog it, a dealer might sponsor you. That doesn't mean a complete free ride but maybe something off. The Rt1200 is an equally good choice for this trip, so that's closer to $24K new. Then there is the C14 Kawasaki that's less than $20K but getting rid of it might be a problem. I'm pretty sure you can just return the bike to the BMW dealer and they will either buy it outright or sell it on consignment.

Last edited:
I have a 17 HD Streetglide and I am not impressed with the whole bike. The new 107” M8 is a great engine, but for some reason HD decided to make it ride like a buck wagon. I previously had an 11 Streetglide that rode like a Cadillac. The 17 is so rough, I had to leave my wife at a shopping center since it was killing her neck and travel almost an hour back to the motel to get my truck and come back and get her. It is a shame you spend over $20k for a new bike and then have to pay a lot more just to get the bike tolerable. Even though my wife won’t ride with me on the Busa, It is a lot more comfortable than the Streetglide.

Hey Arch, that was an awesome review on the K1600 GT, thanks so much for taking the time and effort to write it up and post it for our information.
You pretty much answered all my questions and some!
I will make some inquiries with a few U.S. BMW dealers regarding used '17 model bikes and their buy-back criteria.
Again, thanks a lot and enjoy your new 'Starship Enterprise'.
We hope to hear of more experiences on your Beemer. :beerchug:

Note the intake has some huge long runners and there is one throttle body - like a car engine. There are more injectors though I believe. The fueling is buttery smooth and there will be no issues with throttle body syncing. The intake roar is very noticeable too.

fallenarch post some more good close up pics of your sweet ride.:bowdown:
Can we see some pics of instrumentation and gauges :cool:

Note the intake has some huge long runners and there is one throttle body - like a car engine. There are more injectors though I believe. The fueling is buttery smooth and there will be no issues with throttle body syncing. The intake roar is very noticeable too.
Hi That is one wild bike! But not for me. I wish you all the best with it and many many miles of fun! Then think what you would have if you spent $30,000.00 on the busa?

I had a 79 burgundy CBX, what a great bike, smooth, fast and sounded like a Ferrari. I also tried out the K1600 because it reminded me of the CBX. I tried to trade my 11 Streetglide in on it, but the BMW dealer would not take Harley’s. The BMW was quick, fast and smooth. It had the clutch less shifter also which was cool. I really liked the BMW a lot.

Hi That is one wild bike! But not for me. I wish you all the best with it and many many miles of fun! Then think what you would have if you spent $30,000.00 on the busa?

Hey man I thought a lot about just working more on the Busa. To be honest, I really don't have any need for more than stock HP and I already have Ohlins, Brembos, etc. so I wouldn't need $10K to max out my Busa shopping list. I know you are building am amazing Busa and I can't weight to see it. I bet it is going to be amazing.

WOW Good for you.
I'm sure you will enjoy that bike as much or more than the Busa, as things are a little different the older we get.
The Cruise Control all by itself will add enjoyment to your long distance rides more then you can imagine.
I don't know if you had a Rostra on your Busa or not but the factory cruise will probably be better than the
one in your car.
The power may not be as strong as your Busa, but the other features will compensate for that very well.

If I was richer I would look at one of those bikes too. But I went with a Connie (used) and with all the upgrades
of about $4K into it, I'm still about ½ of what you spent. Granted it's not the same but like you I still have
my Busa and I'm glad I do - but I have put more miles on my Connie then the Busa the last 2 years because
I'm not getting any younger and sometimes the upright seating position is more comfortable for a long ride.
I assume that will be your experience as time goes by too.

Great first impression report.

Will be looking forward to more reports like can it carry more then your Busa did, and if you can get
the throttle play reduced or if it's something you will adapt to etc.

Show us the difference in GPS units too - please. Is it that much smaller?

Back