Bst Carbon Fiber Wheels For Gen Ii

I think I can speak for us all , and say good one Bigdev , you obviously have our best interests of safety at heart , and we thank you for your genuine concerns and efforts . This is another fine example of comradeship that us Busa owners and indeed the general motorcycle community are about . Our concerns for each other are border less when it comes to the brother and sisterhood of motorcycling . This is exactly why I joined up to the Org. , to share experience with like mined folk from around the globe .
Cheers

I feel the same about the BST's ROADTOAD, I'm still running them after all but just want you guys to be aware of the possible damage from seemingly incongruous incidents and to do a post incident check that's all. :) I shall be gettingin touch with the UK Ministry of transport this week and will put an update on here as soon as I receive one, probably in about 5 years the way our Government (all lol) works. :)

I have contacted the UK Ministry of Transport via email regarding Carbon Fibre Wheels today (2nd October 2017) so I will keep you posted if and when they respond. :)

I think I can speak for us all , and say good one Bigdev , you obviously have our best interests of safety at heart , and we thank you for your genuine concerns and efforts . This is another fine example of comradeship that us Busa owners and indeed the general motorcycle community are about . Our concerns for each other are border less when it comes to the brother and sisterhood of motorcycling . This is exactly why I joined up to the Org. , to share experience with like mined folk from around the globe .
Cheers

Thanks ROADTOAD, when I first contacted BST I said straight away in my email that I wasn't after compensation or a new wheel, (I had already organised one) I was just concerned about the safety factor, their replies have left me less than confident that they are as concerned as I am. If I was them, after I had supplied pics of the damage, I would have asked for the wheel for testing, which I also suggested in my first email, let's face it, they are soooo light, it wouldn't have cost much to ship it haha :cool:

Been very fortunate to be offered an excellent deal on a set of low mileage Gen 2 compatible front 3.5 " and rear 6.00 " x 17 " BST rims from a very good mate . I fully know the life history of these rims and know they are going to be a great spare set , with the rear 6.00" an alternative option to the 6.25" I am currently running on the L2 . I plan on another bike , a project bike (Gen 2 Busa) for sometime in the future , so will possibly run the rim combination I don't choose to use on the L2 streetbike . I will also be interested in trying out either the Pirelli SC2 190/60 or the 200/60 on my respective rim options in future with the SC1 upfront . I have heard very good things from my racer mates about these new tires . I got to say , I am well and truly in deep with this seemingly addiction , to these oh so very sweet BST carbon beauties .
Cheers

I have contacted the UK Ministry of Transport via email regarding Carbon Fibre Wheels today (2nd October 2017) so I will keep you posted if and when they respond. :)

Got a reply from the UK Ministry of Transport today saying they were passing my concerns onto the Vehicle Safety Branch, so it seems they are not brushing it under the carpet like I thought they may. I will keep you guys posted when they respond :)

Email from BST yesterday 27th Sept 2017

Thank you for getting in touch, upon receiving your email, serial numbers and photos in June I forwarded it onto Giles and Ben from HPS (our distributor in the UK) from whom you bought your wheels and I know that they have been in contact with you and confirmed that a replacement wheel was ordered.

We are very confident in HPS’s ability to deal with the situation and I am positive that Giles and Ben have discussed the safety aspects with you and trust that you have already received your replacement wheel.

My response
Hi Charmaine and yes I did get a replacement wheel (at a the cost price of approx £800.00) but the reason I contacted you was that I'm more concerned about the safety aspects of the BST wheels on UK roads especially with having so many potholes here.
As I explained I was going round a busy motorway roundabout so at a low speed when I hit the shallow pothole and didn't realise the damage that had been caused until I got home and was cleaning the bike.
If a shallow pothole and low speed caused so much damage I dread to think what would have happened had I hit a deeper pothole at a higher speed, the result could have been catastrophic.
I'm so concerned that I am considering contacting the Ministry of Transport here to have Carbon wheels (not just yours) properly tested for suitability on UK roads.

BST's reply this morning 28th Sept 2017.
In answer to your concerns for safety BST wheels are the most rigorously tested carbon wheels in the world and they meet and exceed the test criteria which are applied to aluminium and any other metal / alloy wheels. Testing is done as per the JWL impact standards and applicable to rotational, torsional and cornering tests. It may help you to know that we are able to do all of these tests on a single wheel, while the law allows for 1 wheel per test. It’s impossible to say what actually happened to your wheel. There are many instances that have proven the strength of our wheels.

My reply this morning.
Thank you for your reply.
I'm sure they are rigorously tested but if you look at various bike forums around the world there are many instances of failure so I'm still concerned, so I will be approaching the UK ministry of Transport about them with the pictures of my wheel.

My next step is to indeed approach the UK Ministry of Transport in the near future so we will see what, if anything, comes of that. I will as always keep you posted.
Here's a reminder of the damage caused to the wheel.View attachment 1576674
that's our wonderful governments... keeping us safe,,,,, lol... a reminder that all this current technology can only take us sooooo far... I cant believe they had the balls to charge u the replacement cost... you wold think they would wanna pay YOU to keep your mouth shut....

My .02 cents on carbon fiber and epoxy. I used CF and epoxy extensively with my radio control helicopters and airplanes. What I've learned is CF and epoxy will delaminate much more so in the sun and heat. No matter how clean and careful I was, the CF part and glue would always come apart especially after a couple of years. My models sat in the house climate controlled 90 percent of it's life!! Unless someone has come up with some kind of super epoxy, then buyer beware. Man, even Airbus with their CF vertical stabilizer made out CF was falling off the jets especially during a thunderstorm. After sitting on tarmacs in the sun and heat, sure enough, delamination. After the crash, they would always find the vertical stab. by itself, in one piece. It's epoxied on and not a good way to do things. My point is get the wheels, but man keep a close eye on them especially after being in the sun parked outside. Get a good strong LED light, bring in a garage, get strong magnifying lense of some sort and examine closely especially if you hit a rut or hole in the road. Oh we don't have those now do we!! If these things come apart at 100-170, you're probably a goner. Not trying to be a naysayer, just my experience with CF and these things are damn expensive.

I used CF and epoxy extensively with my radio control helicopters and airplanes. What I've learned is CF and epoxy will delaminate much more so in the sun and heat. No matter how clean and careful I was, the CF part and glue would always come apart especially after a couple of years.
I'm no expert on CF but can you compare a DIY epoxy CF job (basically fiberglass) to an autoclaved CF product? Owners would be screaming about failures if these weren't good wheels. I would be concerned if I ever hit a hard bump though. More so than if it was a metal wheel.

I know it's 3 years later, but which model R1 wheels fit gen 2 ?
Thank you
Not to get off topic before this guys question gets answered.

You mean Airbus didn't autoclave their vertical stabilizer???

I'm no expert on CF but can you compare a DIY epoxy CF job (basically fiberglass) to an autoclaved CF product? Owners would be screaming about failures if these weren't good wheels. I would be concerned if I ever hit a hard bump though. More so than if it was a metal wheel.

Not to get off topic before this guys question gets answered.

You mean Airbus didn't autoclave their vertical stabilizer???
Already thought about that and yes I'm sure they did. I believe it can happen. I just haven't heard much about there being a problem with motorcycle wheels. I saw one video showing a bubble that had formed in a Rotobox wheel but nothing about such problems with a BST. I'll admit, I would be extra cautious with CF wheels. I don't trust CF ability to take a blow as much as I would aluminum or magnesium wheels.

Has anyone figured out what year R1 wheel fits the Gen2 busa yet?

CF is a tested product and its reliability and production quality is very good. It's not as strong as forged aluminum and I would go CF over forged magnesium any day. There is no point in magnesium now the CF has matured. But CF is a high performance product that is made for ultimate performance. It requires care. Like regular inspection, avoiding things in the road, and watching loading. Not to mention care in tire changes.

But make no mistake CF wheels do deliver in performance.

Wife and I got out for a bit yesterday. Eight years and ~15k miles the BST's are still doing great.

IMG_20190630_193951~2.jpg

IMG_20190630_201652.jpg

Back