Fairing Removal, How Many Times?

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
Low mileage bike, so I do this once in a few years.

Every time I have forgotten the experience, so it is like learning the tricks all over from the beginning. Once I have done it, I think next time will be a piece of cake, but as the years pass one forgets.

I'm just wondering how many times these can be removed before something is damaged or scratched in the process?

This was my 3rd time, how many times have you done this?

I can't imagine trusting a dealer to do this perfectly, would scare the hell out me....

I've probably had mine off 7 or 8 times in 6 years,once a year to change oil and filter(I only average 2,000 miles a year)and once when I changed out the exhaust.So far so good,but every time I'm still waiting for something to break.

haha--I know what you mean. It's almost like the first time every time I do it. I've had mine off 8 or nine times. I'm always real careful every time and I've never broken any of those tiny tabs.

Once you've got the routine down, it's all sweet. Yes you end up imposing a certain "wear" on the various bits that go click-clack, but as long as you've got the sequence it's ok. Helps if you've got either the manual, mine is the Haynes one, or watch some of the video tutorials on Youtube.

I'll do most of the basic servicing myself, only goes to the dealer for the valve clearance services, so I've had the fairings off regularly enough to not sweat bullets anymore...

Suzuki say not to change oil filter every service so no need for fairing removal .I have always changed oil and filter together and my service is due I was thinking about just replacing oil so not having to remove fairings, what do you guys think!

Suzuki say not to change oil filter every service so no need for fairing removal .I have always changed oil and filter together and my service is due I was thinking about just replacing oil so not having to remove fairings, what do you guys think!

I'd change the filter every time I change oil. The only exception would be if I dumped oil early to do some work on the engine (but then the fairings would be off anyway). As a rule, I'd change oil and filter together every time but if you don't feel like it this time, I'm sure it won't hurt.

Take my fairings off multiple times a year/month. Doing checks after racing at the track. No issues with fairings being scratched, damaged, or lost fittings. Just need to do it right and they should last.

Taken off the right side off a few times but never the left side yet seems to be a new experience every time I do this job :banghead:

I can't even count how many times mine have been off, probably dozens.

I change the filter every other oil change, but I also change the oil every 2k-3k miles.

Is there a way to make the sliding part of either side fairings a bit easier? Maybe applying a bit of wax vetween the main sliding areas and leaving it on. I would think almost anything else would leave a oily film which would retain dust/debris making them even harder to slide. Anyone ever try this ?

I had both sides off recently for maintenance coolant and sprocket change ect this time around the fairings went on fairly easy I think like anything else you have to be patient and just take your time with it Gus Man I tried a little silicon spray in the past to help with sliding but I think being patient works better :thumbsup:

I would think almost anything else would leave a oily film which would retain dust/debris making them even harder to slide. Anyone ever try this ?
I use silicone spray too and I think it does make a little dirt stick but nothing much. The fairings don't come apart any harder but they do slide together a bit easier. Yeah, that's a pain. ...and then get that little point in position on top of the soft plastic part?? You can't do it without flexing the fairing a little. Just take your time. It gets a little easier. Still never broke any fairings installing, just dropping which is a PITA x 100!

Its just unnerving hearing those quick/brutal pops!!! I think Ill try some heavy paste wax as its a dry lube of sorts. Ill post results.... Removing the forks on next days off for seal change and going to a 10w oil I think.

Most of my parts are have arrived. Yoshi R77s, Yoshi fender eliminator, Yoshi Bar ends, OEM filters. I decided to go with all new fairings while they still are available to get that "Fresh Look" back. New Metzler M3's.

I have replaced all my bodywork twice , always fitted on my own and full OEM including tail section , but that 3 piece only once . I was going to invest in full carbon bodywork , and could of for all the factory kit I have bought , but have learn't how easy it is to waste to varying degrees these panels so decided not to !!!!
When I bought the Busa , I came from old skool GSXR , so what a surprise to find an amazing 'break apart' almost , fairing design . Now my old mate said he'd show me , but never got around to it , so youtube and BusaBlanca and son marvelous step by step tutorial . Man they saved me grief for sure .
The reason I replaced the full bodywork twice , is because first I dropped the bike maneuvering off a mates driveway , and scratches all over right side including top fairing . Second time , badly overfilled the tank on my way to hills , and right side corner and overflow pissed petrol on rear tire , and bang low speed slide . The left side was scratched in trailer going up to NT Australia to the track holiday , and tailpiece was replaced first right side indicator housing bulge and then later with the petrol drop , the 1 piece main tail section and another indicator thingy . I do not have insurance , but I got people in the trade who give me trade price luckily . It takes me a while to get it back on the road , and if winter s approaching , I will fit up any trick pieces I may have collected up . I love the way every panel interconects , then when everything is seated and ready , I press it all together and pin / press button it up .:thumbsup:

Back