2005 Hayabusa Fuel Issues

jgitt

Registered
I have a 2005 Hayabusa with ~16k miles on it. About 2 weeks ago bike felt sluggish so I threw some Seafoam into the tank. Ran that tank through and did the same thing on the next tank. After putting the sea foam in it I noticed a couple times on the way to work the FI light would come on momentarily and the bike would sound like a vtwin for a second, really choppy, and obviously misfiring. This went away within a few seconds each time it happened which is may 3-4, I guessed it to be dirt passing through injector. Today on my way to work it started and wouldn't go away. I had to limp my bike home. I checked the codes and got a C00. I've read a lot and it sounds like same symptoms as dirty fuel filter but why would It be dumping gas into exhaust? Could it be a bad injector? Any other suggestions for troubleshooting? Plan on tearing into it tonight

Symptoms:
FI light on
Misfire/choppy
Fuel dumping into exhaust (looks like a dumped fuel can right into exhaust)
White smoke (fuel burning off the exhaust is my guess)

When were the plugs last changed? Busas seem to run rich and I've found that they are sensitive to fouled plugs, if they haven't been changed for a while, it could be just down to plugs, worth starting simple and cheap first.

I change them every winter, and yes my Busa is def on the rich side. Last night I pulled the plugs and they were all black, 1 was wet. I proceeded to pull the fuel rail and injectors. Im having a performance shop across town flow test, clean, fix etc. They are confident they'll be able to bring them back to new condition. I really think the sea foam I put in my tank knocked some dirt loose and one of the injectors got stuck open and just continued to dump fuel into the cylinder causing the astronomical amount of raw gas to dump into the exhaust. Tonight I'll be blowing out the rest of the fuel lines and pulling the pump to clean the tank and pump assembly to ensure theres nothing left in there to plug up the injectors again. After doing that I'll reassemble once I get my injectors back and see how she runs. Hopefully its not a dead coil pack.

Any suggestions on helping with the richness? Currently running K&N intake, Pair valve mod, big airbox mod, and voodoo exhaust with a PC3. I plan to upgrade to a 5 this winter and have a local shop dyne tune it but would like to finish the riding season out first.

Thanks,

I just got the injectors back from the shop. I'll be putting the bike back together this evening and testing it. If I'm still having the issues I'll start by removing the PC. Thanks for the advice.

Can you remove the pc and see how it runs? I've seen so many posts with the pc turning out to be the problem.

I cannot say a never saw a powercommander go bad, but it is rare. Disconnecting it would be a good first step. Reconnecting it and getting a custom tune done with the powercommander (in good hands) would be a great second step . . . IMHO . . .

So bitter sweet update. I removed the power commander and the bike quit misfiring, and quit dumping raw fuel out of the exhaust. It felt great, ran better than it has in a long time it felt. I took it out for a 20 minute ride, filled it up with 93 octane as usual. I went home and parked it for a few hours while i finished up some things and then took off again to head to a friends house. About 5 miles down the road i was sitting at a stop light and the bike just shut off. When i say shut off, it didnt hesitate, or act like it was having any problems. It was idling fine and just shut off like you hit the kill switch. I thought it was weird but didnt think much and went to start it again and the bike just cranked. No spit and cough like it was trying to fire just cranked and cranked.

Long story short, i pushed the bike 3 miles to a friends how b/c im to cheap to tow it lol. I had to fly out for work soon after but i did get a chance to put power commander back on to see if it would start, and it wouldnt. i pulled it right back off after verifying that. I pulled all 4 plugs which looked good, i had them out and cranked bike and verified they were sparking. I put it in dealer mode and no codes. it just cranks and cranks and every now and then it gives maybe 1 small "Cough" like it tried to fire and thats it. Im at a loss, and currently on the road for the week for work.

I ordered a multi meter since i didnt have one to test the battery but battery is new this year, and its cranking like its not weak. But i did put a trickle charger on it before i left and the next day the trickle charger was still indicating it was still charging.

Can ANYONE recommend me checking anything at all? I'm so stumped.

Summarized Version
- bike was misfiring/dumping raw fuel into exhaust
- had injectors professionally cleaned
-pulled PCIII and problem went away.
-rode bike for 20 min and parked for 2 hours.
-went for 2nd ride and bike 5 miles down the road while idling at a stop light
-Bike cranks but wont start
-plugs are sparking
-battery seems good and is new but after 24 hours on trickle charge wasnt at 100%

PS. i did gap the plugs down a wee bit more than they were before putting them back in after the initial fuel problem. I believe at like .026 iirc

That's a pain isn't it.
Can you hear the fuel pump priming, on ignition? Are the plugs wet, after cranking? 93 octane sounds low, I've been told that 95 98 is best, I don't even think we have 93 in the uk (I might be wrong).
If it's cranking and sparking, it should run, unless one of your sensors has failed, cam shaft sensor, ckps (crank shaft position sensor), fuel pump could've failed, blocked internal fuel fuel tank filter, injectors not opening, injector shields/filters partially blocked, fuel pump relay failed, can't remember if there is a fuel pump fuse, side stand switches and tip over switches can give problems, kill switch.
Check the connection, where the pc was plugged into, maybe a wire has come loose (I have no experience with PCs).
I'd be chasing fuel problems and everything related to the fuel system, seeing as the bike was running ok.
Could also try emptying that fuel out of the tank and put some different fuel in, seeing as it sounds like it started playing up after you fuelled up?

I can definitely hear the pump priming upon ignition. And the highest octane we have in KC, Missouri is 93, unless i go with race fuel. I've run 93 past 4 years with no problem. I am beginning to think its a fuel issue because plugs werent wet and im not smelling a strong gas odor like i should be if its cranking and injectors are working. would a cam shaft sensor throw a code though? I did pull the fuel pump out when i had the injectors out last week just to look at it and it was clean with hardly any dirt in the tank, maybe a spec or two. I didnt see any sock filter or any type of filter in the tank. is the filter internal to the pump? I did check the ECU plug thoroughly and nothing seems to be out of the ordinary. I appreciate your feedback, gives me some things to try when i get back home in a couple days.

How recently were these injectors cleaned? And how many hours or miles did you put on the bike after the injectors were done?

The injectors were just cleaned last week. Maybe 30-40 min of riding on them after having them cleaned and flow tested. All came back with excellent results. They werent really that bad to begin with but it was something i chose to have done when i was chasing down the raw fuel dump problem.

The injectors were just cleaned last week. Maybe 30-40 min of riding on them after having them cleaned and flow tested. All came back with excellent results. They werent really that bad to begin with but it was something i chose to have done when i was chasing down the raw fuel dump problem.

That is kind of what I was expecting to hear. Are you aware that one of the chemicals used during the injector cleaning process can cause the injectors to stick? That is something I found out the hard way when I received professionally cleaned injectors and I let them sit on the shelf for a week before I put them in the bike. Now I am having nothing but problems, in spite of the bike finally starting (with starter fluid) and running awhile. I don't even want to take this thing out in the street, and I will probably swap out the "cleaned" injectors for a working set that has never been touched. By the way, our cleaned injectors were also not bad and came back with excellent results. Except the fact that they are not working properly. I will make the swap and report back.

Please keep me updated. I may see if i i can find someone local with a working set of injectors i can test with.

also, will GSXR1000 injectors work or testing with? im not 100% sure whats compatible and if im trying to find a set local to test with i want to know what all i can use.

also, will GSXR1000 injectors work or testing with? im not 100% sure whats compatible and if im trying to find a set local to test with i want to know what all i can use.

2002 Gsxr1000 is the same, so is 2000-2001 Gxsr750. That part number probably interchanges with more models, do a search. I just swapped my injectors for a fresh "unmolested" set and the bike starts much, much better. After I let the bike sit overnight I will know for sure. I will check back in tomorrow . . .

I can definitely hear the pump priming upon ignition. And the highest octane we have in KC, Missouri is 93, unless i go with race fuel. I've run 93 past 4 years with no problem. I am beginning to think its a fuel issue because plugs werent wet and im not smelling a strong gas odor like i should be if its cranking and injectors are working. would a cam shaft sensor throw a code though? I did pull the fuel pump out when i had the injectors out last week just to look at it and it was clean with hardly any dirt in the tank, maybe a spec or two. I didnt see any sock filter or any type of filter in the tank. is the filter internal to the pump? I did check the ECU plug thoroughly and nothing seems to be out of the ordinary. I appreciate your feedback, gives me some things to try when i get back home in a couple days.
The filter in the tank, is in a plastic moulded assembly next to the fuel pump, they are stupid expensive from Suzuki, there is a mod you can do to it but the injector ideas, sound more feasible because the filter wouldn't suddenly block and it wouldn't cause your plugs to be dry.

Verdict - this particular bike the problem was the battery. I have seen this before with 2002-2007s, the bike seems to crank fine but does not start. A fresh, new battery did the trick . . .

I tried jumping it off my buddy car the night it died. didn't give it much time to charge before trying it since the bike was already cranking over fast. But it didn't make a difference. Its at my buddys house and he said the trickle charger is now indicating full charge and it still won't start...obviously the basics tells us it can only be 3 things, Fuel, Air, or Spark. And I saw the plugs sparking. Nothing restricting air, so when I get home I'm gonna look into fuel system. if it was timing wouldn't it still pop and spit like it was trying to start instead of just dry cranking?

Like I said, try a jumper pack. I had a bike here that was on a 6 amp charger all day, it didn't make a difference. Once I jumped it with a starter pack, it fired right up. I put a new battery in it and it fires right up. Try that simple step and move on from there if it does nothing for you. 02-07 Gen 1s have issues sometimes, some worse than others. I would be very interested in the fix in your case . . .

Back