Vance Hines Exhaust Question

Tb3

Registered
I installed my vance hines exhaust and I love it!
I got it new for for $330 shipped from flea Bay.
Apparently the chrome cans must not be as popular as the black cans. I wanted black, but couldn't find them for less than $800. I opted for the chrome and scuffed them up to a super dull finish with some red Scotch brite and coated them with some low gloss ceramic vht rattle can paint. I drilled out the emblems, painted over the red with high-heat gloss and riveted them back on.
I haven't rode with them yet, hope to ride tommorow.

My question is has anyone removed the baffles in these? I don't have any intentions of doing so, don't want them any louder and I love the sound, I'm just curious if they do come out. I removed the end tip that has the one screw when I painted them, and it looked like that was all that was holding the baffle in.
Thanks!

20170504_205651.jpg

Baffles are held in by one bolt or one rivot.
Nice job on the paint, they look like they came that way.

Reactions: Tb3
Have a good look @ your springs ! Look nice , but expect down road for paint to fall off .
Paint , and stainless steel do not mix well like mild steel / alum / other materials .
Why you dont see DeLorean cars painted as they are made of stainless .

Have a good look @ your springs ! Look nice , but expect down road for paint to fall off .
Paint , and stainless steel do not mix well like mild steel / alum / other materials .
Why you dont see DeLorean cars painted as they are made of stainless .

good point on the paint c10!
I have had pretty good luck in the past if I did a good prep first, but certainly don't mean that cant change. I guess since it only takes a couple minutes to remove them and a couple bucks for another can of paint, if I get a year or two out of one paint job, no big deal to do them again. I'll report back if I have any issues.
I was actually thinking about removing them in a month or so of heat cycles and scuffing them up and doing another good coat over the foundation, when I do that, if the insides are easily assessable I think I would like to fill in the 2 rivot holes in each pipe and eliminate the logo plate. What would you suggest for that? I was thinking either jb weld or some sort of high-heat epoxy.

I like the logo AND it adds to making the paint look factory.
My advise would be to "break in" the paint (if you haven't already) I find when I run just a few seconds then kill it progressing a little longer each time till it smokes a bit. It bakes in the paint on instead of burning it off. Maybe doesnt make too big a difference on the cans (cooler than pipes) but worth a try as it only costs fifteen minutes of your time.

Reactions: Tb3
I've gotten in 3 good rides since the install, so I guess its probably baked in as good as its gonna get.
paint still looks as nice as the day I sprayed them. I'll probably just leave them alone unless I see the paint start to fade or flake off.
Thanks guys!

Back