Updated/modded Gen 1 Or Newer Gen 2

Carm Mast

Registered
ok guys and gals
I know this question will leave me more confused than when I started but figured it will be a good topic for discussion. I never understood why someone would spend thousands modifying an older car or bike, but I find myself in that predicament because I'm tight on finances at the moment.
The question is. Do I modify the crap out of my 2001 hayabusa, or buy a newer gen 2.
I currently have full two bros exhaust with power commander, all mapped out nice , hellbars and buell peg mod... so minor upgrades.
But was thinking that I want to go "faster ;) "
So do I start upgrading engine or save that money and just get a newer faster gen 2.... pros and cons?

Last edited:
Hey Nosbig... well let's put it this way
When friends buy newer bikes and are taking me at stop lights it's pissing me off and messes with my ego...lol . so I want to go quicker off the hop

0404EF5D-BEAC-4538-B6DE-DE5EA93E45FA.JPG
Here is my dyno run when my exhaust was installed... mechanic says it's where it should be for the 2001

+3 in the rear or -1 on the front would make a big difference. Or both, but that would be a lot.

If you have enough change laying around, a stage 1 would make a noticeable difference as well.

Ok so the sprocket changes will give me a faster 1/4 mile and I'm guessing the swing arm will keep me from wheelies of the start
Stage 1 turbo would be sweet...I'm guessing 2 to 3 grand for turbo
Prob another 1500 to 2000 for swing arm so that's roughly 5000 grand
My bike is prob worth 4000 now
So if I trade in the bike and add another 5000 towards a newer model would that be the easier solution? I'm back where I started I don't know if the more sensible route is to upgrade current or switch to gen 2
Lol just re read my post ...I have a hayabusa a beast of a bike and want to go faster and in the same breath am asking what's sensible LOL!!!

Last edited:
Btw do you think I'd have to remap with a sprocket change?
What do you guys think of the Dyno run?
Does that look good for my year of bike?

new version is not all that much faster. A turbo will not help you off the line. Super charger will help but you are looking at 7k i would guess. 1441 would help a bunch but once again decent money required. If you looking to hang with friends from a start 0 to what ever..gears stretch and nos.

Front sproket is cheaper just do that. Buddy accidentally went -2 on his gen 2 but loved it. Think -1 on a gen1 is a 16 tooth. Just save your money. If money is tight you shouldn't waste it on depreciating asset. But modding a bike/cars is stupid fun so we all do it.

Btw no remapping needed.

Sprockets won't cost much to try out. Maybe $300 or so with a new chain.

If that doesn't do it - do I dare say look at a BMW1000RR? Friend of mine just got one and loves it.
Compared to even a GenII there is no comparison. All the electronics on it make it a much safer bike to ride.
The stock seat is so good on them, that very few after market are sold. I'd bet, you would be leaving your friends at stop lights if you had one.

Don't get me wrong I like my Busa just fine. But how long have we been waiting for a GenIII ? With nothing in sight? Bold New Graphics don't turn me on.
And don't make it go any faster.

Can't hurt to look. :D

If that doesn't do it - do I dare say look at a BMW1000RR? Friend of mine just got one and loves it.
Compared to even a GenII there is no comparison. All the electronics on it make it a much safer bike to ride.
The stock seat is so good on them, that very few after market are sold. I'd bet, you would be leaving your friends at stop lights if you had one.

Don't get me wrong I like my Busa just fine. But how long have we been waiting for a GenIII ? With nothing in sight? Bold New Graphics don't turn me on.

I have both a GenII and a S1000RR (my track bike). Depends on what you want. The Busa is a great bike; it has tons of straight forward speed, can be modded and rides much better on long hauls than a BMW. And you can buy a used GenII in GREAT shape for HALF what a Bmw will cost you.

The S1000RR is a wicked motorcycle. It's quicker to top speed than a Busa; lighter, much better brakes and a trackday Godzilla. But I wouldn't want to try to ride it on long rides (at my age) because it doesn't have as much room to get around it.

I think it really depends what you REALLY want. Are you wanting to just have a little more off of the line or are you wanting an all around faster bike. If you are looking to get off the line a sprocket and speedohealer is the way to go. If you want to make it an all around better bike a sprocket is not going to be the final answer because you will want more. Changing sprockets are great if you want to get up and go but not if you ride highway a lot so if you do change sprockets and ride highways I wouldn't push it too far.

as for trading in a gen 1 for gen 2. I would do it but I (for some reason unknown to me) don't care to pour money into my bike if it is what I want. The gen 2 in my opinion is a better bike. The downfall is you will spend more money on it adding the things you want and you mentioned your finances are tight. However, if you sit around and wait to do what you want to your bike in just 4 years your bike will be 20 years old. In Ohio a vehicle only has to be 25 years old to have historical tags. :) Not that that is a horrible thing, since they still run great and are still fast.

Yeah my buddy just got that bike and he took me pretty easily off the light
Mind you his bike is a new 2016 and mine is 2001
The BMW is a very sweet ride

How many miles before that dyno run? My 06 dyno results were just over 160 at the wheel, pure stock.
The bike had just under 60000 km which is roughly 37000 miles when that dyno was done last year. Weather in Toronto Canada gives us roughly 5 months to ride...maybe half of that is sunny days lol

Flash it for starters. Cheap and lots of bang for the buck. Gearing will help you with the low end acceleration. Then...If your really after budget speed its hard to argue against spray. A fresh top end would be advisable with that kind of mileage and a large dose of Nitrous though. Fair warning, once started the mod bug cannot easily be put back into the bottle so to speak.

Back