Cleaning Factory Decals?

Captain Scallawag

Registered
Here's my question... is there a way to clean my factory decals? I have a white 06 SE and the white and clear parts have begun to yellow just a bit so that the white looks more creme colored than the pearl it's supposed to be... these are large decals and removal will be a pita!

Thanks
Scallawag

image.jpeg
Is it an LE like mine? I've used Plexus almost exclusively and none of my colors or decals or paint have faded. Maybe try some?

Yes it's just like yours... I can even see the color difference on your bike.. you can tell when looking at the nose where it meets the side fairing. .. maybe this is normal?or how it came?

Another question for you. . Are your silver wheels stock or are my chrome wheels stock?

Silver wheels are stock as is the black frame. I don't see any color difference in my white nose fairing as compared to the side pieces. The white areas near the silver paint can deceive the eyes because it's so close and there's more silver than white. Look at the hump. It's the 'whitest' piece on the bike...or are the eyes deceived again because it's all white and surrounded by white like the nose piece? Post a pic of yours.

I see a slight difference in both bikes. There will be no fix short of replacement.

image.jpeg

I can see the difference on yours in the top section only, but I can't see it on mine unless I magnify the pic. I'll take a look in the sunlight next ride. How many miles on yours? Mine has 63K+. Bought it new and it's been a great bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 404798

I can see the difference on yours in the top section only, but I can't see it on mine unless I magnify the pic. I'll take a look in the sunlight next ride. How many miles on yours? Mine has 63K+. Bought it new and it's been a great bike.

Your going to laugh..... ready..... 9864 miles..... the guy I bought it from never rode it cause a lot of those miles are from me and I only got the bike in the beginning of this year

View attachment 404784 Is it an LE like mine? I've used Plexus almost exclusively and none of my colors or decals or paint have faded. Maybe try some?
I'm familiar with plexus here,also silicon spray helps restore factory decals too. The side decals on my 2011 blue model started to fade so I used silicon spray to help restore them. We have a high level of UV here so fading can be a problem. If you have someone over there that knows how to apply a 3M clear wrapping over your bike it will protect your bike from nearly all that nature and road crap that will get thrown at you.

This particular problem lies in the "clear" part of the sticker. The material along with the adhesive deteriorate due to uv and oxidation.

This particular problem lies in the "clear" part of the sticker. The material along with the adhesive deteriorate due to uv and oxidation.

Just bought my 06 white with same issue. Mine was garaged and only has 2,300 miles so I don't think it's faded from uv. It could be oxidation but more likely just a yellowing of the clear in the sticker due to age. I've been detailing bikes for many years, only fix I see here will be to order replacement stickers if available.

Just bought my 06 white with same issue. Mine was garaged and only has 2,300 miles so I don't think it's faded from uv. It could be oxidation but more likely just a yellowing of the clear in the sticker due to age. I've been detailing bikes for many years, only fix I see here will be to order replacement stickers if available.
I very easily peeled the factory stickers slowly using no heat whatsoever. .. and only had an area about the size of a quarter that left any adhesive at all. I now use the large silver area as a place to put any stickers that strike me

I very easily peeled the factory stickers slowly using no heat whatsoever. .. and only had an area about the size of a quarter that left any adhesive at all. I now use the large silver area as a place to put any stickers that strike me

I'm hoping to replace my factory decals since the bike is like new otherwise. Haven't had any luv6finding them yet.

Back