What Are The Guidelines On People Test Driving Your Bike Before You Sell It?

zook

Registered
I'm thinking about selling my Busa, but there's no way that I'm going to turn a bunch of people loose to test drive it. how would you guys handle it?

C10 is right. Cash in hand just to show they are serious. If they bring the bike back the wa it left and don't want it I will return the cash. I would not expect to be able to take a test ride without the same conditions.

BILL OF SALE – MOTORCYCLE

month/ day /year

For the consideration of $X,000.00 I, Joe Blow, of Anywhere, CA (“Seller”), hereby sell, assign and transfer to Jane Doe, of Nowhere, CA (“Buyer”), the following described motorcycle (“Vehicle”).

Make: XXX
Model: XXX
Year: XXX
VIN: XXXXXXXXXX

Seller states that the mileage reading on the Odometer at time of sale is x,xxx miles. Seller certifies that to the best of Seller’s knowledge, this reading reflects the actual mileage of the Vehicle. Further, the Vehicle’s odometer has not been altered, set back or disconnected while in Seller’s possession, nor does seller have knowledge of anyone else doing so.

Buyer acknowledges the above odometer statement:

_______________________ (Buyer’s Acknowledgement)
Buyer Name

Seller warrants that the Vehicle is free and clear of any liens or encumbrances.

The Vehicle is being transferred on as “AS IS” basis, with not warranties, express or implied, as to the condition of the Vehicle.

Seller certifies the statements made in the Bill of Sale are true, to the best knowledge of the Seller.

TEST RIDE INFORMATION: If Buyer returns vehicle to Seller within 1 hour of purchase, in its original condition (save for additional mileage), Seller will fully refund the sale price and Seller will retain title to the vehicle.

________________________Start time of test ride:

________________________Buyer’s acknowledgement of test ride conditions
Buyer Name

________________________Seller’s acknowledgement of test ride conditions
Seller Name

Transfer of the Vehicle is effective May 7, 2005.

__________________________ (Seller)
Seller Name

No test rides for me. Learned that the hard way. Never again.

They can watch me test ride it

I agree with both, and have done the "watch me ride it" experience. The buyer then purchased the bike, and I delivered it to her. After which she went on her first ride and crashed it... although not a Hayabusa, thankfully.

I haven't sold a bike for a while, but my test ride policy is that I will make the test ride a condition of the sale. In other words, the buyer hands over the cash, I hand over the title, and at that point the buyer can take a spin. If the buyer comes back without having tipped the bike over, and does not want to go through with the purchase, then I'll trade the cash back for the title. Even still, before I did this, I would want to see a bike insurance policy for the buyer. There are so many risks, and I'm just not a risk taking kind of a guy... in spite of the fact that I ride the big Suzuki.

That's good Ken, sell it first and they can return it for full refund if there is a problem for a limited amount of time (1-2 hours). This addresses another issue many over look. If the test rider causes a liability issue either to property or bodily harm (including him or herself) you can be on the hook for it. By selling it to them, it's their baby and you clear yourself of liability for it.

I'm thinking about selling my Busa, but there's no way that I'm going to turn a bunch of people loose to test drive it. how would you guys handle it?
Make the potential buyer signs some sort of agreement that protects you and make sure you get full details.... Driver licences, full name address etc.
That's what I did When I sold my Rf900. Worked well for me.
If they don't wanna sign it, they obviously not keen enough to buy it.

Lol, had a guy test ride a bike one time and brought it back with a scuffed clutch cover. Decided he didn't want it. Never again!

Make the potential buyer signs some sort of agreement that protects you and make sure you get full details.... Driver licences, full name address etc.

It's a good idea in principle... but seriously, what are you going to do with a paper agreement when your bike is in a steaming pile at the end of the street?

One problem about the sell it to them then refund is the Insurance situation. Don't know if it's the same over there as the UK ... If you sell a bike you have to cancel the insurance policy on it. If you don't and he crashes it, your insurance is still liable as its active at the time of the crash. They won't pay out and you could be personally landed with a huge bill. This happened to a guy, and he took the insurance company to court over it and lost.

Of course if you do cancel the insurance you can't reactivate it ... You lose the years no claims and have to start afresh. Its a minefield.

Cash in hand does not necessarily complete the sale, or shift any liability. It's easy to speculate what we would or would not do if things ended up badly, but it's best (my opinion) to avoid the unknown and transfer ownership before a crash could occur, especially on a high performance bike combined with a rider of unknown experience. I would not want to find myself in court holding a paper agreement as my only defense.

Back