3d Kanji & Lettering?

InfiniteReality

Registered
Wanted to get some feedback. Instead of using vinyl stickers like I typically do after dipping the bike, I'm kind of thinking doing some 3D lettering and kanji's. What's everyone's thoughts about something like that?

I'm learning 3D a little at a time, here's some I just made. I'll print it when I get home and see how well it comes out.

Capture.JPG

Printer is set on standard quality and think for thin, detailed stuff like this I need to up the print quality. I think if I did an emblem, due to size it would be okay.
IMG_20161209_203356.jpg
IMG_20161209_203437.jpg

I'm going to have to say not so good. The bike is supposed to be aerodynamically slippery so raised letters are sort of against that. Also text loses clarity when shadows and such come into play. Its even a little hard to read the test runs you have here. Maybe if the graphics were the same color as the bike, so it looked like it was carved into the fairing (back to the idea of the bike being carved out of a solid chunk of material). Another cool idea would be to cut the graphic from clear plastic, then paint the face the body color. Then back light it. That would be complicated but cool. All just IMHO obviously.

Good point about the aerodynamics, never crossed my mind but makes perfect sense why bikes don't have raised letters.

That was just a raw example, but if I did actually do some for the bike I'd take them to the belt sander and make everything flat and polish it back out (if that can even be done with PLA).

They do make a transparent PLA and would be easily feasible, but would have to drill holes in the fairings. Could sand it flat and use wife's Silhoutte to cutout decals that would overlay on top of it and block the light. I'm not willing to drill holes in my fairings, but definitely want to play with the illuminating idea on random desk signs and such. I still haven't really found a viable use for this 3D printer other than it's fun to tinker with stuff.

Yeah the one we have at work rarely gets used. I have had more (non-work related) use for the laser cutter actually. But I do love your constant playing with stuff, that's cool. I need a project to keep me going too but you are considerably more industrious than I for sure!

Yeah the one we have at work rarely gets used. I have had more (non-work related) use for the laser cutter actually. But I do love your constant playing with stuff, that's cool. I need a project to keep me going too but you are considerably more industrious than I for sure!

I bet, I'd love a laser cutter too! Man, brackets would be such a breeze! I need to look up what they cost for a small one, ordering a Superlite SLC component car next week after 15yrs of saving and I know brackets will definitely be something I'll be making a lot of.

Thanks, I appreciate it, I enjoy tinkering for sure as family time allows anyways. I just need to put more effort in learning more about drawing in 3D and figure out some useful ideas. I'm with you, wish I could focus on one thing but I like variety too much apparently.

Try Sketchup. Not as powerful as programs like AutoCAD but it's very easy and works great. I also like Rhino, that is better with curves and stuff like that. Our laser cutter is really a plotter. What I really with I could talk them into is a multi-axis CNC machine.

Try Sketchup. Not as powerful as programs like AutoCAD but it's very easy and works great. I also like Rhino, that is better with curves and stuff like that. Our laser cutter is really a plotter. What I really with I could talk them into is a multi-axis CNC machine.

I've actually messed around with SketchUp some in the past (like 2009ish), but I've completely forgotten how to draw with it, lol. I've just been drawing in 2D CAD for past 15yrs or so and it's second nature to me. I'd like to learn how to draw in 3D tho, even though it won't really help me much since I'm an Inst/Elec designer instead of a piping or civil/structural designer which those people use 3D alot.

I've seen something about Rhino before, also Autodesk Inventor as well. I think those 2 programs would be my best bet, like you said, to draw compound curves and such. I just need to play with it more often.

Holy crap a multi-axis CNC would be a dream to have access too (or better yet own)!! Just imagine all the cool stuff you could do with that. It sounds like your laser cutter is a better version of wife's Silhoutte vinyl cutter. I can only guess it'd be about the same process to produce stuff. Fixing to go look them up and do some drooling, lol.

Ours is actually a laser plotter. It will cut paper, plexi, plastic, wood, and thin metal. Not sure if vinyl is ok. You have to be careful because some of the fumes are very toxic! It's about 4 years old now though so I'm sure there are cheaper, better options now. We have a community workspace here that has some really cool stuff but it's not cheap to use. They are all over and you might want to check it out. Ours is called "757 Markespace" (757 is area code).

I was just meaning how it operates, I'm pretty sure it won't do vinyl. It's pretty unreal how far stuff has come with stuff like that, 3D printing, even vinyl cutters. I remember when vinyl cutters were 2k for a simple vinyl cutter which only businesses would have.

I ended up getting busy after last post so haven't looked them up yet, but will look it up soon and report back

I had been wanting a 3D Printer for better than 10 years now, after having outsourced the creation of several highly developed prototypes, and even championing a (stillborn) project to procure one for our engineering department in a previous career. Well this Christmas I decided it was time! It didn’t take long to start making parts. I started out making small stuff, starting with a set of Frame plugs. I have since gotten into more and more elaborate parts. This is all a work in progress and some fit perfect the first time, others need a little more front end work :). I have discarded lots of prototypes in the past few months!

Some of them work well with just the teeth printed into the part, Others needed a little more grip so I put grooves for O-rings in them. Things like Wall thicknesses, radii etc. were all in play. The two Larger ones for the swingarm pivot required the most work to match up with the protruding nut on the left side and the internal hex on the right. The one for the upper right side needed to be angled to match the frame proper, so on and so forth. Lots of trial and error, but fun stuff anyways! My original prototypes were PLA, then I got a roll of PLA + that is supposed to be much stronger. When the weather warms up enough to put my printer in the garage I will likely try some ABS or PETG or one of the fancy Carbon Fiber enhanced variants.

All of my frame plugs have the Hayabusa Kanji on them for now. It is simple enough to suppress that feature in CAD and just have plain plugs. Also thought about making a set with the Suzuki "S" on them, just havent had time lately. Heres a few pics in the meantime.

Hayabusa Frame Plugs_2.JPG

Hayabusa Frame Plugs_3.JPG

P1030683.JPG

20170129_195419.jpg

20170211_192159.jpg

20170211_192227.jpg

P1030669.JPG

P1030674.JPG

P1030677.JPG

Those came out great! I'm the same as you've been wanting a 3D printer forever, just never took the plunge. In fact when I did, I bought a cheap $230 DaVinci Jr. when amazon had a flash sale. It's actually been a great printer, auto calibrates which is awesome, but do have to use their brand PLA tho. Started small to see if I'd use it and now that I've been constantly printing, it may be getting time to upgrade to something a little bigger and can do ABS. I saw that carbon fiber stuff recently and that's just cool! I've been using CAD as well for my 3D stuff.

So when you sharing your files with me?? HAHA. People don't realize how long it can take to draw some stuff, especially just the learning part! I've shared some of the simple stuff on Thingiverse, but more complex items I'm not sure I will. Here's the few things I've uploaded to it, even a Hayabusa logo.
http://www.thingiverse.com/InfiniteReality/designs/page:1

I intend to put these up on thingiverse eventually. Still need to fix a few things.

Thingiverse is great, it's fun to just print random stuff from there. What color is your bike? At first I thought it was just a stock 08 color, but has too much orange for that. Got a picture of it, I love orange! That may or may not be the color I go with next time I dip the bike, lol.

Back