building a drag bike

picked up an oil pan, new lowering links, front forks cut, and painted the plastics. going to the track in a couple weeks. plans after that are to have my rear shock built for my set up and finish my nitrous set up. would also like to get a air shifter on the bike.

busa blue 3.jpg

busa blue.jpg

busa blue2.jpg

Well I made it to the track this weekend. I have to say I thought I would of done better but very happy with the results. The track had new concrete and was fighting traction and the air wasn't great. The air was very smoky from the fires in Canada so iam thinking that hurt me too. Next mods are big air box mod, flash ecu, and rear shock revalved. Iam on a mission to see just how fast I can go on this thing on motor before I install my spray bar and start spraying the house down.

busa best time 87oct.jpg

Couple of notes . Heavy front tire your running , and you still have the weights on the stock foot pegs.

I did have stock foot pegs when I took the pics but I have swapped them out for some light weight pegs. for the price of wheels I would rather add power for that kind of money

little update iam getting my stock shock revalved and I installed some new parts. I picked up an air shifter, boost by smith shift light with auto shift, and a nos mini. I have everything installed just waiting on the shock. iam trying to get back to the track asap and see if I can crack into 9.2xs on motor. I have a 20 shot set up right now and it comes on at 7500 and shuts off at 10500. so I hope that will help me get closer to the 8s. just want to get that 60 foot down in the mid 1.4s. next mods will be tank shell and fuel cell and bigger nos jets for now. I do plan on motor work just don't know who iam going to go with.

Went to the track and very happy with the results. The shock did great and the auto shifter worked great too. Going to pull the motor this week and send it out to get built.

20160625_114928.jpg

Well I didn't pull the motor. I picked up a 1397cc motor last week that made 205 on c110. So now that I have a spare motor iam going to see what the stock one can do...... I have a 50 shot on it now and going to the track this weekend to see what I can do with it. Also going to dyno it and see what it makes. I plan on changing the jets to a 60 shot and do some roll racing with some locals. I already raced my one buddy who traps 150s on he's gen 4 zx10r. Bike has ran lots of 9.00s. I dragged his ass down the highway even giving him the jump. So I hope the bike hooks and doesn't wheelie so I can knock of some 8 sec passes.

Well went to the track this weekend. Pretty happy with the results. Wish my clutch was working right and I had different rear sprocket. I was spraying a 50 shot on the bike in 1st gear at 7k rpms. I was hitting the speed limiter in 6th gear. Bike just wasn't launch like it has in the past. Don't know what it was but iam happy with what it ran. No 8s but dam close. Pulling the motor out to install a 1397 motor and hope to get to the track before the year is over and see what it runs.

20160730_130731.jpg

Well I got the new motor in the bike and iam pretty happy with it. Just need to figure out how to launch it with all the power down low.

The 9 sec pass is the first pass off the trailer. 8 sec pass was the second pass off the trailer. Pretty happy with the bike and the way it runs. Bike moves out for sure. Run just plan old c12. So the bike can make more with better fuel.

20160909_154822.jpg 20160909_154851.jpg

I totally agree. Going to look at the clutch this week and see if anything is wrong. It was bucking really bad for me all weekend. Tried leaving soft, lowered the rpms, changed gearing. I think it has all 6 hard springs in it. I'd it does I with do 3 stock 3 hard and see if I can launch it better. Will also look at the clutch plates and fibers. Make sure they look good.

Cant remember if you said you had a clutch mod or back torque eliminator or just springs? If you have just the 6 HD springs, that's too much static. I know exactly what you are going through as it took me a while to figure it out. Too much static makes it either bog (once from 6K launch to 2K with an aggressive clutch throw, horrible) or you have to ride the lever for what seems like a long time and your WOT is off because of that. 3 soft 3 hard was a little too soft and I didn't completely cook a pack but close. 4 n 2 was good. At least for me. That's WB dependant, RPM launch speed, shock, all those other factors too.

Yea I was going to do the 3 stock and 3 heavy duty springs. It's has a solid back torque eliminator so it's not the problem. I just need to change the springs and get use to the new power. Bike is at 68 inches and geared very short with a revalved stock shock. Over winter Iam going to make chassis changes get a after market shock and differnt as I plan to spray this motor with at less a 50 shot.

goes to show how much of a benefit the air shifter is. he was droping a 1/4 bike length every time he shifted and got off the throttle

Well I made it to the track this weekend. I have to say I thought I would of done better but very happy with the results. The track had new concrete and was fighting traction and the air wasn't great. The air was very smoky from the fires in Canada so iam thinking that hurt me too. Next mods are big air box mod, flash ecu, and rear shock revalved. Iam on a mission to see just how fast I can go on this thing on motor before I install my spray bar and start spraying the house down.

View attachment 394772
What track???

Well little update. Bought a new clutch and got a stiffer rear spring for the bike. Also picked up a 45 tooth rear sprocket. Went to the track to try everything out. Kinda happy with the results. But still having problems getting the bike to 60 foot. Bike leaves better now that I fixed some problems. Before the bike would have weird jerk to it. Found out the ignition module and shift light were causing a random error in the bike. Now iam fighting wheelies with the bike. Never had a problem before. So hopefully next year I can get out and figure it out. Lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back