New Owner! Fuel Problems?

kck1

Registered
Hey guys! New owner here and I am having some issues with my bike. It is a 2000 and I am having issues with the fuel relay or the fuel pump- I am not sure which. When I flip the kill switch to start the bike I hear two ticks and then a third about two seconds later- sounds like they are coming from the tail sextion near the battery. I don't hear the fuel pump come on and the bike won't start- it just turns the starter over but no fire.

Could this be an issue with the turn signal/fuel relay that's next to the fuse box? I checked the 10a fuse for the fuel pump and it seems to be ok- seitces in the spare 10a just to make sure and it doesn't help the situiation. It has a power commander on it- when the kill switch is in the start position a green light comes on on the commander.

I am hoping its not the fuel pump and just something that is keeping power from getting to the pump. Since I hear the two ticks then the third a few seconds later after putting the kill switch in the run position could this be in the turn signal/fuel pump relay? Is there another relay for the fuel pump?

Sorry for the long first post- just getting frustrated with her not starting.

kck1
Welcome to the forum!
I wouldn't blame the relay yet.
The sound you are hearing when turning the ignition on, the three clicks, does not sound normal to me.
The sound a fuel pump makes when it primes is a pretty universal sound among fuel vehicles and bikes.
Do you get the fuel pump priming sound when you turn the ignition on?
Here is a video of containing the sound you should hear. It's from 13 seconds to 16 seconds in this video.
Sorry I couldn't find another video of just the prime but this works.

Thanks for the video. I get no priming of the fuel pump when hitting the kill switch to run. Just those 3 clicks- two together then the third a few seconds later. They seem to be coming from the rear of the bike on the left side right next to the battery.

Every thing else seems fine- turn key on gauges sweep, all lights light up, no f1 light, head light/tail light come on. Just no priming of the fuel pump.

Just went out into the garage and looked at her again. It also make the "click" when hitting the kill switch to shut off the bike. When you press the kill switch to off- it's just one click though.

I don't want to just throw money blindly at the bike trying to fix the issue- was hoping it might be the turn signal/ fuel pump relay next to the fuse box. I'm going to go by the dealer tomorrow and see if they even have one of those relays in stock.

Forgot to mention- sprayed some starting fluid into the intake and she fired for a second or two. So she is trying to fire- just don't have fuel pump turning on. Have air, have spark, just no fuel.

Last edited:
Just went out into the garage and looked at her again. It also make the "click" when hitting the kill switch to shut off the bike. When you press the kill switch to off- it's just one click though.

I don't want to just throw money blindly at the bike trying to fix the issue- was hoping it might be the turn signal/ fuel pump relay next to the fuse box. I'm going to go by the dealer tomorrow and see if they even have one of those relays in stock.

Forgot to mention- sprayed some starting fluid into the intake and she fired for a second or two. So she is trying to fire- just don't have fuel pump turning on. Have air, have spark, just no fuel.

Thank s for getting back with more info.
If you don't want to waste money, don't buy anything until you have finished testing and have identified the problem.
Remember you want to fix the right problem, not the one you like it to be.

Next you'll need to see if the fuel pump is being provided the right voltage at the right pin when the ignition is turned on.
If it is then the relay is doing it's job and your issue is possibly the fuel pump.
If not then test the relay.
I'll attach some pics from the service manual.

Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 12.45.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 12.45.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 12.45.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 12.45.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 12.46.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 12.46.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 12.46.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 12.46.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 12.46.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 12.46.52 PM.png

To me the clicking sound is coming from the fuel pump relay back by the battery. Would that be a bad relay if it is making a loud audible clicking sound? Havnt had a chance to remove rear fairing and access the relay.

kck1
You really need to take the proper steps to source the problem. Guessing is just that and is a lost resort imo.

It's going to the dealer. I have given up on it. In searching for what the problem is-I create more problems. I was just hoping someone else had been im my shoes with the 3 clicks from the relay and no power to the fuel pump.

kick1
I think if you took the time to follow the directions in the documentation I found and uploaded for you, you could figure this out yourself.
On the other hand I appreciate being in the situation of having a problem I can't solve, having exhausted all options I can think of and needing outside help.
Anyhow, let us know what the stealership says!

Oh I apreciate the info you posted- I printed it out and it's in the garage on my work bench. I'm going to give it another go this weekend- im just pretty fed up with the bike right now and don't want to take any frustration out on it by causing any more damage. I think I just need a few days away from the bike to clear my head. The dealership is the backup plan- first open spot they had was Tuesday.

kck1
Thanks for expressing yourself.
You can do it man!

I also find walking away and doing something else to be the best remedy when I can't find a solution to a problem and I am at my witts end.
Sometimes when I come back The solution presents itself.
I am more then happy to help you with trouble shooting this weekend if you think a second person would help.
Not sure if you have any apple products but I've used facetime in the past to help another member get his busa up and running.
If not I'm sure there are other free video conferencing options.
:thumbsup:

Well we have fuel pump kicking on! So the hayabusa is getting back into friend zone- but now I have fuel dripping out of the larger vent hose on the right side of the bike. I Prob only put 1/4 of gas in it and the leak started. I'm hoping it's not rust realated. The tank was drained of fuel when stored- I guess there could of been a tiny amount left in the bottom most part of the tank.

Is this leak a sign my tank has a inner hole in it somewhere? I looked the best I could thru the fill hole and bottom of tank looks like clean metal.

Last edited:
That's what I was afraid of. I'm hoping its a different issue but I guess that POR-15 might be a last resort.

No- Havnt been able to get the bike started- just cranks over even though fuel pump seems to be priming. Need to find some time and clean it- I think it might be contaminated or clogged from old gas.

kck1
I think your two issues, not starting and gas leaking out of the vent hose may be an indication of something wrong inside of the tank.
I think if everything outside of the tank tests as working you have your answer.

Yeah. Just frustrating. Looks like I'll be shopping for a new tank for the bike. Guess it's what I get for taking a chance and purchasing a bike that had been sitting.

kck1
I feel your pain man. I'm going through something similar with my 2001 Tacoma. I purchased it knowing it needed a lot of work but it seems to not end. I know it will it just takes several phases of going at it to get it working tip top and how you want it.
If you got a decent deal on the bike you could take comfort in that.
Regardless, here is a dancing banana to cheer you up :banana:

Thanks for the banana! I did get a good deal on the bike so I'm not too butt hurt- and I trust the seller that he didn't sell it to me knowing it was not as advertised. It was one of those divorce fire sale deals- It was a risk/reward situiation. Bike is pretty damn clean- never thought about tank issues cause from what I can see its rust free. Oh well- this will keep me out of trouble Til I get her running.

IMG_4181.JPG

kck1
Great attitude!
If you don't mind please keep us informed of your progress, this way we can make this as solved and help others with similar issues.

Hey

Any of you know how to get the plastic piece with the oring back over the filter and spring in a 1999 busa fuel pump. I'm having a nightmare and need it back together asap

Thanks

Back