Starter Motor Is Gone...do I Replace Starter Clutch Too???

ndm101

Registered
Sorry if this has been asked before but I am searching high and low and cannot find a straight answer. The starter motor and idler gear in my 2000 hayabusa is gone. Do I need to replace the starter clutch too or can I just do the starter and idler gear.

So here is the back story. I bought the bike used with a blown starter. It's a 2000 with 18,000 miles it already has a 1397 kit and a power commander. I got the bike for $1200 as a project bike.

I will eventually upgrade to the 03+ version of starter but I want to get the bike running first to make sure there are no other problems before I start spending a lot of money.

I have read all the article and know about the starter kick back problems and I have checked the case and its not cracked but I plan on putting the case saver on just as cheap insurance incase the kickback occurs again.

What is the cheapest starter and idler gear I can get in order to it back up and running to ensure I don't have any other major problems.

Any help and or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry if this has been asked before but I am searching high and low and cannot find a straight answer. The starter motor and idler gear in my 2000 hayabusa is gone. Do I need to replace the starter clutch too or can I just do the starter and idler gear.

So here is the back story. I bought the bike used with a blown starter. It's a 2000 with 18,000 miles it already has a 1397 kit and a power commander. I got the bike for $1200 as a project bike.

I will eventually upgrade to the 03+ version of starter but I want to get the bike running first to make sure there are no other problems before I start spending a lot of money.

I have read all the article and know about the starter kick back problems and I have checked the case and its not cracked but I plan on putting the case saver on just as cheap insurance incase the kickback occurs again.

What is the cheapest starter and idler gear I can get in order to it back up and running to ensure I don't have any other major problems.

Hello I am currently changing my starter And starter gear to the 03 version. But having trouble with the covers.
What were you able to do

ndm
I do not have a solution for you off hand.
Have you had any success researching online and comparing various starters and idler gear pricing and reviews?
Is it safe to assume that the changes made to make it 1397cc are all internal?
I ask only to know if your are searching for a 99-00 starter and idler gear or perhaps another year.

Back