All the states east of the Mississippi trip

firstbusabobby

Registered
So I am thinking of doing this trip this summer.
I made a "all the states west of the Mississippi" trip a few years ago on my Road King.
It will fall somewhere between July and October.
Ill have 17 days and it maps out at 6500 miles (the west trip took 19 days and covered 7700 miles)
I don't know anyone stupid enough to go with so it will be a lone wolf trip... :)

all the states east of the mississippi map.jpg

Looks like a fun trip.

Just curious, are you planning on camping every night?

Can you explain the bigger circles vs. the smaller circles along the route?

I would seriously recommend picking up Rt 29 North somewhere in South or North Carolina as opposed to I-95North.
(I drove a truck for several years, and can tell you where is and isn't fun for a bike on the east coast, and personally, 95 sucks)
29 is 2 lanes, and isn't congested at all, as well as being much, much more scenic. It also has plenty of places to stop without having to get off at an exit. Including gas, food, stores, and attractions.
You can also hit the Blue Ridge Parkway from 29 in Virginia. About 50 miles north into VA from NC, the BRP is only 30 minutes North West. And the roads between 29 and the BRP are as good as the BRP itself.
If you decide on that and I'm around when you pass through, I can meet you on 29 and take you to the Parkway through some awesome empty backroads. I'm about 50 miles North of NC near 29.

Semi and I did a trip just like this a couple of years ago. Best 3 week bike trip ever. We need to do that again. We rode from OK to St Louis, rolled up to Pittsburgh and headed over to Maine. Then down the east Coast to St Augustine, over to Pensacola to visit one the of the best Marines ever, rolled through the southern states to Louisiana and then north to Arkansas and back home to OK. And I want to say most of this trip was on back roads and two lane highways, we stated off the interstates. Best food you will ever find is on the back roads.

Some camping some hotels. A lot depends on weather and if anyone is foolish enough to go with me... :).

I'm not sure what you mean by bigger and smaller circles, I need to hit the UP in MI, the rest is just to hit all the states.

I would seriously recommend picking up Rt 29 North somewhere in South or North Carolina as opposed to I-95North.
(I drove a truck for several years, and can tell you where is and isn't fun for a bike on the east coast, and personally, 95 sucks)
29 is 2 lanes, and isn't congested at all, as well as being much, much more scenic. It also has plenty of places to stop without having to get off at an exit. Including gas, food, stores, and attractions.
You can also hit the Blue Ridge Parkway from 29 in Virginia. About 50 miles north into VA from NC, the BRP is only 30 minutes North West. And the roads between 29 and the BRP are as good as the BRP itself.
If you decide on that and I'm around when you pass through, I can meet you on 29 and take you to the Parkway through some awesome empty backroads. I'm about 50 miles North of NC near 29.

Ill need to do some highways to make time but a lot will be smaller roads. The BRP will be required also the tail o dragon will happen also.

I wont have a rigid schedule, just a guideline so I know if I'm going to be late to work... :)

Some camping some hotels. A lot depends on weather and if anyone is foolish enough to go with me... :).

I'm not sure what you mean by bigger and smaller circles, I need to hit the UP in MI, the rest is just to hit all the states.

From your starting point go east to the first red circle (Memphis) on the blue line.
Then as it goes north there are like 9 small white circles until the next red circle.
Then after that there are only 4 circles until you get to Chicago.

So I don't know what the small circles mean. Are the red circles Overnight stays? ???
Are the white circles points of interest? I assume they have some meaning and thought you might know.

We have had nothing but rain the last two years. You are welcome to stay overnight here. I'm about an hour off I-95. If nothing else I might ride a little with you.

From your starting point go east to the first red circle (Memphis) on the blue line.
Then as it goes north there are like 9 small white circles until the next red circle.
Then after that there are only 4 circles until you get to Chicago.

So I don't know what the small circles mean. Are the red circles Overnight stays? ???
Are the white circles points of interest? I assume they have some meaning and thought you might know.

Ok I understand your question now. The big circles are to get the route to go where I wanted it to go. I selected Memphis then the next circle is a small town in Kentucky. The next circle is actually in Gary Indiana, so I wouldn't have to double back from Michigan. The small circles were put there by Google... cities with speed traps maybe... :).

This is a very preliminary "rough draft" to see how long I need to get off work.

We have had nothing but rain the last two years. You are welcome to stay overnight here. I'm about an hour off I-95. If nothing else I might ride a little with you.

We had our 2nd wettest year on record here in Oklahoma, so I can relate. I will try to plan around good weather (hope my boss is flexible...) but expect to get rained on a bit.

That's a lot of slab riding (i.e. interstate), I much rather cut the trip distance in half and take the back roads off the beat path and find the hidden gems that are out there. Regardless, I hope you have a safe ride.

Oh yeah, don't forget to find a place to do your general/scheduled maintenance along the way.

Back