Steering damper

Davidvon

Registered
I am going to replace the oil in my steering damper. I have 2006 'Busa. What weight oil should I use? Does it need to be fork oil? Or can I use engine oil?

most ppl go with 20 weight fork oil or under for the street and maybe a little higher for the track. the thicker the oil, the sooner the damper will start to leak tho. the properties of fork oil are heat and cold resistant unlike engine oils which change viscosities as temps change.

ur in an area that sees drastic climate change temps thru out the yr so fork oil I think wud be best but if u used engine oil I don't think it wud make much of a difference to b honest I mean the damper only moves an inch or two at a time and that motion is not a continuous motion so viscosity changes aren't really gonna be an issue

most ppl go with 20 weight fork oil or under for the street and maybe a little higher for the track. the thicker the oil, the sooner the damper will start to leak tho. the properties of fork oil are heat and cold resistant unlike engine oils which change viscosities as temps change.

ur in an area that sees drastic climate change temps thru out the yr so fork oil I think wud be best but if u used engine oil I don't think it wud make much of a difference to b honest I mean the damper only moves an inch or two at a time and that motion is not a continuous motion so viscosity changes aren't really gonna be an issue

Fork oil is what I had used Before This Really Nice Guy Sold Me His Ohlins!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys. I appreciate you input. Base on your recommendations, I think I'll pick up some 20w fork oil. Thanks again.

Back