Well, I have 10 days with just me and the Busa

GsxrBots

Motorboatin' Moonpies, Gangnam Style
Registered
Leaving the middle of June. I have 10 days total. Can't figure out where I wanna go. :down:

First I thought about heading west (I'm in Wisconsin) to Colorado, Utah, down to Nevada then back through OK, etc on the way home...

Then I heard that the mountain roads may not be that pleasant in June yet.

So that made me consider going East. Heading toward VA (was thinking for a MnG if the dates worked out right) heading along the coast line up to Maine, etc. Then head back through Boston, see the sights, etc. Finish the ride on the eastern side of Michigan riding the 2 Great Lakes I never get the chance to ride.

Just wondering what everyone else's thoughts are on this. I'm planning roughly 450-500 miles per day just to be safe. Have the bike, the luggage, everything but a destination. :laugh:

Also thought about just leaving. Having no destination could make for a great trip, but it could also make for some disappointments in hotels, campgrounds, etc. Yeah, I plan to camp a few nights as well.

Thoughts?

:beerchug:

I would head east,but thats just me,always wanted to see Boston,Chicago,even New York.The great lakes would be sweet too.
Whichever direction you go,I would have at least some sort of plan,it just makes sense.

RSD.

I'll check for Foo Fighters concerts during your given time frame...that should dictate your route :hide:

:rofl:

I'll check for Foo Fighters concerts during your given time frame...that should dictate your route

That would actually help out a ton. Knowing where all the FREAKS were so I could avoid them..

Are you looking to be a tourist with sight seeing or just riding? I'm pretty sure you've done a Michigan UP trip. So that leaves heading south unless you want to slab out west. If you're in a tourist mind set, stay north and see some of the big cities sites. I think its still pretty early to be heading up to Vermont / Maine areas.

For riding you should go south around Arkansas if you want some new roads. Northwest

Last edited by a moderator:
Leaving the middle of June. I have 10 days total. Can't figure out where I wanna go. :down:

First I thought about heading west (I'm in Wisconsin) to Colorado, Utah, down to Nevada then back through OK, etc on the way home...

So that made me consider going East. Heading toward VA (was thinking for a MnG if the dates worked out right) heading along the coast line up to Maine, etc. Then head back through Boston, see the sights, etc. Finish the ride on the eastern side of Michigan riding the 2 Great Lakes I never get the chance to ride.

Just wondering what everyone else's thoughts are on this. I'm planning roughly 450-500 miles per day just to be safe. Have the bike, the luggage, everything but a destination. :laugh:

Also thought about just leaving. Having no destination could make for a great trip, but it could also make for some disappointments in hotels, campgrounds, etc. Yeah, I plan to camp a few nights as well.

Thoughts?

:beerchug:

My vote is to visit the East coast into the New England area. Then onto Montreal, Canada. Afterwards to Niagara Falls then onto the Great lakes.

Or Iowa and Montana.

iowa is boring as hell i wouldnt roll there...i wouldnt go east honestly unless you want congestion .

Maybe you should roll through your neighborhood, stopping along various neighbors' yards, pitch your fancy tent and use that fancy chair of yours, make fire, BBQ the local wildlife to survive, pack up, move to the next yard.

Do that for 10 days, only put 3 miles on the bike, but say you went 4,000 miles on an epic journey of 1000 tears.........and take gratuitous pics of you in front of your Busa, of course. :rulez:

#forposterity

If ya make it thru Tulsa Oklahoma area, I'll feed ya and let ya crash for a night if you want.

This is bad information. Very bad :dontgetit:

I've done a lot of fine western touring in May. The only 2 roads that I can think of that might give you trouble in June are Independence Pass in Colorado and Going To The Sun Road in Glacier NP... those are both July roads.

A lot of western routes will be HOT by June.

I certainly would not hesitate to ride west. Speak up if you need advice on any given state or route out here.

I just can't help myself... I'm bored at work and looking at the possibilities for 10 days beginning and ending in Wisconsin. Forgive me for taking it upon myself to plot out a world class route :smiley10: I'm not going into details here, just the basic outline. I can help with the details if you want.

From Wisconsin, ride hard straight west to Billings. I don't know any scenic routes through MN and ND, but you could ride through the SD Black Hills.

Once you get to Montana, south from Billings on 212 over Bear Tooth Pass and into Yellowstone. Come out of the park at either West Yellowstone or Gardiner and find a good route over to Missoula. There are 2 great routes south of Missoula, either 93 south over Lost Trail Pass into Idaho, or 12 over Lolo Pass into Idaho. If you come down 12, then pick up 95 to 55, then at Banks, head east to Lowman, Stanley, over Galena Summit, Sun Valley, and pick up 75 south to end up on 93 into Nevada.

South on Idaho/Nevada 93 to Ely, then east over the deserted Utah route 21. This is where you can do your own LSR. From Cedar City, south on 15 for a bit and east through Zion NP. At Utah 89, pick up Utah 12 eastbound, stop at Bryce Canyon NP, then continue east over Boulder Mountain to Torrey, east through Capitol Reef NP to Hanksville. Utah 12 might be the best motorcycle route in the 48. Ride it end to end. Continue to 4 Corners, Cortez, see the narrow gauge in Durango, then pick one of several excellent routes through Colorado, like 550 through Silverton and Ouray, or 160 over Wolf Creek Pass, to 149 and north to Gunnison.

There are many sub-routes I can point out if you have extra time.

Once you exit the Rockies, then pick a straight route back to Wisconsin.

I haven't plotted mileage, but it's fer sure doable in 10 days.

I just can't help myself... I'm bored at work and looking at the possibilities for 10 days beginning and ending in Wisconsin. Forgive me for taking it upon myself to plot out a world class route :smiley10: I'm not going into details here, just the basic outline. I can help with the details if you want. From Wisconsin, ride hard straight west to Billings. I don't know any scenic routes through MN and ND, but you could ride through the SD Black Hills. Once you get to Montana, south from Billings on 212 over Bear Tooth Pass and into Yellowstone. Come out of the park at either West Yellowstone or Gardiner and find a good route over to Missoula. There are 2 great routes south of Missoula, either 93 south over Lost Trail Pass into Idaho, or 12 over Lolo Pass into Idaho. If you come down 12, then pick up 95 to 55, then at Banks, head east to Lowman, Stanley, over Galena Summit, Sun Valley, and pick up 75 south to end up on 93 into Nevada. South on Idaho/Nevada 93 to Ely, then east over the deserted Utah route 21. This is where you can do your own LSR. From Cedar City, south on 15 for a bit and east through Zion NP. At Utah 89, pick up Utah 12 eastbound, stop at Bryce Canyon NP, then continue east over Boulder Mountain to Torrey, east through Capitol Reef NP to Hanksville. Utah 12 might be the best motorcycle route in the 48. Ride it end to end. Continue to 4 Corners, Cortez, see the narrow gauge in Durango, then pick one of several excellent routes through Colorado, like 550 through Silverton and Ouray, or 160 over Wolf Creek Pass, to 149 and north to Gunnison. There are many sub-routes I can point out if you have extra time. Once you exit the Rockies, then pick a straight route back to Wisconsin. I haven't plotted mileage, but it's fer sure doable in 10 days.

I have a feeling we will be messaging soon.

I have a feeling we will be messaging soon.

Well, I did very rough draft of this route to get mileages, and it's sitting at about 4200. I might have to work on it a bit. If you could ride 420 per day for 10, that would do it, but there may be a few days you want to ride less. The big issue is that dang leg from Madison (I guessed at a city in WI) to Billings at 1100, then again from Denver back to Madison at nearly 1000 miles. That's a full half of the mileage just on the flatland roads. I guess if you could iron butt out to MT, then iron butt back home, you could spend the other 8 days enjoying the middle 2000 miles.

What dates are you riding? Maybe I could join you for a leg.

Back