1k insurance

state farm here as well...i pay 18 bucks a month for full coverage with 0 deductible. I also have my house, 2 cars and the 109r with them.

Well I was going to say that maybe I had the lowest price for insurance, then I read your above quote.

So $216 for a year full coverage? ??? For a 2008 too.

That is for your Garage Queen right? You've said that your bike only has about 1300 miles on it, right.
So are you sure that is full coverage for Collision? Comprehensive? and Liability? With 0 deductible? Never heard of that for a Bike.
Yes, you do live in a different State, so is everybody's insurance lower in your State? I live in a No-Fault state which might make a difference too.

Oh dude, you gotta quit sharing your intentions of doing the "Oh Hell No" mod of putting dirt bike bars on a gixxer. They know its something no SANE man would do! :laugh:

I understand your love of the Gixxer 1K. Counting my kids race bike, I have four of them. If I accidently got drunk enough to get married and be forced to sell all but one bike, the keeper would be a GSXR-1K. However, I am puzzled on your choice of the 05-06 over the 07-08? :dunno:

:laugh:
I owned an 02, and several of my friends have had all models after up to 2011.
I never liked the 03/04 or the 07/08.
Something about each just didn't feel right. I know that sounds odd, but I couldn't quite place what it was.
I never had a lot of seat time on the 07/08 either, but many thousands on my 02, and 05 and 06(3 friends had those and I had the key to one, rode it more than he did).
The 09/11 feels the most comfortable to me so far.
With dirtbike bars it probably doesn't really matter out of them all.
The 05/06 feels the strongest too.
07/08 prices are as much as the 09/11 around here($7500 to 9k). Although an 05/06 can be had for around $5k in good shape.
Why do you like the 07/08 so much?

My friend's 09 with dirtbike bars just feels perfect.
My version of a sport touring/stunt bike, and I could ride it comfortably all day long, no back or wrist pain.

Them 07-08's were supposedly the best year gsxr made. I know a lot of guys on psycho bike that drag them and others who have taken parts from those years everything from electronics, engine, etc. I don't have the #'s on it but I think they said those 2 years put out the most HP or something like that. Somethings gotta be up with them cause a ton of people drag em/ track em and they hold value compared 2 other sportbikes even newer models

Well I was going to say that maybe I had the lowest price for insurance, then I read your above quote.

So $216 for a year full coverage? ??? For a 2008 too.

That is for your Garage Queen right? You've said that your bike only has about 1300 miles on it, right.
So are you sure that is full coverage for Collision? Comprehensive? and Liability? With 0 deductible? Never heard of that for a Bike.
Yes, you do live in a different State, so is everybody's insurance lower in your State? I live in a No-Fault state which might make a difference too.

It is a garage queen. Well was. I bought it with 900 miles on it...there are 1400 on it now. Yes i am sure of the coverage as i sell insurance part time for state farm. My uncle owns a local branch of state farm.

It is a garage queen. Well was. I bought it with 900 miles on it...there are 1400 on it now. Yes i am sure of the coverage as i sell insurance part time for state farm. My uncle owns a local branch of state farm.

Well there you go.

I have to assume you get some kind of discount and/or have inside knowledge as to what to do to get the lowest rate.

I also assume that where you live can make a difference. If there are very few motorcycle accidents in your area that might very well lower the
rate for most riders in your area.

Bottom line is there are so many variables that can and do determine the rate of insurance coverage for each person.
I'll bet that if you surveyed 100 riders you would probably get 100 different rates that they pay or that no two rates would be identical.

BTW I called my agent and there is not an option for a 0 deductible on collision from State Farm for motorcycles according to him, at least not in this State.

sixpack, something is def up with your rates. You gotta call and talk to an agent - either independent, or ins specific. They will tell you exactly why your rates are so much higher - maybe your local area, maybe your past history... who knows. Could be something they messed up on your record and you don't even know about it. You have got to find out.

I've had $1200/year with Progressive for full coverage, but that's with the turbo. Otherwise, would've been around $600. Because of the turbo, I had to add extra $5,000 of coverage for "accessories" (Frank ain't gonna fix it for free, LOL, if it comes to that). Just got email with renewal, and now it's only $970/year, which of course I don't mind.

:laugh:
I owned an 02, and several of my friends have had all models after up to 2011.
I never liked the 03/04 or the 07/08.
Something about each just didn't feel right. I know that sounds odd, but I couldn't quite place what it was.
I never had a lot of seat time on the 07/08 either, but many thousands on my 02, and 05 and 06(3 friends had those and I had the key to one, rode it more than he did).
The 09/11 feels the most comfortable to me so far.
With dirtbike bars it probably doesn't really matter out of them all.
The 05/06 feels the strongest too.
07/08 prices are as much as the 09/11 around here($7500 to 9k). Although an 05/06 can be had for around $5k in good shape.
Why do you like the 07/08 so much?

My friend's 09 with dirtbike bars just feels perfect.
My version of a sport touring/stunt bike, and I could ride it comfortably all day long, no back or wrist pain.

I've owned most of the gixxer 1K's since their introduction into the US. I had one 05 and two 06's which were a great step up from the 03/04. I've had thee 07's and two 08's. I currently have two 07's and two 08's. Suzuki made some sweet improvements in 07 over the 05/06 in engine performance, suspension, brakes that improved performance. Matt Mladin said the 07/08 gixxer 1K is the best bike Suzuki ever made and I tend to agree with him. An 07 Gixxer 1K owns the track record on both of our local tracks. I fell in love with the 07/08 gixxers to the point I bought a new 08 for a spare before they were all gone and it currently sits in the corner of my garage with a sheet over it, zero miles never been out of the garage. I figured I would eventually wad one up and didn't want to be caught without a replacement.

I guess you could say I'm somewhat partial to the 07/08's and I know them so well. Every time I throw a leg over my current track bike it gives me that wonderful tingling feeling up my spine. It's like putting on an old familiar coat on a chilly day, it just feels good. :thumbsup:

However, you can't go wrong with an 05/06 either. Great bikes! I bought a nice one owner 08 last year from a private party for $5K. If you have cash on hand and take your time, you'll find a bargain eventually.

I've seen a couple decent looking 06 gsxr1k lately, so I checked insurance.
$1327 a year full coverage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's 9 years old!!!!
...or $162 liability, with Progressive
I like that full coverage is only about 9 times as much!
Even if I didn't finance it I'de want full coverage, but no way am I paying that!!!
My 08 Busa was cheaper than that brand new, $93 a month.
Yes, I know, sport vs sport touring. Still a huge rip off.
Makes me angry, I just don't get it.
I hate insurance companies.

Oh wait!
Geico only wants $891 a year full coverage!
RRRRRR!!!!!!!
Still ridiculous.

At least their liability was only $59 a year.

A friend of mine has an 09 1k, 2 dui's(one in last 3 years), and his liability is $51 a year! WTF!!!

Oh wait!
Geico only wants $891 a year full coverage!
RRRRRR!!!!!!!
Still ridiculous.

At least their liability was only $59 a year.

A friend of mine has an 09 1k, 2 dui's(one in last 3 years), and his liability is $51 a year! WTF!!!

Did he put it under somebody else's insurance policy? That doesn't seem right, my 954 used to be $950 a year for full coverage with a perfect driving record.

Did he put it under somebody else's insurance policy? That doesn't seem right, my 954 used to be $950 a year for full coverage with a perfect driving record.

Nope!
It's his.
That's what I truly do not understand.
It seems insurance companies quote you based on, well, I really have no idea.
If you read my first post you'll see that there's nothing I can possibly think of that could make my insurance go up.
I even checked my insurance credit score(based on insurance paid on time, any lapse in coverage, claims filed, ect), it's an 850, top of the scale.
They're out to get me. Bastids.

sixpack, something is def up with your rates. You gotta call and talk to an agent - either independent, or ins specific. They will tell you exactly why your rates are so much higher - maybe your local area, maybe your past history... who knows. Could be something they messed up on your record and you don't even know about it. You have got to find out.

I've had $1200/year with Progressive for full coverage, but that's with the turbo. Otherwise, would've been around $600. Because of the turbo, I had to add extra $5,000 of coverage for "accessories" (Frank ain't gonna fix it for free, LOL, if it comes to that). Just got email with renewal, and now it's only $970/year, which of course I don't mind.

My 08 Busa with full coverage was just under $1200 a year too, and brand new.
1k's are classed as sport bikes, were the Busa is considered sport touring.
1k insurance is higher, but ridiculously high for me, and I have no idea why.
It's always been that way too. Same story on my 02 gsxr 1k that I bought new.
After a couple years I got tired of my insurance being more than the bike payment.
I refuse to do that again, but don't want to be without full coverage either. I'm stuck.

That sucks to hear 6 but honestly your better off just buying the bike and putting it in liability insurance. You can pick up a gsxr 1000 pretty cheap and there's a ton of parts on forums eBay etc. so if something did happen the money you saved with liability vs full coverage should more than compensate you if something happens to your bike

Either that or just come back to the warm embrace of a Busa :laugh:

My 08 Busa with full coverage was just under $1200 a year too, and brand new.
1k's are classed as sport bikes, were the Busa is considered sport touring.
1k insurance is higher, but ridiculously high for me, and I have no idea why.
It's always been that way too. Same story on my 02 gsxr 1k that I bought new.
After a couple years I got tired of my insurance being more than the bike payment.
I refuse to do that again, but don't want to be without full coverage either. I'm stuck.

Just curious - you say insurance is always high for you, right?

Is there any chance you could have your wife put insurance on the bike?
I asked my agent if others would be covered if I let them ride my bike - he said as long as I gave them permission to ride it they would be covered.

Do you have a brother? If so, are rates always high for him too?
Do you live in a bad neighborhood? Maybe on the edge of one? High stolen bike rate near you? The 1K is one of the most sought after bikes to steal.

I assume you have posted this question on the Gixxer forums - what are they paying? Way less then you?
If so, then I would print out some of their postings stating a much lower rate, then go to an agent near you and get a quote.
THEN (if high $$$ like always) whip out the posts and have him explain why all the other guys get lower rates then you - when you have a clean record.
Have the agent look up other riders in your area with the same bike and look at their costs compared to your quote.

Good luck in finding affordable insurance for your bike of choice.

Just curious - you say insurance is always high for you, right?

Is there any chance you could have your wife put insurance on the bike?
I asked my agent if others would be covered if I let them ride my bike - he said as long as I gave them permission to ride it they would be covered.

Do you have a brother? If so, are rates always high for him too?
Do you live in a bad neighborhood? Maybe on the edge of one? High stolen bike rate near you? The 1K is one of the most sought after bikes to steal.

I assume you have posted this question on the Gixxer forums - what are they paying? Way less then you?
If so, then I would print out some of their postings stating a much lower rate, then go to an agent near you and get a quote.
THEN (if high $$$ like always) whip out the posts and have him explain why all the other guys get lower rates then you - when you have a clean record.
Have the agent look up other riders in your area with the same bike and look at their costs compared to your quote.

Good luck in finding affordable insurance for your bike of choice.

Thanks, still looking at bikes now.
Seen a few decent looking ones, but nothing yet that jumps out at me as a good enough deal to actually go look at.
Nope, no brother.
There is a very low crime rate, and bike's aren't stolen very often where I live either.
As far as the bike in my wife's name, I don't know if that matters.
My 08 Busa was in her name, as she bought it as a surprise birthday present for me. But, it was always insured in my name.
Allstate was such a sorry company that when I got a quote from them, they said that that since my wife had a speeding ticket last year, that would make my bike insurance higher with them. WTF? My record is clean and she would only ride on the back.

Back