Suzuki's Recent GP Efforts

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
I am posting this for you MotoGP fanatics out there that can't wait to see Suzuki back next year. I'm posting it because i just find this sort of stuff very interesting, not to say that Suzuki will fail again. This is from the book MotoGP Technology, 2nd Edition. The book is fascinating and I wish they would do an up dated on it. It's amazing how tricky building a MotoGP bike is. I don't think people really appreciate the complexity. It is also amazing how un-prepared Suzuki was for their first go around. Let's see if they have their act together this time.

Suzuki MotoGP-1.jpg

Suzuki MotoGP-2.jpg

Suzuki MotoGP-3.jpg

Suzuki MotoGP-4.jpg

Suzuki MotoGP-5.jpg

Suzuki MotoGP-6.jpg

Suzuki MotoGP-7.jpg

Where is this bike in those pages. This bike is why I like that '15 1k that was posted. Similar paint.

image-2585303019.jpg

Monumental effort at a staggering cost:bowdown:. Hopefully they have a competitive bike in the hands of A. Espargaro & M Viñales, two young, very eager and talented riders.
:thumbsup:

It's a bike. How complicated could it be? :moon:

I can't read this - letters are smudged when I view the image in a separate window.

It will be interesting to see how good the top guys are if they are put against a competitive bike. Of course I'm not expecting anything from Suzuki the first year but I just hope they don't pack it in again before they can get competitive.

I've lost a lot of my interest in Moto GP since the introduction of ride by wire. Honda owns Moto GP. Traction Control made the bikes/riders faster but it removed a great deal of skill from the equation. I loved the old days when races were won and lost on sheer talent. I still watch the races but with less enthusiasm. I'm glad to see Suzuki get back in the game. However, I doubt Suzuki will ever be competitive with Honda at this level.

I think the only hope anyone has is that Honda will not be able to move smoothly to the new tires or that they have a misterious chatter problem again. I'm going to get a lot of hits here but Jorge is the best rider but he has to make up for the equipment. Marquez is an amazing talent but his complete dominance is due to the Honda. The only other factory to even get in there has been Ducati. Suzuki is going really conservative on the design which probably means they plan on being competive. It would be great to root for Suzuki in a MotoGP race.

I think the only hope anyone has is that Honda will not be able to move smoothly to the new tires or that they have a misterious chatter problem again. I'm going to get a lot of hits here but Jorge is the best rider but he has to make up for the equipment. Marquez is an amazing talent but his complete dominance is due to the Honda. The only other factory to even get in there has been Ducati. Suzuki is going really conservative on the design which probably means they plan on being competive. It would be great to root for Suzuki in a MotoGP race.

I totally agree. I think Lorenzo is the best rider on the grid at the moment. I'm happy to see Rossi on a competitive bike again. Although the only tracks the yamaha's are truly competitive on is the short tracks. Increased distance between corners gives Honda the upper hand.

Colen Edwards said the new track in texas must have been designed by Honda. Wonder what he meant :-)

Rossi is a great rider and it is hard not to say he is the best rider ever. The younger talent is amazing though and marquez is the best of the new guys. But the reason Rossi isn't better is because the bikes now are made for much smaller people. This is more than simply fitting on the bike, it moves the CG off and these bikes are so on the knife's edge they quickly become unridable. Rossi manages to ride the M1 but he can't get to that last level with his size and weight. Same with Crutchlow. Ever wonder why he cracks up constantly? He is too big for the bikes and the CG is so high that it is super difficult to go fast and not lose it. Being a big guy, that's why I ilike WSB racing better.

PS: Yes Texas was designed by Honda!

No skill in Moto GP.....:whistle: or a lack there of, or not as much as there used to be..... :rofl:

seriously....

Technology has changed and so has the riding style, the bikes are definitely less violent and more predictable, I highly doubt the current crop of talent out there is less skilled than their predecessors...

No skill in Moto GP.....:whistle: or a lack there of, or not as much as there used to be..... :rofl:

seriously....

Technology has changed and so has the riding style, the bikes are definitely less violent and more predictable, I highly doubt the current crop of talent out there is less skilled than their predecessors...

Not to mention tires... Look at the advancements there. Guaranteed any of those guys would give up the electronics in favor of not having to use the tires from yesteryear.

seriously....

The slowest rider on the Moto GP grid is blazing fast with outstanding talent. However, I can't rule out the fastest riders may not be the best riders, simply the rider with the best electronics technicians in their pits. The electronics in Moto GP is that important. Take away Honda's electronics and Marquez and Pedrosa would be mid pack at best and possibly even back markers. Could it be that just maybe the perceived talent level of the rider is dictated by the ability of the electronics technicians? :dunno:

Casey Stoner comes to mind. He crashed so many times that he actually invented ways of crashing before getting on a bike with traction control. Suddenly he was at the top of the heap. How in the world of racing could that happen?

Willie,
I think your analysis of the riders is good, but watching how Rossi has changed his style and position to account for the shift in riders/bikes makes me think that from an adaptability stand point, he is still the best rider out there. Jorge is great when he is doing well, not so much when he is not... similar in some ways (to me) to Biaggi. He is a great rider, but if he is only the best while he is on top... Jumping from the 500s to the 800s was a technological leap but also a trade off for talent - then to go to 999... I agree about the electronics being equalizers and that between the telemetry, the analysts and the tuners, the magic happens...not bad - and remember, Rossi left Honda because of the bike being the focus over the rider...

The slowest rider on the Moto GP grid is blazing fast with outstanding talent. However, I can't rule out the fastest riders may not be the best riders, simply the rider with the best electronics technicians in their pits. The electronics in Moto GP is that important. Take away Honda's electronics and Marquez and Pedrosa would be mid pack at best and possibly even back markers. Could it be that just maybe the perceived talent level of the rider is dictated by the ability of the electronics technicians? :dunno:

Casey Stoner comes to mind. He crashed so many times that he actually invented ways of crashing before getting on a bike with traction control. Suddenly he was at the top of the heap. How in the world of racing could that happen?

Well we do have a baseline so to speak. Rossi has ridden everything in MotoGP, even the wicked 500cc 2-strokes. I think as the bikes have become more sophisticated so has the definition of the best rider. Back when the bikes were less precise they allowed a lot of styles and bad habits to still win. Today riding is as much a science project as the bikes are. The guy in front is managing the bike to the maximum each and every lap. Jorge is the master at this (managing the bike to the maximum lap after lap) Watch and old GP race and you see riders ejected in huge high sides, run offs, twitches, slides, all kinds of imperfections. Now it comes down to the one mistake taking a wide line as the tires drop.

This is really amazing if you know what you are looking at but for general fans its too robotic. This year there has actually been some racing going on. Hopefully that will continue.

Willie,
I think your analysis of the riders is good, but watching how Rossi has changed his style and position to account for the shift in riders/bikes makes me think that from an adaptability stand point, he is still the best rider out there. Jorge is great when he is doing well, not so much when he is not... similar in some ways (to me) to Biaggi. He is a great rider, but if he is only the best while he is on top... Jumping from the 500s to the 800s was a technological leap but also a trade off for talent - then to go to 999... I agree about the electronics being equalizers and that between the telemetry, the analysts and the tuners, the magic happens...not bad - and remember, Rossi left Honda because of the bike being the focus over the rider...

I would lean your way on this MC. Rossi has won on an incredible amount of different bikes and his recent success really proves he is a bike God win or not IMHO. We have to remember that MotoGP is about prototype bikes, so it is a class dedicated to evolving the best bike. What we are seeing is that the perfect bike is an incredibly strong mechanical package, electronics to make an engine well above the capabilities to usefully manage the power ridable, and a specific parameter box the rider's size and weight needs to fit into to meet the center of gravity limits of the bike. The riders are very professional. Right diet, right training, maintain the perfect weight, strength. They have a really evolved ability to focus. They understand the bikes and the small clues it provides to setup or degrading parts in a race condition. That's a big ask, and frankly makes Rossi even more amazing as a champion.

Well we do have a baseline so to speak. Rossi has ridden everything in MotoGP, even the wicked 500cc 2-strokes. I think as the bikes have become more sophisticated so has the definition of the best rider. Back when the bikes were less precise they allowed a lot of styles and bad habits to still win. Today riding is as much a science project as the bikes are. The guy in front is managing the bike to the maximum each and every lap. Jorge is the master at this (managing the bike to the maximum lap after lap) Watch and old GP race and you see riders ejected in huge high sides, run offs, twitches, slides, all kinds of imperfections. Now it comes down to the one mistake taking a wide line as the tires drop.

This is really amazing if you know what you are looking at but for general fans its too robotic. This year there has actually been some racing going on. Hopefully that will continue.

Keep in mind Arch, that all that fly by wire technology allows riders to get away with mistakes that would put them on the deck without it. For instance, wheelie control diminishes the amount of throttle control required from the rider and the sophistication of the traction control on the Moto GP bikes is so technically advanced above what you get on the BMW 1000 that it takes two technicians in the pits to set it up to fit the rider and continue to maintain it. In my view, Moto GP racing is moving towards less rider skill and more technological advancement.

For me, it takes away some of the thrill of watching riders actually using all their skills to control the motorcycle. Make the entire grid of motorcycles more competitive so the best rider wins more than the best motorcycle.

Back