The emergency off switch got me today

groran1000

Registered
Yep, but I didn't do it. I stop at my favorite chicken place today after riding awhile. As I go in, a guy and his son come out of the store and he tells me, my son just lovvvves those bikes and I say oh that's great. Then he asked how fast does it go and I say as fast as you want. During the mean while, the son that just lovvves those bikes had to hit that bright red button when I wasn't looking. I eat, come out, turn on switch, low oil, temp gauge pegged and I say SOB. Now I got to call my wife 100 miles away at her job to go home get my truck and trailer and come get me. Then I get on the internet via smartphone then I get to post saying turn key on, pick up kickstand cycle on off emerg. switch and I look at it and it's on off. I tell you I started remembering how the little boy got close, but I was looking at dad and talking to dad. Sooo, all because you didn't do it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. Little fot.

I've never called anyone, but been down this path so many times with interlocks on this site I'm a pro. I've got buddies that think it's funny to flip it. When I ride with them I look at it before I turn the key. :laugh: Kickstand is another one.

I've never called anyone, but been down this path so many times with interlocks on this site I'm a pro. I've got buddies that think it's funny to flip it. When I ride with them I look at it before I turn the key. :laugh: Kickstand is another one.

Add me to the list, when we start riding together, I'm so going to do this to you.....:whistle:

Interesting thread.

I always hit the kill switch first, then turn the key off when done. When starting, first ignition key on, then switch, wait for the fuel pump to stop running and hit the start button. Am I the only one doing it this way?

Interesting thread.

I always hit the kill switch first, then turn the key off when done. When starting, first ignition key on, then switch, wait for the fuel pump to stop running and hit the start button. Am I the only one doing it this way?

This is I do it too, I always use the kill switch.

This is why I ride on the right!! Hard to reach the switch from the left!

-D
I had a bike trooper stop me in Myrtle Beach a couple of years ago. Naomi was on the back and when I lean forward all my mirrors show are my shoulders. He hit me with the siren and I pulled over. Apparently he had been behind me for a second. He told me that he was about to come up on my right and hit the killswitch. I was a bit of a smartazz and said, I'm glad you didn't that's my NOS switch :laugh: He said my pipe was a bit loud, but I could see it in his face, it was bike week, and when grandpa took his helmet off and smiled the traffic stop was over. He was probably doing what we do, looking for issues and wanted folks.

Interesting thread.

I do this too.
On all my bikes.

A long time ago I was told - if you use the emergency switch all the time - the first time it won't
turn off the bike you know it's bad and need to replace it vs never using it and then
in a real emergency it's corroded and doesn't work!

There is no worse feeling trying to fire the engine and getting nothing...only to find that you bumped the rocker switch. I have done that before while riding and it shut down...then felt like an idiot to search for the issue...

Interesting thread.

Yes, you are :p

No, you're not actually...honestly, it's been so long since I've ridden and winter has eaten away at my tiny brain, I think I do both and I know I've had that emergency switch in the off position before when I thought it was on, couldn't start the bike, started a mini-panic miles from home, then it hits me - low on blinker fluid, again... :whistle:

There is no worse feeling trying to fire the engine and getting nothing...only to find that you bumped the rocker switch. I have done that before while riding and it shut down...then felt like an idiot to search for the issue...

I have actually panicked a bit, all geared up, in a rush because you're with a group and don't want to be "that person", Busa won't start, WTH, everything is as it should be.................oh, except you're sitting there with the kickstand down you doltz :banghead:

Oh wait, is that just me? :rofl:

Interesting thread.

This is the only way I turn off and on my bike.

They teach you to use it all the time in MSF. Personnaly, I usually use my kickstand safety switch to shut off my bike. I leave it in gear, put down the stand and then turn off the bike. I figure this way I shouldn't forget to put the darned thing down and rack up a 1500+ repair bill and it stays in gear which is a good thing while parking. Almost never touch the safety switch.

I never touch the emergency switch. It will probably handle a million cycles, but moving parts wear out and tear up, why create an issue.

Back