EFFECTIVE lean angle?

Tufbusa

Track Coach / TufPoodle Coach
Registered
What is "Effective" lean angle?

Our tire experts should answer this one without Google. :cheerleader:

Ah ha, I think I see the point you were making in the other post...

EFFECTIVE means whatever lean angle it took to get thru the turn....
ABSOLUTE lean angle is whatever the angle actually WAS...

?

Effective lean angle equals arc tan [ riders mass/mass of bike and rider x shift distance/cg of bike and rider + tan of original lean angle ] :learn:

Watching that video makes me want to go to track. Don't think I would try that though. I try to keep scratches off my helmet.

Watching that video makes me want to go to track. Don't think I would try that though. I try to keep scratches off my helmet.

Then why don't you try it? You live close to some great tracks! Barber Motorsports Park in Birminham will be having a trackday 8-9 March. And again in April. Sign up for novice NOW at Home. One of our members is an instructor....

Effective lean angle is one where you make the turn without sliding out

Is there no one out there that can post a quick definition of "Effective" lean angle? It can be defined in a short single sentence.

The only time effective lean angle and visual lean angle are the same is when the bike is vertical with the rider seated in the center of the seat.

Another clue: Body position has no effect on effective lean angle. It only affects visual lean angle.

Come on guys/gals, it's time for someone to cough up the answer.

Is effective the range from vertical to running out of tire?...and low siding?

No, it has to do with the actual lean angle not the visual lean angle.

Radius and speed dictates effective lean angle.

Then why don't you try it? You live close to some great tracks! Barber Motorsports Park in Birminham will be having a trackday 8-9 March. And again in April. Sign up for novice NOW at Home. One of our members is an instructor....

Just looked at that site and there are 450 little problems with that weekend bundle package. But it is a good idea. I have a brother that lives in Birmingham I could stay with. I might see if I can get a weekend hall pass from the wife and ride up.

PM Replied. Trackdays are a BLAST.

March is almost completely sold out, and April isn't far behind, so if you make up your mind you want to do this, sign up quick. Glad to help any way I can.

What is effective lean angle?
Effective lean angle is the angle created by drawing a straight line between the tire contact patch and the C.G. (center of gravity) of the bike.

One sentence is all it takes to describe "Effective" lean angle. :beerchug:

effective lean angel.png

What is effective lean angle?
Effective lean angle is the angle created by drawing a straight line between the tire contact patch and the C.G. (center of gravity) of the bike.

One sentence is all it takes to describe "Effective" lean angle. :beerchug:

And HERE is where we have the thing I can't wrap my head around when we were talking about this: The CG must not be fixed - depending on the riders weight and body position (which contributes to the entire bike+rider CG)...If the rider stays on top of the bike, the CG in your pic is different than when he's hanging off...

Unless...you think of the bike and rider as the weight/mass in whole...if you think THAT way, then the CG for THAT bike and THAT rider remains the same, but I still dont' see how lean angle remains constant...

And HERE is where we have the thing I can't wrap my head around when we were talking about this: The CG must not be fixed - depending on the riders weight and body position (which contributes to the entire bike+rider CG)...If the rider stays on top of the bike, the CG in your pic is different than when he's hanging off...

Unless...you think of the bike and rider as the weight/mass in whole...if you think THAT way, then the CG for THAT bike and THAT rider remains the same, but I still dont' see how lean angle remains constant...

You are confusing visual with effective. The green line is effective. At that speed and that radius the green line will never change no matter what changes are made between the rider and bike. If you get off the bike farther the bike will stand up to equal whatever weight transfer your body created but that (Green line) center of gravity will never move. The only way to move the center of gravity is to change one of the two factors (Radius or speed). You can move the red (visual) line up or down but the green (Effective) line remains fixed as long as the radius and speed remain constant. Does that make sense?

Back