Transmission Slack Attack!

The Gribbler

Registered
I get a disturbing jolt of power as I roll onto my throttle after engine braking. It feels like there is a TON of chain slack or a destroyed cush drive. Both the chain and the cush drive are fine. Its getting to the point where getting back into the throttle in a turn feels like the back tire could break traction. Needless to say I dont feel too safe riding my bike. What could be the problem? Worn gears? Beat up dogs? (I've never heard grinding and its never popped out of gear). It hasn't always been like this. Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
its exactly what you titled your thread, transmission slack. a factory clutch is intended to eat that up a bit but billet baskets and clutch mods eliminate that function.

I dont have any clutch mods, however to the best of my knowledge I am still on the original equipment clutch. The current mileage is 17,015. Also the only mods are a PCIII and a full Devil Exhaust. I don't have an exact map for the exhaust so it is a tiny bit jittery at "maintenance" or "cruising" throttle. The clutch is due for a replacement as it fully engages once its completely released---------- So bottom line would a clutch kit potentially fix the issue? Thanks

In the above post I had a brain fart... I have the brock's clutch mod (back torque limiter replacement).... I think I have located the problem. I took out my clutch components and my clutch basket has free play in it. With just my hands I can move it as much as an 8th of an inch. Any movement at all by hand means that when 90 ft lbs from the motor hits it, it moves a bunch. Part number 21200-24830. Parts on the way!

In the above post I had a brain fart... I have the brock's clutch mod (back torque limiter replacement).... I think I have located the problem. I took out my clutch components and my clutch basket has free play in it. With just my hands I can move it as much as an 8th of an inch. Any movement at all by hand means that when 90 ft lbs from the motor hits it, it moves a bunch. Part number 21200-24830. Parts on the way!
Hi!
I have a 2008 GEN2, exactly the same problem, LOADS of slack in the transmission when trying to get back on the throttle... getting to the point now where it's not nice to ride, and potentially dangerous mid corner.
Did you ever solve it please?
Thanks!

Hi!
I have a 2008 GEN2, exactly the same problem, LOADS of slack in the transmission when trying to get back on the throttle... getting to the point now where it's not nice to ride, and potentially dangerous mid corner.
Did you ever solve it please?
Thanks!
Welcome.
Check chain, sprockets and cush drive for movement.

Back