Blackfish

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
It's a documentary that's been gaining traction for months now, chronicles some of the history of Sea World and it's most famous inhabitants -the killer whales that make them millions...

Projekt mentioned it on Facebook a while ago and I have watched it twice now, been doing a lot of reading because, honestly, documentaries can be very one-sided. Has anyone else seen this? It's worth a watch...

I've read a little on it, it's been out for awhile I think. I thought it was more around the deaths of trainers and the small areas driving the killer whales insane ........

I've read a little on it, it's been out for awhile I think. I thought it was more around the deaths of trainers and the small areas driving the killer whales insane ........

Well, it is about the deaths and injuries of trainers, as well as the treatment of the Orcas and how their captive lives are so very different than what they'd have in the wild (obviously), and yeah, what does that do to an emotional, problem-solving, intelligent animal after decades...just curious what people think of it if they've seen it.

I've been to Sea World, decades ago, but I won't go again after watching the documentary...IMHO, there's just too much bad mojo surrounding what Sea World does with those whales to outweigh the good... :2cents:

I haven't seen it but sounds like something I need to watch.

It was really interesting/disturbing, but take it for what it is and research more...I took from it what we should all already know/expect anyway - Sea World is out to make as much money as possible, at any cost, both in terms of animal life and human life. I've lost all respect for them and I was one of the many that wrongly assumed the whales they have in captivity were whales that had been rescued and could not be returned to the wild. That's not the case at all...

At this time, after so much controversy and a trainer death in 2010 with their largest Orca, Tilikum, Sea World shows no longer include trainers in the water along side the whales, and that ruling came very recently, but Sea World is fighting it so they can again amaze and wow the public with the lie that these whales enjoy performing for us, with us, and they don't seem to mind that they put peoples' lives at risk while doing so. Meanwhile, this one whale in particular, Tilikum, lives out his days in solitude and still performs for the masses with his tricks daily when he shouldn't have ever been held captive at all. It's all just sad.

If it has intelligence, it has feelings. We generally consider ourselves non- violent(in general), but how many of us been in a fight before?

If it has intelligence, it has feelings. We generally consider ourselves non- violent(in general), but how many of us been in a fight before?

They are very social and intelligent, as well as problem solvers...what correlation are you trying to make with the fight reference?

via Samsung Galaxy SIII

I work right next to sea world so I can give some insight. Also was there back whem Tilli killed the guy that wanted to swim with him

I work right next to sea world so I can give some insight. Also was there back whem Tilli killed the guy that wanted to swim with him

Have you watched the movie? What's your take on Sea World given what you've seen?

via Samsung Galaxy SIII

Have you watched the movie? What's your take on Sea World given what you've seen?

via Samsung Galaxy SIII

Yes I have seen it. I also can still remember when SeaWorld first opened. First.... Seaworld is nothing more than a circus. I believe there is alot of truth in Blackfish and Seaworld will always put profit above people. They treat their animals very well and they are physically healthy, mentally is another story.

Back