03 hayabusa that sat 5yrs wont run please read

tourbus

Registered
I purchased a clean 03 hayabusa yesterday that had sat 5yrs, the bike is all stock & pretty clean. I went right out & got a new battery & installed it, the bike spins over but wont start. what im seeing is the gauges dont do there sweep, im not hearing the fuel pump & all the other little noises i would hear when i turn the key on. hopefully you nice folks can get me pointed in the right direction on where to start!!!! thanks

If that thing sat for 5 years with gas in the tank, you've got some gas system maintenance ahead of you.

check all the fuses, empty gas out fill with premium, pull injectors and clean them, drop oil, pull clutch apart and check plates, you have a lot of work to do. sitting that long is bad . also check air filter for mouse nest etc. i wouldnt even try starting till i have done all the above at minimum.

check all the fuses, empty gas out fill with premium, pull injectors and clean them, drop oil, pull clutch apart and check plates, you have a lot of work to do. sitting that long is bad . also check air filter for mouse nest etc. i wouldnt even try starting till i have done all the above at minimum.

You should check or change the spark plugs too. When they are out it wouldn't hurt to look down into cylinders.

New battery, was it filled and charged, because I don't know of any interlock that keeps the gauges from sweeping. Yes, interlocks will keep the fuel pump from operating. If you're absolutely sure the battery is good , then make sure the connector is connected to the cluster and even if it is I'd disconnect and connect it.

I can't remember right now but the cluster being disconnected might be a show stopper. Is the clock up ?

New battery, was it filled and charged, because I don't know of any interlock that keeps the gauges from sweeping. Yes, interlocks will keep the fuel pump from operating. If you're absolutely sure the battery is good , then make sure the connector is connected to the cluster and even if it is I'd disconnect and connect it.

I can't remember right now but the cluster being disconnected might be a show stopper. Is the clock up ?

no, no clock, no trip or , odo @ this time. also ya i dumped old gas & will be going through this thing nose to tail

well it will be a nice winter project. little by little I'm sure you'll have her up and running again by spring. congrats on the 03':beerchug:

You said it turns over right? If it does and won't start, the first thing I would do, based on how long it sat, is to pull the injectors and have them cleaned at MPS in FL. While you have them out, remove the tank and clean it thoroughly, including the fuel pump. Bad fuel is a killer. After five years I guarantee you have bad fuel causing some kind of a problem somewhere.

P.

ok made some head way this past hour, found the fuel fuse blown, replaced that & now have working gauges. pulled tank to get to fuel pump & the pump is pretty crusty, im sure its shot. also the guy i purchased it from thought it had around 22k on it but after gauges fix i discovered it has only 12k on it :)

The entire fuel system probably needs to be cleaned. The fuel pump might be good, but junked up. Good to know about the fuse causing all those other issues.

ok made some head way this past hour, found the fuel fuse blown, replaced that & now have working gauges. pulled tank to get to fuel pump & the pump is pretty crusty, im sure its shot. also the guy i purchased it from thought it had around 22k on it but after gauges fix i discovered it has only 12k on it :)

The pump is probably seized causing the fuse to open. Like others have said get the injectors cleaned and flowed, then change the oil and go from there. Also see if you can look inside the fuel rail and steel parts of the lines,, check for corrosion, it would be a shame to clog up freshly cleaned injectors.

I've got a 99 that sat for at least as long as yours. The kid I bought it from put in a new fuel pump and got it running. Bear in mind that I am OCD and trust no one when it comes to high speed machines but this is what I have planned for the winter.

New tires, chain and sprockets -1 in the front. New brakes all around - rebuild kits for the masters and all calipers, full set of SS lines except for the rear. EBC HH pads. New fuel lines and filter, repack steering head bearings, also all the needle bearings in the swingarm. Inspect valve clearances, clean throttle bodies, send out injectors to be cleaned. Replace coolant, new battery.

Also fully clean everything, I am sure more stuff will turn up as I go. I want this to be a reliable ride. This bike has bee unloved but seems ok - it's got some scratches and dings but no cracks in the fairings or anything.

Enjoy your bike - I am already looking forward to ripping it up on mine!

why did it sit for so long...just curious?

the original/previous owner fell ill & eventually passed away here recently, his wife kept the bike & finally let it go. I went ahead and changed oil, installed a fuel pump, rinsed tank out with fresh gas, & it took some cranking but it fired up, took a couple minutes to get all cylinders going but all 4 came to life. a week ago today i took it for a 50mi ride & it ran absolutely perfect, you would never of guessed it had sat that long. its a keeper!!!!

Back