Another Insurance thread, but this one is different

lil charlie

Registered
I want to pick the org's collective brain if I can. I know we are always asking each other about which bike insurance you have but I wanted to see who you guys have for Home Owners insurance? My wife and I are building our 1st home and I need to find a policy but the prices are all over the map. Who do you guys have and are they good to deal with?

I have 21st for my autos (no body can seen to touch their price so I stick with them) but they do not offer home owners. They refer you to Farmers and I've contacted them but don't have my quote yet.

Sorry family owns my house so I only pay rental. I believe that can vary a lot from different regions though.

We had Liberty Mutual at my prior house. We actually did have a claim with them when a tree fell on our house. It was a less than desirable experience and wouldn't recommend them.

When we moved last year, Liberty Mutual wouldnt even insure our new house because it was too far from a fire station. This forced us to go back to State Farm who we had before (but we were actually glad)... Low and behold 3 weeks into our new house last yearm the washer takes a dump and floods the basement floor. State Farm was incredible to deal with and they paid for everything to rebuild our basement minus our deductible. Also, when we told them that we stayed there all day to help the Servpro guys clean up everything, they actually reduced our deductible by an amount it would have cost 2 people to work all day to clean up.

Highly recommend State Farm from ACTUAL claim experience and not just good prices.

Safeco, you really need to read the fine print. I've heard of insurance companies requiring people to get a new roof or replace their heat pump. Also on certain things ( some all things ) they will only pay 1% of the value of the property. Hail Storm, new roof, $150K property, they will only pay $1500 out. Check it out.

Myself and my folks are with allstate. not sure what the over all price is but we have everything with them. Bike is around 42.50 a month full coverage and uninsured, car is the same, and i think we have their standard home owners insurance. I want to say that all told we pay 110.00 for 6 months then 90 something the next 6 months

My USAA quote was less than State Farm's...something is wrong there...

Myself and my folks are with allstate. not sure what the over all price is but we have everything with them. Bike is around 42.50 a month full coverage and uninsured, car is the same, and i think we have their standard home owners insurance. I want to say that all told we pay 110.00 for 6 months then 90 something the next 6 months

I just changed over to AllState this year. Very honest agent. He told me to stay with Safeco on the house because they couldn't touch it.

I've had the opposite experience with Liberty Mutual. Nothing but the best customer service when it comes to filing claims, and unfortunately I've had my fair share. :down:

Farmers insurance for the house and 2 cars. I get different company quotes every 2 years and Farmers is always less $$$$

I went with State Farm 10 years ago as they were so cheap with the new Busa. Car and homeowner's were on par with my previous company so I was happy. As the years go by, their rates are getting stupid. Part of what pisses me off is they keep increasing the rebuild value of my property which of course increases my premium. Agent insisted it had to be X amount because that's what their calculator states and I have no choice because of a mortgage. Felt nice to explain to him that I don't have a mortgage and I'll insure MY house for whatever I want. Had him knock $20,000 off the rebuild value and he wasn't too happy.
The previous company I had sends me a quote every year for my home and cars but Busa excluded. I can't remember the insurer they use, but the rates are damn near 1/2 of State Farm with far better coverage. The Busa is nearing 10 years old with 25K miles so it's not like I really need full coverage anymore. However I keep thinking of a new bike and then I'd be right back where I was 10 years ago with State Farm being dirt cheap on the bike insurance.

There's also the whole teaser rate thing that I've played in the past. That new inexpensive company can be just as expensive within a year or two. Actually the rates the previous company used to try to get me to come back were a few hundred LESS than when I was with them.

Lastly, the company I work for does a lot of work with a contractor who does complete home rebuilds after disasters, fires and floods. They claim State Farm is flat out the best...they supposedly cover everything with no hassles.

Not sure what I'll do in April when it comes due.

USAA for everything except bike is with Progressive. If you have the opportunity to use USAA, I highly recommend them. I have been with them for 19 years and they have never, not even once met/exceeded my expectations.

USAA for everything except bike is with Progressive. If you have the opportunity to use USAA, I highly recommend them. I have been with them for 19 years and they have never, not even once met/exceeded my expectations.

I forgot with USAA age comes into play. But I have been with them for 12 years and love them

The insurance game has many many points that need to be considered. First location. You have asked a broad question and you are getting broad answers because it all depends on size of locale, crime rate, etc. Rates are based off of these important factors. I would rephrase your question a little to include that information because it makes a huge difference. Joe blow from timbucktoo is going to get a lower rate on his house insurance for the same house as you have because he lives out in the country with closest neighbor 4 miles away. Crime rate is 0 therefore low risk as a result lower prem. Insurance is a big game and you need to check yearly to make sure you arent getting ripped. Another prime factor is property value. You and i may have the same house from the same builder on the same size property. But my cost of replacement maybe 20k less then yours and that will affect the rate a ton. So ya good question to ask but it wont help you much as there are just too many factors.

I wrote this after a long day on the road yesterday. I meant to say that they have never NOT met/exceeded my expectations.

They have been great for nearly 2 decades.

The insurance game has many many points that need to be considered. First location. You have asked a broad question and you are getting broad answers because it all depends on size of locale, crime rate, etc. Rates are based off of these important factors. I would rephrase your question a little to include that information because it makes a huge difference. Joe blow from timbucktoo is going to get a lower rate on his house insurance for the same house as you have because he lives out in the country with closest neighbor 4 miles away. Crime rate is 0 therefore low risk as a result lower prem. Insurance is a big game and you need to check yearly to make sure you arent getting ripped. Another prime factor is property value. You and i may have the same house from the same builder on the same size property. But my cost of replacement maybe 20k less then yours and that will affect the rate a ton. So ya good question to ask but it wont help you much as there are just too many factors.

I realize all of that Viper :) I asked the broad question because I wanted the broad answers. I was hoping to find responses like the one Dad of 3 provided...Safeco, a company I'd never heard of so I could get one more quote than I was expecting to get. I was also looking to see if people are happy with the customer service they've received with there current or past providers. I've never shopped home owners before so the only companies I really know are the ones I see commercials for. I had totally forgotten about liberty Mutual too.

So here's where I'm at right now. I'm learning about all the little add on's and choices with deductibles levels. I'm asking for quotes with 2% across the board deductibles and 300K liability so all my quotes are apples to apples. The only main differences I see between these quotes is home much they valve the replacement cost, my quotes vary as much as 18K in replacement value.

USAA..................... 2160 a year
liberty Mutual......... 1380 a year
Farmers................. 1620
Gieco.................... 1412
Safeco................... 1398
All State................. 2250
State Farm............. 1840

I happen to be on the phone with my lender (Pulte Mortgage) and I asked them where they came up with the stupid low insurance number they used in my quote to show what my monthly payment would be and I was told that Pulte Homes is "in bed" with an insurance broker and they give really good rates, that I should have been contacted by them. I got their number and gave them a call.... PCIC is an insurance brokerage company affiliated with Pulte Homes.

They quoted me everything everyone else was with MUCH better deductibles and gave me discounts for using Centex Homes to build my house and another discount for using Pulte Mortgage as the finance company.

My rate is $930 a year!!!! Im assuming that is an introductory rate to get your business and that rate will increase once the policy is ready to renew but for now I will take the 50% savings.

Back