For those of you who have experience the clutch bolt noise...

kneedraggin636

Registered
Hi Folks,

I am experiencing a strange ticking coming from my 09 when the bike is moving. I have read all the posts about the abnormal clutch noise, but I'm not sure that this is the problem. The only way I can describe the sound is it is similar to the sound you get when you put playing cards in the spokes of a pedal bike (I made sure there were no cards in my wheels :laugh:).

The noise is definitely speed/rpm related and seems to come from the left-side of the bike as you sit on it. I don't notice it at low speeds and low rpms, but it becomes more pronounced as the rpms and speed increase (really noticeable around 50mph). It also seems that when I pull the clutch the noise goes away.

So my question is, for those who have had clutch bolts loosen up, did you have a similar noise when riding? I'm not sure if this is going to end up in a catastrophic failure, but it is f*cking annoying.

Any thoughts?

A clutch bolt backed out on my 09 also. Easy to check. No need to drain the oil to open clutch cover.

Yeah, the clutch cover is on the right. To be honest, I can't really tell which side the noise is coming from. It seems more pronounced on the left, but you can hear it on both the left and the right.

Take it to a dealer now! There was a recall on the clutch bolts and they are responsible to fix the problem.
I had to have mine done twice, the second time they used Red Loctite and no more troubles in 40k.
Bubba

i did mine before it started to make any noise and they were just starting to loosen up.. do them eather way...

This: :thumbsup: First place I would be checking, especially since you said it is speed/RPM associated.

Thanks for the replies. I am starting to lean towards the chain. I was looking my bike over last night and I noticed that the bottom of the chain is showing some polishing. By bottom I mean the side closest to the swingarm (top of the chain on the return trip). I will check the adjustment and go from there.

Thanks again folks.

i did mine before it started to make any noise and they were just starting to loosen up.. do them eather way...

That sounds like a plan. I called the dealership yesterday and they told me that my bike shouldn't be affected by that recall. Shouldn't being the operative word so I'm gonna check them just in case.

I have an 08 that i just bought used, had only 6k on it when i bought it about 2 months ago. Didnt have the clutch noise then, but it does now at 10500k. Is the warranty repair still in effect for this bike? I could do it but i dont have the time right now.

I have an 08 that i just bought used, had only 6k on it when i bought it about 2 months ago. Didnt have the clutch noise then, but it does now at 10500k. Is the warranty repair still in effect for this bike? I could do it but i dont have the time right now.

It wasn't a warranty repair, it was a recall, so it's free regardless of time or mileage.
Have the dealer run the vin# first, because if the recall has been done previously, the dealer will charge you for anything they do now.
If it's only noticeable at 10500rpm, that may not be the issue.
If the clutch bolts back out you'll hear them at idle and any rpm.

As far as time goes, you could fix it yourself quicker than going to the dealer.
Remove or just loosen the fairing.
Remove the clutch cover bolts. With the bike on the kickstand there is no need to drain the oil.
Remove each clutch bolt individually and put on some medium Loctite.
Torque to spec in star pattern, put cover and fairing on, done.
Really a quick and easy job.

It wasn't a warranty repair, it was a recall, so it's free regardless of time or mileage.
Have the dealer run the vin# first, because if the recall has been done previously, the dealer will charge you for anything they do now.

As far as time goes, you could fix it yourself quicker than going to the dealer.
Remove the clutch cover bolts. With the bike on the kickstand there is no need to drain the oil.

I meant the bike has 10.5 thousand miles now. I dont have my torque wrench anymore. Never really used it on any of my Hondas, but am new to the Busa so would like spec. Im thinking that there will be some metal shavings in there as my noise is quite loud until gear is engaged. Im sure the repairs have never been done because the guy i purchased it from wasnt really a rider. Bought the bike because everyone else had a busa i guess. I figure that if it is gouged enuff that the shope will cover a new cover, gasket, bolts, and oil too. Is that gonna be wishful thinking?

Get the manual for torque specs. Torque them down to spec you'll be fine unless something else is wrong.
If the bolts wore against the housing you'll see it. Drain the oil.

Bet you a dollar your chain is slightly rubbing in the chain guard / piece that goes over your front sprocket. Take a peak in there

So ive been contacting the local dealer, the only recalls that they will acknowledge is a recall for the rectifier and starter relay. They are not budging on the backing out of my bolts. I have since then found the time (10 mins ago lol) to check for myself. BAM backed out and caused a little shearing damage to the clutch cover and bolt of course. What dealer has anyone used for the clutch recall?

Bet you a dollar your chain is slightly rubbing in the chain guard / piece that goes over your front sprocket. Take a peak in there

That's what I'm thinking. Only makes the noise when the bike is moving. The weather up here is just starting to break the 50s on a regular basis so I will get out to the garage and get her prepped for this season. I'll let you know what I find.

Back