Good Deal or No???

07R6R

Registered
Been lurking here for a while, waiting to join the club. I think I may have a bike, but want the experts here to guide me.

It's an 04' with 14K on it, never dropped, crashed, etc. Says it has a modified exhaust, which appears to be a welding job. Has swing arm extensions on it. Custom paint, and seems to be good.

He wants $5K on it, but may be able to get it for a little cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's just a shortened stock exhaust - no biggie there.

I am always skepitcal of stretched bikes, but I would rip that off immediately

Other than the stretch, it looks really clean ( paint job looks nicely done).... I would say $5k is a good price for that if it's in the shape it should be in...

I was thinking of taking the extensions off. However I was looking at the pics and it's hard to tell if it's been a permanent modification.

I was thinking it'd be a good buy. I tried searching for problematic issues for 04 and couldn't really find any. It seems to be a good year!

I've seen guys pay a lot more for worse... :whistle: if he said 5k initially then that means there is some wiggle room to chew him down a bit. offer 4.5k and worst case scenario meet in the middle.

Cant tell if that is a stretched swing arm or extensions. Not a real bad deal for 5k. No real issues with the 04, just make sure you check out second gear, want to make sure those miles werent put on 1/4 mile at time if you know what I mean.

Will he let you test ride it? Some of the 1st gen busas have a 2nd gear issue. If its got that issue its about a grand to have fixed. To check it out you need to get on it hard in second gear and see if it trys to pop out of 2nd gear on you. The fix is to have the gears undercut.

He says they are extensions, but I can't tell if he somehow permanently attached them. If you look where the extension starts it looks "different" like there was some work done to it. He has it posted for $5,200, but said he'd take $5, but may take a little less. It's a 3 hour drive for me if I were to go down and get it.

Charlie I'd have no idea of knowing as I haven't asked him. I'll specifically ask that though as I'd like to have to avoid that.

Two- He said it's never been raced, so if that's the case then I think we'd be good there...haha.

Charlie I'd have no idea of knowing as I haven't asked him. I'll specifically ask that though as I'd like to have to avoid that.

Two- He said it's never been raced, so if that's the case then I think we'd be good there...haha.

I have only "raced" mine twice in 3 years but can tell you I open her up very often. I never trust anyone that says a sport bike hasn't been raced. Not saying he is lieing

Don't be shy offering less man. Hate to say it but the market is soft right now on bikes right now, Busa's in particular. You probably have seen guys with really nice 2007's on here for 5k and it takes a while for them to sell. I paid too much for my used bike that I owned before my Busa and I am pretty aggressive now. I don't want to screw anybody over but when you go to sell the bike down the road and can't get anywhere near what you paid for it the year before, you know you paid too much. That is what happened to me. I would start at 4500 even if you feel like a dink for doing it. It gives you some room to meet in the middle. Nice looking bike. I like that paint job. Good luck, hope you get it!

I'll try offering $4,500 and see what happens. He said he's desperate, and it has been up for sale for a while now.

Also I do believe it's been opened up, but he said definitely no drag/track racing.

It's towards the end of the riding season so bikes are generally worth less money as composited to spring time. If this guy doesn't sell during the fall he will have to sit on it until spring or come way down on his price. Offer him $4200 and let him come up from there. Remind him the riding season is almost over.

I have to agree with lil charlie on this one. I'd have to look it over good and take her for a ride. $4200

I have only "raced" mine twice in 3 years but can tell you I open her up very often. I never trust anyone that says a sport bike hasn't been raced. Not saying he is lieing

I like it when the ads say "adult owned":rofl:
Since they are over 18 the bike must have been well cared for:rofl:

I don't want to insult him, as it books for way more. I just offered him $4500 and told him that it'll cost me money to pick it up, tag it, yada yada yada.

based on what ive noticed is that alot of bikes that have "custom" paint jobs have been dropped hence the bike getting painted. The most id offer is 4.5k and thats pushing it...

I don't want to insult him, as it books for way more. I just offered him $4500 and told him that it'll cost me money to pick it up, tag it, yada yada yada.

Don't be concerned about the "book". Its only there as a reference. Many factors to consider... the 1st one being condition. Does he have service records? Does he have a service manual ?

Ask him how many tires he has changed on it. Did he buy it new? At 14k any more than 3 rear tires means he was pretty hard on it imho.

Ask for a total tire count so as not to tip your hand about the bike being ridden excessively hard. Listen to the motor on a cold start. What does the rest of his life look like?

Where he lives, what else he drives and the condition of those items.

I also like to ask if their are any other reasons he is selling it... listen carefully to that answer... do the words flow as easily and sound as relaxed when he answered less pointed questions or was volunteering information?

The good news is these motors are tough if maintained as they should be. On the test drive does it wheelie from a roll in 1st gear ?

Have him drive it someplace where you can run through 1st and 2nd gear a few times... then you will know what happens when the throttle is pinned through 2nd gear.

If that isn't a test that can be performed, then how will you know the condition of 2nd gear?

Value is relative... keep in mind you will be spending money on it once its yours. Also... keep looking... new deals show up all the time.

BTW... I do like that paint job ! I wouldn't mention it though until after the sale if you buy it.

Back