Gen 1 Performance Cams

Hayabusa133

Registered
Hey..I'm looking for a set of new High Performance Intake and exhaust cams for my 2006 Hayabusa. Engine is stock. What do you guys recommend...Brocks? APE?..Any other suggestions???

Thanks
Mark R.

Depends on if you are going to do more to the engine such as: Compression, Bore or stroke, Bore and stroke, Mild ported head, Race ported head, etc......

If you don't think you will go crazy in the future but already have a good exhaust, intake mod w/filter and some gearing, a mild cam would be a good mod to accentuate the stock engine. Something like a Yoshimura Stage I cam. I used one on a stock 2001 Hayabusa and it ran really good with Brock's GEN III exhaust, intake small mod, BMC Race filter and a 16t front sprocket.

You can get any Yosh, Web or Megacycle cams out there. Keep it mild and it will net you decent HP. Nothing crazy mind you but a nice bump.

I have a Yosh Stage 1 cam set right now. Thinking of selling it as I am building a bigger engine.

Thans Busa Shot....The Yoshi stage 1 sounds just about right for me....Do you know where can I purchase that new???

You can purchase them from the yosh website directly or I think. You can buy them from like a performance website like Schnitz Racing

Oh yea. If you don't want to shell out for the Yosh, I think Brock's spec are good. That would be my next bet.

I always reccomend the easy stuff 1st. Already have a pipe ? Exhaust and a tune is the 1st place to find power in my opinion. Before doing any hard part engine mods and looking for more power I woud get a set of carbon fiber wheels. Every pound of weight you remove with a wheel change equates to around 7 pounds removed from the vehicle in total weight. This means better acceleration, braking, and faster change of direction. Weight reduction pays good dividends and if you can shed weight in others ways it has the same effect as increasing power. When you are reallly tuned to how your bike feels the difference between a full tank of gas and a 1/4 tank of gas is pretty noticeable when you fill it back up.

I always reccomend the easy stuff 1st. Already have a pipe ? Exhaust and a tune is the 1st place to find power in my opinion. Before doing any hard part engine mods and looking for more power I woud get a set of carbon fiber wheels. Every pound of weight you remove with a wheel change equates to around 7 pounds removed from the vehicle in total weight. This means better acceleration, braking, and faster change of direction. Weight reduction pays good dividends and if you can shed weight in others ways it has the same effect as increasing power. When you are reallly tuned to how your bike feels the difference between a full tank of gas and a 1/4 tank of gas is pretty noticeable when you fill it back up.

I like lightweight wheels and all but I feel they should be towards the end of all mods.....classified with ceramic bearings as the last thing to do when you run out of things to do. I don't have Carbon Fiber wheels but I do have light wheels Carrozzeria (10lbs loss) along with every other light mod done to the bike. My bike now weighs 470lbs fully dressed and half tank of gas. Granted the Carbon fiber wheels have better COI and are about 3lbs lighter, I didn't see the need to spend that much. Mine were used for only $1k. The BSTs are super expensive even if you find them used. I rode my buddies ZX14R with them and noticed a little but not $3k worth. Doing a set of cams is a nice small boost of HP. Cost including install is far less than the wheels.

Even the small increase of power from small cams and inconsistencies at the strip, the cams will still show an improvement in the qtr ET and MPH while wheels probably will not see anything tangible. If you are into roll-on races, the cams will still show better improvements over the wheels. When you lose over 50lbs of total static weight is where you will notice marked improvements in acceleration and braking.

Personally I would splurge later on the wheels and if your into corners your going to love them as that is where they shine the most.

FYI - I run ceramic wheel bearings, lightweight brake rotors front/back, titanium brake rotor bolts, titanium sprocket nuts and a titanium axle with light weight nut. With all that it feels like the BSTs I am sure but that is a ton of $$$ for little performance gains........except for the road race course, oh yea!!!!!!

thanks guys....
@Busashot does the Yoshi Cams come with bearings installed???
I'm seeing that they come with sprockets...how hard is it to have bearings installed? If they need to be installed? D
Do I have to go to a machine shop to have the sprockets removed and have the bearings pressed in and then press back in the sprockets?
What bearings do the Yoshi cams use?
Do they use the same Stock cam bearings?
I'm seeing Brocks Performance selling Ceramic Cam bearings I'm wondering if those will work on the Yoshi cams?

Thanks
Mark R.

thanks guys....
I'm seeing that they come with sprockets...how hard is it to have bearings installed? If they need to be installed? D
Do I have to go to a machine shop to have the sprockets removed and have the bearings pressed in and then press back in the sprockets?
I'm seeing Brocks Performance selling Ceramic Cam bearings I'm wondering if those will work on the Yoshi cams?

Thanks
Mark R.

If you want I can sell you my Yosh cams with sprockets and bearings. I am going with a big motor and going to go with bigger cams.

thanks guys....

Thanks
Mark R.

My Question still remains though......
DO THE Yoshi Cams Come with bearings???

How do I install Cam Bearings on the Yoshi Cams???

Back