Clutch Braking?

How many people here use their clutch to slow down instead of your brake? :laugh:
I just may have invented something called "clutch Braking". It saves your brake pads.

When i am city riding, i slow with my clutch hardly ever using my brake. I can come to almost a complete stop using my clutch and then i apply my brake after i am at a complete stop..

Down shifting is as old as manual transmissions, You have not found anything new here.

Awww damn, i thought i might of had something.....Sometimes i down**** and my rear tire swerves to the left and right a little,,,,but your right, it probably nothing new. What i meant was, i slow with my clutch more by downshifting than applying the brake to where i think some people apply their brake more.. I use my brakes as little as possible to save the pads..

You should use a balanced combination of front and rear brake as well as down shifting. If you use any of the three exclusively you will have premature wear on those particular parts I/E clutch and brake pads. Pads on a bike are not as expensive as clutch plates but you should not favor one over the other.

I knew a dude had a 350 twin Honda chopper, he clutched down to first on a big downhill about 70 and a rod came out through the case, oil hit the road, & poo hit his pants... New motor set him back some.... I never married the practice.

I knew a dude had a 350 twin Honda chopper, he clutched down to first on a big downhill about 70 and a rod came out through the case, oil hit the road, & poo hit his pants... New motor set him back some.... I never married the practice.

There is something to be said about common sense. Down shifting into 1st at 70 mph is moronic.

How the Hell you gonna get the back wheel off the ground if you don't use the brake??!! Jus say'n

Brake pads: Under $100/set
Clutch: Over $250 each
Plus labor.

I choose brake pads.

HOWEVER, racers use the clutch to modulate braking when approaching a turn; that's how they kick the rear out...

..Well ya, i think i am gonna start using brakes more but its alway good to downshift when u come to a stop, just not at high speeds. I have downshifted before at high speeds and scared myself, i have also hit a deer, it happened soo fast i did not have time to do anything, $2000 dollars worth of damage that i had to order parts online. I did not go down or anything, i think if i was on a harley or any other bike i would have went down, the hayabusa is shaped like a bullet with nothing to snag on....
Remember if you see a deer, don't swerve or brake, give it more throttle if anything.
Don would have still been alive today if he didn't swerve or brake but i guess some people are just too careful and think too much of others.. I think being too careful is dangerous also..
If i was Don i would have hit the f'er and kept on going without even looking back..

Im sorry but i kinda got off on the wrong subject from this thread...I guess i just have too good of a memory and certain things bother me...

If you down shift to loose speed and have a set up to come out of a turn / whatever it is a good technique...if you engine brake all day long every day it is not so good...pull in the clutch...dance on the brakes and power out...mr schwantz is a great view....

Braking Techniques with Kevin Schwantz - YouTube[/url]

brakes are not always for stopping...just prepping / setting up the suspension for more power...

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont really care what you do. Chew up yer clutch etc...

For the folks out there that might want to alert todays texting,eating,downloading,fiddle-fuggin drivers behind you that you are slowing or stopping,I recomend flashing the brake light a few times (ie,using your brakes)...might save your life and your clutch fibers,etc.

A motor with the displacement and compression ratio of the Busa,will slow dramatically on downshift.

As with all things there are always different opinions.

FleaBay has plenty of parts for you "clutch-brakers" when the day comes they are needed.:laugh:

For the newbies out there....slowing without brakes in traffic is just stoopid.

Again,thats just my opinion.

RSD.

I dont really care what you do. Chew up yer clutch etc...

For the folks out there that might want to alert todays texting,eating,downloading,fiddle-fuggin drivers behind you that you are slowing or stopping,I recomend flashing the brake light a few times (ie,using your brakes)...might save your life and your clutch fibers,etc.

A motor with the displacement and compression ratio of the Busa,will slow dramatically on downshift.

As with all things there are always different opinions.

FleaBay has plenty of parts for you "clutch-brakers" when the day comes they are needed.:laugh:

For the newbies out there....slowing without brakes in traffic is just stoopid.

Again,thats just my opinion.

RSD.

This for sure! If ya wanna take a semi up the frickin poop shoot keep engine braking maybe a lincoln in your arse sounds like fun to you but i bet it wont sounds so damn fun in the er after you get hit. Why do you think vehicles have lights in particular brake lights?

Back