Rear brake pads.. How to replace?

meangene21

Registered
I did not see any PINNED threads out there for this.....

I have the manual but it does not go into detail on how to remove the brake pads. Can someone tell me how to remove the MOUNTING PINS and springs? My guess would be to get some pliers out and start moving the PINS out towards me... Can someone shed some light on this for me? This is my first time doing the pad change so I do not want to just go forcing things..

Thanks in advance !

Get a service manual, and a friend that has done it before for guidance. It's really not difficult.
PDF versions are downloadable here on the .org

Make sure to have an understanding of it and all tools needed before you start. Double check that the new pads are indeed the correct ones.

Guessing and brake work really don't go hand and hand, or at least in my garage they don't.

Gen 1 or Gen 2 Busa..
Gen 1..removed the plastic undercover...using pliers remove the 2 spring clips and hopefully the steel pins slide out..sometimes they need persuaded out with pliers as well...take care when removing them and pay attention to the way the retaining springs are fitted.
If the pins refuse to budge then it is possible to push them out by drilling small holes in the back of the caliper directly in-line with the pins and use a punch to drive them out..3 or 4 mm hole is more than enough.

Gen 2..loosen the allen bolt 1st then unscrew the 2 mounting bolts...pads are held in place at the front edge of the caliper by small spring clamps...just be sure they don't fall out.

Get a service manual, and a friend that has done it before for guidance. It's really not difficult.
PDF versions are downloadable here on the .org

Make sure to have an understanding of it and all tools needed before you start. Double check that the new pads are indeed the correct ones.

Guessing and brake work really don't go hand and hand, or at least in my garage they don't.

I have the downloadable service manual from this site and it does not tell you how to remove the pins, just to remove them..... This is a Gen1 busa

Tel boy has it covered.

Also watch level in the brake reservoir. as you push the caliper pistons back to get in the new,thicker pads the res can overflow,especially if someone had too much in there to begin with.

This is also a great time to dump the old fluid.:thumbsup:

RSD.

Gen 1 or Gen 2 Busa..
Gen 1..removed the plastic undercover...using pliers remove the 2 spring clips and hopefully the steel pins slide out..sometimes they need persuaded out with pliers as well...take care when removing them and pay attention to the way the retaining springs are fitted.
If the pins refuse to budge then it is possible to push them out by drilling small holes in the back of the caliper directly in-line with the pins and use a punch to drive them out..3 or 4 mm hole is more than enough.

Gen 2..loosen the allen bolt 1st then unscrew the 2 mounting bolts...pads are held in place at the front edge of the caliper by small spring clamps...just be sure they don't fall out.

So with my Gen 1 I took a picture and thought I knew which way the retaining springs went. I thought the springs basically faced outwards but when putting in the new pads I second guessed myself. The pic i took was not clear to me... If the springs are facing outwards then it doesnt appear that it holds anything in place. However, if you face them inwards than they appear to hold the shims, but it looks like they might get in the way... Can someone confirm the direction of the retaining springs? Again - the service manual doesnt do a good job showing you which way.. Thanks in advanced.

Back