Mounted a Voltmeter

FALQN

Registered
I've been wanting to add a voltmeter for awhile, but had a hard time spending $50 on a Datel unit. Finally found one from a company called FutureLec, for $10...shipping was only $4. It took about a week and a half to get here by mail (think it came from China). You have to solder the pins onto the wires and then set them inside the connector. I made a bracket to hold the unit just under the right handle bar, because I don't want to cut into my panels. Turned out great for only $14:laugh:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Couple of questions. Do you have a bunch of accessories, and what type of cruise is that?

Couple of questions. Do you have a bunch of accessories, and what type of cruise is that?

The only added electrical items are LED's that are on all the time, at all four corners and the Rostra Cruise Control. But, I like knowing what my system is doing and if I start adding things like heated gear, I can keep an eye on the load.

I probably need one of those with all the electrical farkles I've got on there. Thinking of adding even more. Keeping the bike on a battery tender all the time seems to make a huge difference.

I probably need one of those with all the electrical farkles I've got on there. Thinking of adding even more. Keeping the bike on a battery tender all the time seems to make a huge difference.

Very surprised YOU don't have one on there Tim...with all of the touring and farkles. Would like to extend my riding season with heated gear, eventually.

I've been wanting to add a voltmeter for awhile, but had a hard time spending $50 on a Datel unit. Finally found one from a company called FutureLec, for $10...shipping was only $4. It took about a week and a half to get here by mail (think it came from China). You have to solder the pins onto the wires and then set them inside the connector. I made a bracket to hold the unit just under the right handle bar, because I don't want to cut into my panels. Turned out great for only $14:laugh:

This is cool. You wouldn't happen to have the link where you purchased that voltmeter, would you?

Will give it a try.

XL3-20V Digital Red LED Voltmeter - 0-20V DC 1 $8.90 $8.90
Subtotal $8.90
Shipping $4.00
Total $12.90

Side effect of adding all these goodies to the '08 is not enough juice it seems as I'm riding. Not an expert in much, so I'm learning as I go. Got a new Yuasa battery that's a couple months old. Thinking of adding that beefed up stator that Rick's Electric offers.

Don't think there's anyone on the board that's done that mod or actively posted about it. My concern is if I add this 500 watt stator, what other mods do I need to make to the charging system to make sure it actually works & doesn't blow anything. Do I need to swap out to their Hot Shot Rectifier-Regulator to handle it? Maybe a call to Rick's is order.

21-318H.jpg

21-318H.jpg

Great idea on monitoring your battery voltage. Can you illustrate on how you did the mounting bracket?

kart, I used some spare steel plate that I bought for another project. Basically I measured the voltmeter under the bezel...it's designed to click into place and sit flat against the bezel...and cut the hole and mounting tab. Sand smooth, spray with primer and finished with spray version of Plast-dip. You'll need to bend the tab and angle it up so you can see the display...before you paint.

image.jpg

Thanks FALQN for the heads up.

Got the volt meter, will be a winter project after tour season ends.

Just got the Ricks Electric Hot Shot Stator today. Talked them a few days ago and they highly recommend their Hot Shot Magneto/Rectifier so may be stuck, and have to swap that out also.

Back