Can someone explain resale value to me..

GsxrBots

Motorboatin' Moonpies, Gangnam Style
Registered
So you all know I'm looking at a Concours C14. Brand new these bad boys have a retail of about $16K

So why is it that my 2008 Busa (retail new of $11K) is worth only $400 less than a 2010 Concours?

I know Kawi has ALWAYS suffered from resale value issues, but that's ridiculous. I'm almost thinking of passing on one just based on this.

Anyone have any insight? I've never heard a bad thing about the Concours, and I didn't start this thread to bash big green. I'm just curious as to why...

Resale varies by models/makes/years. There's no set logic to it. NADA is a good place to start for values, as to why, it's the ebb and flow of the market.

Resale varies by models/makes/years. There's no set logic to it. NADA is a good place to start for values, as to why, it's the ebb and flow of the market.

Even the 2010 ZX14 is worth $200 less than my 2008 busa.

Makes no sense. The entire Kawasaki line can't hold value.

I have never understood KBB or resale value based on those guidelines.

If I sell something and want what it is actually worth in excellent condition buyers always bring a paper showing the value is $$$ less than what I want and do not take into consideration the boat or vehicle has 1/10th the hours or miles on it and is great shape with a generator, etc installed.

If I look at other vehicles for sale around the area and out 200 miles my boat was 2 grand cheaper than the rest I saw and still took me months to sell because of the KBB value people stated. I had to show them the KBB value I had including all the extras plus a $2900 trailer they do not show on KBB.

I know it's not your situation but I have to say, book values just don't mean that much to me. It is very difficult to actually find something listed for what the book value shows, and even harder to talk someone down to that value unless it's a POS.

You should be looking at this..

2013 Yamaha FJR1300A

Much sexier!

Cluck on features!
Cruise control and heated grips :-D

I can't stand the FJRs. :puke:

Too small, and they look hideous without bags to me. I know the features are great, but that's only for the 2013 models. I'm looking for something a few years old.
IF I'm getting a sport tourer it's gonna be a C14.

I have never understood KBB or resale value based on those guidelines.

If I sell something and want what it is actually worth in excellent condition buyers always bring a paper showing the value is $$$ less than what I want and do not take into consideration the boat or vehicle has 1/10th the hours or miles on it and is great shape with a generator, etc installed.

If I look at other vehicles for sale around the area and out 200 miles my boat was 2 grand cheaper than the rest I saw and still took me months to sell because of the KBB value people stated. I had to show them the KBB value I had including all the extras plus a $2900 trailer they do not show on KBB.

I know it's not your situation but I have to say, book values just don't mean that much to me. It is very difficult to actually find something listed for what the book value shows, and even harder to talk someone down to that value unless it's a POS.

I understand what you mean, but even dealership prices right now are dictating what I'm seeing. Plenty of 2010 Concours out there with low miles for $10K...

I've seen plenty of '08-'10 Busas for $9500 I'm happy for my Busa's resale, but not liking the Connie's...

Even the 2010 ZX14 is worth $200 less than my 2008 busa.

Makes no sense. The entire Kawasaki line can't hold value.

I understand what you mean, but even dealership prices right now are dictating what I'm seeing. Plenty of 2010 Concours out there with low miles for $10K...

I've seen plenty of '08-'10 Busas for $9500 I'm happy for my Busa's resale, but not liking the Connie's...

From what I understand there are two ways for this to be dictated. There are certain "experts" that can give their opinion on what will or will not be classics, and that can keep the value of a vehicle higher. For example I recall reading an article saying "There are only 2 or 3 American cars being made now that have contention to be classics" and I forget what he listed off, but that's one way.

The other way - as I said before - is supply and demand. The concours isn't anything special, I'm not trying to diss the concours bike, but it's not #1 in a specific category(Touring), it's not highly sought after. For this type of motorcycle, BMW has the touring market owned. Which brings us to the last part of your question - why is your Busa valued so high?

For what I'll call the "big 4" Japanese sportbike companies, all the bikes are top of the line. So they are highly sought after. The Busa's hold their value for the reason that they're kind of the top dog. They have been around for a while, people know they're dependable, and they've gathered a following. Kawasaki sport bikes have a good resale value, but for other categories they aren't really sought after. The lower demand for their non sport model bikes leads to lower resale values. So - supply and demand will dictate a fair market price.

A good example of this is Jeep Wranglers. The Wrangler has a TERRIBLE rating from consumer reports year after year, however their resale values are high because when people buy a jeep, they know what they're buying. And they want them. The demand is high, so higher price.

1000's of people want Busa's.

Only a handfull of dummies,oops, I mean smart buyers, want a Concours. :laugh:

Question...answered. :thumbsup:

RSD.

I also hate buyers armed with "facts" from this book or that. A guy made an' offer on my HD...he was kind enuff to enclose a link to KBB in his offer.

I wanted 17 grand. He offered 12. I guess he figured I was suddenly going to "come to me sense's" because of his irrefutible evidence/research.???

I was kind enough to respond back with... "Why don't you go get F......." :laugh:

The more buyers I meet...the more buyers I HATE.

RSD.

Same thing with Cadillac and Mercedes two competitively priced cars new give them a few years and then try to sell them you in for a sad day when it comes to deal private or trade in. On the up side that means it's great to buy a slightly used one instead :beerchug:

From what I understand there are two ways for this to be dictated. There are certain "experts" that can give their opinion on what will or will not be classics, and that can keep the value of a vehicle higher. For example I recall reading an article saying "There are only 2 or 3 American cars being made now that have contention to be classics" and I forget what he listed off, but that's one way.

The other way - as I said before - is supply and demand. The concours isn't anything special, I'm not trying to diss the concours bike, but it's not #1 in a specific category(Touring), it's not highly sought after. For this type of motorcycle, BMW has the touring market owned. Which brings us to the last part of your question - why is your Busa valued so high?

For what I'll call the "big 4" Japanese sportbike companies, all the bikes are top of the line. So they are highly sought after. The Busa's hold their value for the reason that they're kind of the top dog. They have been around for a while, people know they're dependable, and they've gathered a following. Kawasaki sport bikes have a good resale value, but for other categories they aren't really sought after. The lower demand for their non sport model bikes leads to lower resale values. So - supply and demand will dictate a fair market price.

A good example of this is Jeep Wranglers. The Wrangler has a TERRIBLE rating from consumer reports year after year, however their resale values are high because when people buy a jeep, they know what they're buying. And they want them. The demand is high, so higher price.

BINGO!

Just a few reasons I've never been a Kawi fan. Not to mention the frame style and engine on the 14/Concours is a major PITA to work on compared to others...

Resale value is directly tied to consumer demand.
Not only does it have to do with actual value but it also has alot to do with how many of said make and model are currently available and what average lot time on those is. Banks look at vehicles in DOL or days on lot. All vehicles have an average that they will sit. More popular more in demand things will have a higher resale value. The lower resale value will turn away most lenders or create higher interest rates. As for cars this is why dodge/Chrysler vehicles values suck and banks shy away from them.

You got me bots??? I can look on ebay and craigslist right now and see 2010 ZX-14's for $8K-9K............. That's still the asking price for 08 Busas! So if the ZX-14 is such a superior machine and more sought after then why are they selling for less than an older and "slower" busa :whistle:

Nothing wrong with Concours - finding low mileage used touring rigs isn't all that easy! I can go online and find sportbikes including busa's several years old with 2 to 6 k miles all day long. Plus touring rigs are overpriced on the lots. I saw left over new Concours OTD from 12900 to 13500. I believe they take a bigger "drive off the lot" re-sale depreciation.

In the end - supply and demand. What someone will pay.

Back