Restarting old motor-sat for 24mos...

BigDiesel

Registered
Just curious what I should be doing w/a motor this old...no gas in tank, no coolant in rad(tore bike down to the frame/motor, all auxillary parts/wires removed) and not much oil in the pan.
Bike is re-wired; I have a fresh battery already hooked up and exhaust back on the bike...lost my Clutch MC, so Im installing a new/used unit I got from a member here (thanx Miguel!) then adding fluid to bleed/flush the clutch, and then on to front/rear brakes. After that-Im tenative; should I "flush" coolant system w/water, then add fresh coolant? (if so, whats everyone's fav right now?)
Should I throw in fresh oil before the coolant? (I know procedure for flushing/filling coolant resvr calls for engine to be running...cant do that w/o oil in the pan)
Don't want to screw up here, if Im missing anything important please chime in, all advice is appreciated:thumbsup:

Just curious what I should be doing w/a motor this old...no gas in tank, no coolant in rad(tore bike down to the frame/motor, all auxillary parts/wires removed) and not much oil in the pan.
Bike is re-wired; I have a fresh battery already hooked up and exhaust back on the bike...lost my Clutch MC, so Im installing a new/used unit I got from a member here (thanx Miguel!) then adding fluid to bleed/flush the clutch, and then on to front/rear brakes. After that-Im tenative; should I "flush" coolant system w/water, then add fresh coolant? (if so, whats everyone's fav right now?)
Should I throw in fresh oil before the coolant? (I know procedure for flushing/filling coolant resvr calls for engine to be running...cant do that w/o oil in the pan)
Don't want to screw up here, if Im missing anything important please chime in, all advice is appreciated:thumbsup:

Never for any reason run a motor with no oil.

If the motor was subject temp changes,that changes alot IMOA.

Coolant is the least of your worries,wont even get hot for for awhile,plenty of time to fill up the system.

You can start by loading the rad with a 50/50 mix per usual,then burp the system(squeeze the bottom hoseto extract air faster)with motor running.

Use cheaper products for the first fill,yer going to dump them anyway.at least I would. Shi7 in the cooling system to get rid of.Shi7/condensation in the oil passages to get rid of.

Any lubricant added to the cylinders for storage?

RSD.

Since it has sat for so long i would put fresh oil in it, and disconnect the crank trigger plug to turn it over to build oil pressure first.
After cranking for 30 seconds then re hook the trigger then start

Thanks for all the info/advice guys, I'll give'er a try;)
Big thanx GHP for the crank trigger-method, I was wondering about getting oil in, w/o sparking motor.
If she blows...guess I'll start looking at 1441cc kits...again, lol;)

1st thing i'd do after an oil change is get it into 6th gear and roll in forward to be sure its free to turn over on the starter....just incase a piston ring is stuck.
Generally the engine is likely to be 100% fine...mates GSXR600 was laid up for 5 years and started 1st time...only issue was the choke linkages had corroded and needed cleaned up and freed.
Even though the tank is dry there is still a chance that injector filters are gummed up so add some cleaner to the fresh fuel to help dissolve any gum.

Back