20k mile maintenance

Stilslo

Registered
Hey guys, I'm coming up on 20k miles on the busa. I just had tires put on yesterday.Ordered brake pads and plugs to change out this weekend. I'm contemplating having the valves checked. This is something I don't know how or feel comfortable doing myself. The local dealer wants $450.00 to check the valves and more if they have to adjust. I'm all about maintenance so if I need to do it so be it, but that's a lot of money to spend on something for nothing. How often do you guys check your valves?

Well after rebuilding a gen 2 that was not maintained, i suggest you find some where to get it done!
Gen 2's are very expensive to rebuild!

Work with me bro. Your supposed to say I'm good for another 10k miles.

ask yourself would you rather spend 450.00 and know where you stand or roll the dice and like gixxer hp spend 4,500.00.. chances are they might be good but best to have them checked...

Does it say somewhere we should check this n that at a certain mileage?
I don't have an owners manual.

I am at almost 27,000 miles and have never broke the valve cover seal and dont plan on it till I hear the ticking become louder or less performance....

If you are set on spending 500 bucks for someone to go in to your engine be DAMN sure they are competent or you may have one set wrong and create issues you were trying to prevent.

My personal advice, LEAVE it alone.

I am at almost 27,000 miles and have never broke the valve cover seal and dont plan on it till I hear the ticking become louder or less performance....

If you are set on spending 500 bucks for someone to go in to your engine be DAMN sure they are competent or you may have one set wrong and create issues you were trying to prevent.

I think the valve tightens up as it wears, no? If you hear noise it may be too late?

There service intervals on theses motors for a reason, the tolerances are so close, many things can go wrong!

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll wait on the valves.

Invest in a technical manual from Suzuki ($75) and follow the instructions carefully. Checking the valve clearance is an easy squeezy thing to do in your garage. It's the shimming process that gets a little touchy but still doable if you follow the instruction & photos in the manual.

Suzuki didn't suggest checking the valve clearances just to give you something to do on a sunday afternoon. It's to keep you from ending up giving GixxerHP a job! Ignoring your valves is like running from the law. Most of the time you win but occasionally you loose and you pay dearly for your choices.

I have a friend who is anal about maintenance. He re-shims his valves (On some cold winter day) at the first scheduled check. He sets the valves as loose as possible and stay within spec. This leaves lots of room for wear. As far as I know he has never had to shim another valve as long as he owned the machine.

Valve train wear tightens the valve train? First time I ever heard that. Wear occurs at the top of the bucket and the cam. This would create a larger gap, therefore increasing clearances that would have to be compensated with a larger shim.

If I am wrong please educate me.

subscribed! i just hit the 17k mark and this has been on my mind since 12k and untouched. i can't believe a valve check is $5 bills.

The shims dont generally wear, the Valve seat's and the valves do though.
Generally the intakes get loose and the exhausts tighten up!
Valve train wear tightens the valve train? First time I ever heard that. Wear occurs at the top of the bucket and the cam. This would create a larger gap, therefore increasing clearances that would have to be compensated with a larger shim.

If I am wrong please educate me.

Sighs I hate shim style valve adjustments:banghead:

Why did they use the adjustable style on older model gixxer engines and now shims :dunno:

i paid a mechanic to check my valves at 30k and 60k and he said he didnt have to adjust anything because they were still in spec. I wouldnt worry too much. :2cents: :beerchug:

Back