Sutble changes, big difference!

Ron223

Registered
My bike came with an upgraded Saddlemen seat which as some of you know, I was very unhappy with. I got the stock original seat from the dealer today and also a double bubble windscreen. The stock seat sits about and 1"-1 1/2" lower. Not only do I like the position 100% better, it's like I have to learn the bike all over again. I was shocked at how much it changed everything about the feel and handling of the bike! I'm gonna send it out to Lee in time but for now I'm very happy with the changed posture. I was having to full tuck at like 90mph because I was postured so high and a stock windscreen.

Question though: I'm running 34 psi front, 36 psi rear on stock tires with a little over 1000 miles on them. Tonight was the first time I leaned harder on them since dropping from stock, 42psi. It felt spongy, as if it were bouncing or the tires were "wobbling". Is this due to the pressure or just that I'm still wearing off my chicken strips and may have been further over on the outer edge which isn't yet wore in?

:thumbsup: you'll have to figure out what tire pressure works for you brother.

I'm cool with that but I'm just not sure what that feedback was telling me. So I figured I'd ask you more experienced guys. What would you say such feedback is saying? It was a spongy, almost bouncing feeling.

Do you want to donate the saddle man to me since you are unhappy with it? My dog chewed up my seat.....

Do you want to donate the saddle man to me since you are unhappy with it? My dog chewed up my seat.....

I'm gonna hang on to it for a while for now. Though if you or anybody else may be able to help me understand the tire feedback I asked about would be greatly appreciated.

^ that's my guess! did you set it for your weight and riding preference?

34F/36R is right about where you'd want them for twisties riding, for track riding you would drop it several more psi. If you've been riding them at 42 psi, it's possible what your feeling IS actual feed back. Otherwise it sounds like you probably have a suspension setting issue of some sort brought out by pushing the bike in the corners harder than before.

Is the suspension sag set?

Going tomorrow to get a baseline suspension tune for my weight. I'm comfortable with most things but prefer somebody more experienced to tune it. What do you recommend for psi? I'm 185, try to get low at times and ride somewhat aggressive, street only.

34F/36R is right about where you'd want them for twisties riding, for track riding you would drop it several more psi. If you've been riding them at 42 psi, it's possible what your feeling IS actual feed back. Otherwise it sounds like you probably have a suspension setting issue of some sort brought out by pushing the bike in the corners harder than before.

Thanks! I'll let you know after tomorrow's suspension tune.

You might have to counter steer harder, the bike might be trying to come up in the corner. I was use to the weight of a gixxer but realized I had to counter a little harder on the busa. Just a thought.

Then maybe reverse the two? 36f 34r?

That's a track thing, and there is no actual rule of thumb for it even there. It works out that way sometimes when your looking to get the proper pressure rise during the warmers and the session to insure your getting the correct amount of heat into race tires. And it changes with track temperatures throughout the day. Street tires are designed to work over a much wider range of heating, so the pressure rise thing isn't a concern. Wear however is a concern most of the time. I run the rear tire pressure a little higher than the front to get some semblance of wear out of them. 4500 miles is the most I can expect from a sport touring rear tire as it is (barely 2500 on a full sport), and dropping the pressure down under 35psi I find just increases the wear and further shortens the life span, without doing any noticeable good grip wise.
4500 miles with 35f/37r pressures equals a pretty even wear rate between a sport front and a sport touring rear, with no grip problems that I've found..

Tires.. 9-27-2012 002.jpg

Back