Is a new Dunlop Q2 with 1910 manufacture date too old?

Tiller

Registered
Looking at buying a NEW rear off a guy for a good price but manufacture date is 19th week of 2010. It was a warehouse inventory tire that was being cleared out so it was stored in a cold garage or anything like that.

Is that too old to run?

Thanks

I'd run it. It's not quite as bad as the tires on your CBR... :whistle:

Where are you finding a Q2 that old in the first place?

:laugh:

A guy on the STT forums is selling it. It's a brand new 190/50 he's selling because he sold his liter bike. I passed on it because, while i'm sure it is 100% fine, my mental handicap would not let me stop thinking about me tracking a 3 year old tire..

If not 100% faith, dont run it

A guy on the STT forums is selling it. It's a brand new 190/50 he's selling because he sold his liter bike. I passed on it because, while i'm sure it is 100% fine, my mental handicap would not let me stop thinking about me tracking a 3 year old tire..

If not 100% faith, dont run it

Peace of mind is worth the cost of a newer tire. :thumbsup:

I need you to buy that tire, so the next time we are out together you spend an inordinate amout of time worrying about it when I'm passing you :moon: :)

Not sure how this works, but in cycling (road bicycle racing) aged tires perform much better and get more miles on them.

A tire stored in a cool, dry, dark place last for a very long time. You would never know the difference in that 3 yr tire over one that was a week old. The manufacturer guarantees the tire for six years no matter how it's stored.

I had a Dunlop D207 I had layin around my garage forever. I thought about throwing it out since it had been 11 years since it came off the mold. I put it on the rear of my gixxer and wore that thing down to the ware bars from shoulder to shoulder and it worked just fine.

Tires do degrade over time but the difference in a 3 yr old tire and a fresh one is so minuet you will never know the difference if the tire was twice that old. Racers want the freshest tires they can get because a tenth of a second makes the difference in winning and being the first looser. You are a milestone from that level of riding.

I can say this, it would not affect me in the slightest to romp this 3 yr old tire to the cords and it wouldn't affect my lap times if I was on a fresh tire.

A little pointer: If you learn to ride shagged tires you'll improve you skills much faster than being on fresh rubber all the time. Get yourself comfortable on tires that slide around and it makes you a demon on fresh rubber. Sh*t, at my age I'd rater have a new set of race tires than a hot night with your girlfriend :D

For $130 shipped no I would just get a fresh one..

Looking at buying a NEW rear off a guy for a good price but manufacture date is 19th week of 2010. It was a warehouse inventory tire that was being cleared out so it was stored in a cold garage or anything like that.

Is that too old to run?

Thanks

3 years stored away is no biggie as long as it wasn't left outside. Once a tire hits 10 years old it's recommended to remove it from a vehicle weather tread is good or not internals of the tire start to break down and u run high risk of blowing it out. But 3 yrs old stored away isn't a big deal. But for $50 more u can get a fresh one. as goldenchild said "for $130 no I would get a fresh one." I'd see if u can get it cheaper then the 130 especially where it's old stock in there warehouse.

Back