Is there a TIRE GURU in the house (truck tires)

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
My nephew notices a nail in my truck tire this morning. Well,I hate plugs and it's time for new skins on all 4 corners anyway.

2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel

I was thinking about going from stock 265/70 R 17 load range E to a 285/70. I have a 2" levelling kit up front so I could go bigger,but dont want to lose mileage or tear up new front end.(the Cummins is heavy and chews up front end componants like a fat guy at an' "all-you-can-eat").

My truck is a "Pavement Princess" never off road,but I do need a "snow flake" tire,there is the odd mountain around here and local law requires snow capable tires. Plus being over-powered and 4+ tons,I don't want to get stuck even thou it snows here about 3 days a year.(paranoid,yes)

needs/wants:

non-agressive tread (say medium,just for looks)
good load range(may buy a camper,etc)
long lasting (if possible)
decent MPG's
must have snow flake emblem

called lots of shops. There are lots of opinions out there (depends on what they have on the rack I think)

One shop: Michelin LTX® A/T2 or michelin LTX® M/S2
Both about 1300.oo OTD

Second shop: Nokian blah blah blah I've never heard of Nokian tires.
1600.oo OTD

3rd shop: waiting on call back.

Any suggestions folks? Please and thanks.

I-NEED-NEW-RUBBAH

BfGoodrich AllTerrain
Long lasting, high mileage, great grip, not an aggressive tire, low noise...even when worn out.

I have run the BFG All Terrain got around 70000 to 80000 out of each set, 93 Z71, great tires. I have also run a couple of sets of Michelin LTX MS, 70000 + miles out of each sets, only rotated every 6000 miles, never had to balance these, and was on my 98 Expedition 4x4. The Michelins did great in the snow, what little we had, and they are quiet and rode VERY GOOD. If you dont need the aggressiveness of the BFGs I would get the Michelins. Just my 2 cents. :)

I have run the BFG All Terrain got around 70000 to 80000 out of each set, 93 Z71, great tires. I have also run a couple of sets of Michelin LTX MS, 70000 + miles out of each sets, only rotated every 6000 miles, never had to balance these, and was on my 98 Expedition 4x4. The Michelins did great in the snow, what little we had, and they are quiet and rode VERY GOOD. If you dont need the aggressiveness of the BFGs I would get the Michelins. Just my 2 cents. :)

Cool,thanks bro.

RSD.

BfGoodrich AllTerrain
Long lasting, high mileage, great grip, not an aggressive tire, low noise...even when worn out.

BFG A/T are not what they use to be. They old school A/T wore like iron. The newer version which has been out for a couple years the A/T T/A KO after about 20k they start to chop and get noisy. BFG A/T is a love em or hate em tire.

Michelins will prob be the quietest ride you will get. Michelin owns BFG. Only downfall to Michelin is they do dry rot quicker then most other brands. They mix a chemical with there tires called halobutol. They make great tires but if your in warm/hot weather they will dry out quicker then most. Any tire gets dry rot there all made out of obviously oil and rubber but differ companies but differ additivies into the tires. It really depends on what kind of tire your looking for weather it be smooth quiet aggressive traction.

Get either the BFG or the Michelin.. not saying that cause I work there...saying cause I build them both! And we do build the Michelin tires a little different but quality wise they get checked 7 times before we even ship them out or plant and if you have any problems with them call our call center and they will help you all they can 1800-847-3435

Get either the BFG or the Michelin.. not saying that cause I work there...saying cause I build them both! And we do build the Michelin tires a little different but quality wise they get checked 7 times before we even ship them out or plant and if you have any problems with them call our call center and they will help you all they can 1800-847-3435

Thats the kind of response I was looking for. :thumbsup:

07busa07,slowboy,or anybody else...anyway to slow the dryrot process? I really take care of all my stuff and would kile to keep the rubbah in the best shape possible. Perhaps tire spray or foam applied inside and out? 07' you mentioned enviro...hottest it gets here about 80 degree's...coldest about o degree's.(can get hotter/colder but rarely)

What I whent with:https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/random-thoughts/173234-got-my-new-skins-today-im-love-all-over-again.html

Thanks men, RSD.

Thats the kind of response I was looking for. :thumbsup:

07busa07,slowboy,or anybody else...anyway to slow the dryrot process? I really take care of all my stuff and would kile to keep the rubbah in the best shape possible. Perhaps tire spray or foam applied inside and out? 07' you mentioned enviro...hottest it gets here about 80 degree's...coldest about o degree's.(can get hotter/colder but rarely)

What I whent with:https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/random-thoughts/173234-got-my-new-skins-today-im-love-all-over-again.html

Thanks men, RSD.

tire shine is believe it or not one of the worst things for tires. it dries out tires quicker because of the chemicals in it. if you are doing tire shine don't use cheap stuff. I believe Mequiars makes some and they have some of the best stuff when it comes to cleaners/waxes and shines on the market.

Michelin customer service isn't too bad. All thought they don't do any road hazards on there tires they always like to say we will do a courtesy credit this one time. Its better then nothing but they are definitely 1 of the strictest companies on the market for warranties. Excellent product overall. Been selling tires for 12.5 years with same company I work for currently and have dealt with many warranty issues with all companies. Goodyear is the worst by far :laugh:

tire shine is believe it or not one of the worst things for tires. it dries out tires quicker because of the chemicals in it. if you are doing tire shine don't use cheap stuff. I believe Mequiars makes some and they have some of the best stuff when it comes to cleaners/waxes and shines on the market.

07busa07.You are da man. makes sense about the tire shine. I use only the best products on my stuff. (the oil for the trans on my dirt bike is 15 bucks a quart,mind you,its about an $8000 bike).

Should I just skip tire shine all together? Or is there one that wont do any damage at all? I like Meguire's. :thumbsup:

And to think,some num-nut further up the thread just told me to :google: (just kiddin',num-nut:poke:)

RSD.

gasgas 1.jpg

gasgas 2.jpg

Back