Officers of the org, what speed do you look for?

outlawbusa

1 wheel up aero testing
Donating Member
Registered
If you can say freely, what speed does your dept or you personally look for before issuing a ticket. No need to put your area unless you want to.

Around here the state troopers say they do not write for less than 9, the county writes for over 12, and the city writes for 14 or over but is in the process of reducing the speed to 9 over.

What's your number?

(I know there are lots of variables involved including the speed limit to start with, etc...put in as much info as you wish)

How about the other side...how fast were you going (and the officer knew the truth) and he or she still allowed you to leave without issuing you a ticket?

I've heard stories about what you got the ticket for, but how about when you did not get a ticket?

BE NICE!!!

I guess the obvious other question is do you cut more slack to speeding bikes over speeding cars on the freeway?

By far my biggest break was when I stopped for a Graham County, NC deputy after passing him at 120 in a 50.

The car was a slick top with a bright orange University of Tennessee tag on the front, so I really didn't think it was a cop until we passed and I saw the graphics down the side of the car.

By the time he turned around and got back to me, I already had my license, insurance, registration, and carry permit ready for him. He was laughing a little when he got out of the car. I guess he didn't expect to see me again. I got a written warning and a "Thanks for stopping."

To your first question, as of a few years ago, Chattanooga city cops wouldn't write for less than 11 over.

I got popped doing 48 in a residential 25 zone and got off with a verbal warning; I couldn’t believe it. I was a teenager who had several unpaid speeding tickets on my record and was doing almost double the speed limit. At the time I was working 3 jobs…I had a 40hr a week gig as a mechanic apprentice at Koon’s Ford in Annapolis, oil change tech at Jiffy Lube, and delivered pizza for Papa John’s. This all happened on a Saturday where I started off working on my older brothers car because he was moving across country the next day, then I went to work at Jiffy Lube until 5…came home showered and changed so I could deliver some pies.

Well….somewhere during all that changing of clothes I forgot to grab my wallet. So here I am multiple points/unpaid speeding tickets, no drivers license with me, 19 years old, and doing double the speed limit. I explained it all to the officer (while passing the attitude test) and asked him if I could at least walk the 3 doors down the street to deliver the pizza while it was still hot so I could get a tip to contribute to the ticket he was about to write me. He took pity on me and told me to get out of there and slow down…that he hated cold pizza and didn’t want to be the cause of someone getting a cold pie. He was super cool about it.

I was out riding in the middle of nowhere going roughly 165 and boom a cop. I saw him bust a uturn and lights came on... I pulled over and thankfully he only gave me a ticket for 100 in a 65. Thank The Lord out here in New Mexico on roads out in the middle of nowhere it's just a monetary fine for speeding and I only had to pay 200 bucks and got no points on the license.

In one job I was asked not to right tickets , Sheriffs Office, the Sheriff is elected :laugh: In two others I was asked to give 15 over. In the present one I haven't been given any direction. I don't typically mess with less than 12, SCHP in this area 9. SC is an absolute state. If you're doing 36 / 35 your speeding.

many many years ago a buddy and I set off from Raleigh to Myrtle Beach one evening because "there wasn't anything else going on". Foolish reason with even less preparation (no rooms reserved, no clue why we were going,etc). We agreed that we would keep the speeds at a decent rate because we wanted to avoid any LEO involvement. Started well enough until the long straight on I40 before I95. The guy took off and of course I rolled into mine pretty hard. I had a gsxr1100 at the time, more setup for drag racing than touring so I was well north of the speed limit. I lost sight of my buddy but did notice something on the other side of the road, then looked back a few seconds later and noticed instead of twinkling red lights of a car going the other way, I saw twinkling white lights heading my way. I rolled off the throttle and noticed that the lights were actually blue & white. I decided that I was getting pulled might as well stop, next thing I know the cop blows past me and sees the same thing I did, dark highway. A few seconds later he slows and pulls behind me to pull me over. I was polite, handed him my license, registration, took my helmet off, key out of the ignition, etc. He starts with "do you know why I pulled you over?" I said, no sir but I suspect you were chasing that damn fool that passed me like a bat out of hell. He said where are you heading. I said Myrtle Beach. I got a long hard stare from him and he hands me back my papers and says "dont let those morons down there give you a hard time with that yellow headlight (had one white/one yellow) and have a good night. I thought I was going to jail :laugh:

Otherwise I've been pretty luck on the busa. I was pulled a few times by local leo's who apparently were looking for someone specific. As soon as my gloves came off and visor went up, they said "nope, you aren't who we are looking for, sorry for the trouble" I'd assume they weren't looking for a white guy because at the point they said basically "nope not you" that's all they could tell. Guess profiling is alive and well out here on the island

depends on the area. we have areas that the speed limit is 25 mph but 95% go 50 mph or better in some of those areas cause its like a dam highway. well, it is a highway just not a limited access highway.

id say for the most part 15-20 mph in most areas is what I feel is reasonable but some areas I give 25 mph or better. in school zones probably no more then 10 mph depending on the time of day.

the way I see it is when the speed limits were designed decades ago cars could not stop as fast, accelerate as fast, were heavier, didn't steer as well, tires were not nearly as advanced as they are today, suspension and therefore stoping power is better today, no ABS back then, had poor lighting, few crosswalks with signals, no LED or newer style brake lights, had poor crumple zone frames, no air bags, poorly designed seat belts, roads were not designed as well and the glass was not as forgiving as it is today.

so to think a speed of 25 mph in 1950 is equivalent to 2013 is not reasonable imo but the city, town or state will rarely raise the speed limit.

raising of the speed limit has never been proven to cause MORE accidents. it has in some areas shown to produce more severe accidents tho.

In one job I was asked not to right tickets , Sheriffs Office, the Sheriff is elected :laugh: In two others I was asked to give 15 over. In the present one I haven't been given any direction. I don't typically mess with less than 12, SCHP in this area 9. SC is an absolute state. If you're doing 36 / 35 your speeding.

Guess where Im never going? :laugh:

My best let go was 110 in a 55 last summer, 2am on a sunday night/monday morning. I was polite, told the truth, got me a stern talking to and was sent on my way. Ive found that personally, I tend to be more law abiding after a police encounter whether I was given a ticket or not.

SC is an absolute state. If you're doing 36 / 35 your speeding.
that goes for any state. anytime ur traveling above the posted speed limit you are either speeding or traveling fast depending on what ur state qualifies as speeding.

some sates have a lesser charge then speeding and therefore less points or maybe even no points on ones license. but if the speed limit is 15 mph and someone is traveling 16 mph they can surely be stopped and cited.

here's one for the LEOs. I had this discussion with a local LEO once, his answer led me to believe that its at the officers discretion, which honestly doesn't fly for me because who's to say its enforced even close to the same way by anyone.

At what point is the posted speed limit in force. A) when you can see the sign clearly or B )the point at which it is posted physically until another sign supersedes it.

I know VA has a law about posting speed limit signs within X feet of a major intersection so that the public should be aware of the posted speed. NY and others post a state speed limit that is supposed to be the legal limit when no speed limit sign is posted. In Europe they will tell you in Germany that the speed limit is from the physical point of the sign/screen posting it until notified of a change. In some cities that can be every few miles or within a mile.

here's one for the LEOs. I had this discussion with a local LEO once, his answer led me to believe that its at the officers discretion, which honestly doesn't fly for me because who's to say its enforced even close to the same way by anyone.

At what point is the posted speed limit in force. A) when you can see the sign clearly or B )the point at which it is posted physically until another sign supersedes it.

I know VA has a law about posting speed limit signs within X feet of a major intersection so that the public should be aware of the posted speed. NY and others post a state speed limit that is supposed to be the legal limit when no speed limit sign is posted. In Europe they will tell you in Germany that the speed limit is from the physical point of the sign/screen posting it until notified of a change. In some cities that can be every few miles or within a mile.
u bring up some vadid points. but, to think there is going to be a speed limit posted on every single road u ride on it not reasonable.

on a limit access highway (highway as most ppl know it) I see no reason why we cant adhere to how Europe does it but to think on the thousands of streets that may exist in a large city to see a speed limit on every single one you turn down isnt gonna happen which is why is most areas the speed limit is 25 mph unless otherwise posted.

and yes it is the officers descretion. the only time he does not have descretion is felonies and domestic violence where you are mandated by state statute stating you "Shall" arrest. anything else including all other misd or infractions (fines) the officer has absolute descretion to either issue you a verbal, written warning or a ticket or even make an arrest if the speeds equate to reckless operation and ur state defines that as a misd.

many many years ago a buddy and I set off from Raleigh to Myrtle Beach one evening because "there wasn't anything else going on". Foolish reason with even less preparation (no rooms reserved, no clue why we were going,etc). We agreed that we would keep the speeds at a decent rate because we wanted to avoid any LEO involvement. Started well enough until the long straight on I40 before I95. The guy took off and of course I rolled into mine pretty hard. I had a gsxr1100 at the time, more setup for drag racing than touring so I was well north of the speed limit. I lost sight of my buddy but did notice something on the other side of the road, then looked back a few seconds later and noticed instead of twinkling red lights of a car going the other way, I saw twinkling white lights heading my way. I rolled off the throttle and noticed that the lights were actually blue & white. I decided that I was getting pulled might as well stop, next thing I know the cop blows past me and sees the same thing I did, dark highway. A few seconds later he slows and pulls behind me to pull me over. I was polite, handed him my license, registration, took my helmet off, key out of the ignition, etc. He starts with "do you know why I pulled you over?" I said, no sir but I suspect you were chasing that damn fool that passed me like a bat out of hell. He said where are you heading. I said Myrtle Beach. I got a long hard stare from him and he hands me back my papers and says "dont let those morons down there give you a hard time with that yellow headlight (had one white/one yellow) and have a good night. I thought I was going to jail :laugh:

Otherwise I've been pretty luck on the busa. I was pulled a few times by local leo's who apparently were looking for someone specific. As soon as my gloves came off and visor went up, they said "nope, you aren't who we are looking for, sorry for the trouble" I'd assume they weren't looking for a white guy because at the point they said basically "nope not you" that's all they could tell. Guess profiling is alive and well out here on the island

What does " profiling " mean to you sir

Didn't read your entire post, but I had one jurisdiction that asked me to give people 100' . Every judge I've ever come before will state there is an imaginary line that runs across the highway from the sign. Nothing to do with I can see the sign or any imaginary distance prior to or after that sign. The law simply states posted.

I personally don't play close to signs. I hear enough crap as it is. :laugh:

u bring up some vadid points. but, to think there is going to be a speed limit posted on every single road u ride on it not reasonable.

on a limit access highway (highway as most ppl know it) I see no reason why we cant adhere to how Europe does it but to think on the thousands of streets that may exist in a large city to see a speed limit on every single one you turn down isnt gonna happen which is why is most areas the speed limit is 25 mph unless otherwise posted.

and yes it is the officers descretion. the only time he does not have descretion is felonies and domestic violence where you are mandated by state statute stating you "Shall" arrest. anything else including all other misd or infractions (fines) the officer has absolute descretion to either issue you a verbal, written warning or a ticket or even make an arrest if the speeds equate to reckless operation and ur state defines that as a misd.

I'm not suggesting that other states post signage at every turn, that's just what VA has for their major roadways and as noted most states post a "state speed limit" for unmarked areas. The question really is at what point is the speed limit actually legally in effect. For example, on one of the roads here, it changes from 20-55mph within 20miles a number of times. One place the LEOs like to camp out is near a beach where for about 3/4mi the speed limit drops to 40mph from 50mph. They sit where they can see the 40mph sign and ahead of it. I have seen folks pulled going around 55mph while in the 50 zone as they approached the 40mph sign. At some point that cannot be solely the officers discretion, there has to be a point at which the sign is enforced universally. The few I have seen pulled were definitely still east of the physical 40mph sign but within view of it and the officer started pulled them just past the 40mph sign. This is just across the water from you in Long Island so what is the legal official point at which a sign is in effect in CT?

What does " profiling " mean to you sir

eh, in that case they were "profiling" me as a white guy and had perhaps been looking for someone with a different skin tone. They took no effort to identify me, have me remove my helmet, check my docs, etc.

Didn't read your entire post, but I had one jurisdiction that asked me to give people 100' . Every judge I've ever come before will state there is an imaginary line that runs across the highway from the sign. Nothing to do with I can see the sign or any imaginary distance prior to or after that sign. The law simply states posted.

I personally don't play close to signs. I hear enough crap as it is. :laugh:

exactly, thats what I'm trying to figure out. Am I in violation at the physical point of the sign or within some visible distance from it. And yeah, playing close to the signs probably doesnt decrease the level and amount of crap you hear :laugh:

exactly, thats what I'm trying to figure out. Am I in violation at the physical point of the sign or within some visible distance from it. And yeah, playing close to the signs probably doesnt decrease the level and amount of crap you hear :laugh:

You just want em to pepper spray you for back talkin when you get pulled over, dont ya? :laugh:

"you think you're funny, *shake shake, SPPPRRAAAYYYYY!!"

Back