Carrying a handgun during Myrtle Beach Bike Week

Big Moe

Registered
Has anyone here carried concealed or not during Bike Week at Myrtle? Any info on this is greatly appreciated!

SC has some funky gun laws, google it and see. I used to travel through SC and Ga and I know you were supposed to unload the magazine and have it somewhere else from the gun, but that's been a while. I never did and I got pulled in SC and told him the only gun I had was in trunk, but I had another in the console...lol

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.........my $0.02

Don't do it if you can't do it legally. Too easy for the police to spot you printing...given the current politics, you could end up with a FELONY CONVICTION and it's not worth it...

always research the laws of the state. if traveling through the federal laws of transfer apply. if you have license. see if reciprocity. and then still confirm the laws.

Not sure about reciprocity. These laws get changed all the time. As far as transporting a weapon you can surf the web. The basic rule in SC is the glovebox or center console. I'll go pull the law so you can read it.

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions. [SC ST SEC 16-23-20]

It is unlawful for anyone to carryNext about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

(1) regular, salaried law enforcement officers, and reserve police officers of a state agency, municipality, or county of the State, uncompensated Governor's constables, law enforcement officers of the federal government or other states when they are carrying out official duties while in this State, deputy enforcement officers of the Natural Resources Enforcement Division of the Department of Natural Resources, and retired commissioned law enforcement officers employed as private detectives or private investigators;

(2) members of the Armed Forces of the United States, the National Guard, organized reserves, or the State Militia when on duty;

(3) members, or their invited guests, of organizations authorized by law to purchase or receive firearms from the United States or this State or regularly enrolled members, or their invited guests, of clubs organized for the purpose of target shooting or collecting modern and antique firearms while these members, or their invited guests, are at or going to or from their places of target practice or their shows and exhibits;

(4) licensed hunters or fishermen who are engaged in hunting or fishing or going to or from their places of hunting or fishing while in a vehicle or on foot;

(5) a person regularly engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, repossessing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of this person, while possessing, using, or carrying a handgun in the usual or ordinary course of the business;

(6) guards authorized by law to possess handguns and engaged in protection of property of the United States or any agency of the United States;

(7) members of authorized military or civil organizations while parading or when going to and from the places of meeting of their respective organizations;

(8) a person in his home or upon his real property or a person who has the permission of the owner or the person in legal possession or the person in legal control of the home or real property;

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is:

(a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance; or

(b) concealed on or about his person, and he has a valid concealed weapons permit pursuant to the provisions of Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23;

(10) a person carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or fixed place of business or while in the process of changing or moving one's residence or changing or moving one's fixed place of business;

(11) a prison guard while engaged in his official duties;

(12) a person who is granted a permit under provision of law by the State Law Enforcement Division to PreviouscarryNext a handgun about his person, under conditions set forth in the permit, and while transferring the handgun between the permittee's person and a location specified in item (9);

(13) the owner or the person in legal possession or the person in legal control of a fixed place of business, while at the fixed place of business, and the employee of a fixed place of business, other than a business subject to Section 16-23-465, while at the place of business; however, the employee may exercise this privilege only after: (a) acquiring a permit pursuant to item (12), and (b) obtaining the permission of the owner or person in legal control or legal possession of the premises;

(14) a person engaged in firearms-related activities while on the premises of a fixed place of business which conducts, as a regular course of its business, activities related to sale, repair, pawn, firearms training, or use of firearms, unless the premises is posted with a sign limiting possession of firearms to holders of permits issued pursuant to item (12);

(15) a person while transferring a handgun directly from or to a vehicle and a location specified in this section where one may legally possess the handgun.

(16) Any person on a motorcycle when the pistol is secured in a closed saddlebag or other similar closed accessory container attached, whether permanently or temporarily, to the motorcycle.

#16 would appear to mean carrying in a zippered tankbag would be legal....

Yes, but here's the thing. Unless I'm really screwing up or reeking of dope nobody is going through your stuff.

You better know the law, you better be within the law, and you better be polite and honest. Myrtle Beach Police don't play, and during the bike weeks you have officers from all over the state and SLED Agents everywhere.

Yes, but here's the thing. Unless I'm really screwing up or reeking of dope nobody is going through your stuff.
and dont fall for the most over looked exception to the search warrant requirement being CONSENT. yes, a MC is mobile and is therefore considered an exception to the search warrant requirement but not in all cases. consent to nothing but be polite about it. they may bring a drug dog over but a drug dog wont alert on a gun unless there is residue on it.

#16 would appear to mean carrying in a zippered tankbag would be legal....
yea, I would agree. it certainly appears to be quite unspecific. a closed accessory container could certainly be a zippered tankbag.

I would do a little more research and maybe speak with someone in that area tho. YOUR or MY interpretation of that law may not be what the the cops feel down there and there could local case law down there that might agree or refute that possibility.

I am not sure how accurate or old this is but it is a place to start researching Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry

click on the state you live in. Guess you would need to research there gunlaws of the states you are going to be going through anyway. I think in FL it's illegal to carry at a special event, maybe the myrtle beach event would be someplace you can't carry :dunno:

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions. [SC ST SEC 16-23-20]

It is unlawful for anyone to carryNext about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

(1) regular, salaried law enforcement officers, and reserve police officers of a state agency, municipality, or county of the State, uncompensated Governor's constables, law enforcement officers of the federal government or other states when they are carrying out official duties while in this State, deputy enforcement officers of the Natural Resources Enforcement Division of the Department of Natural Resources, and retired commissioned law enforcement officers employed as private detectives or private investigators;

(2) members of the Armed Forces of the United States, the National Guard, organized reserves, or the State Militia when on duty;

(3) members, or their invited guests, of organizations authorized by law to purchase or receive firearms from the United States or this State or regularly enrolled members, or their invited guests, of clubs organized for the purpose of target shooting or collecting modern and antique firearms while these members, or their invited guests, are at or going to or from their places of target practice or their shows and exhibits;

(4) licensed hunters or fishermen who are engaged in hunting or fishing or going to or from their places of hunting or fishing while in a vehicle or on foot;

(5) a person regularly engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, repossessing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of this person, while possessing, using, or carrying a handgun in the usual or ordinary course of the business;

(6) guards authorized by law to possess handguns and engaged in protection of property of the United States or any agency of the United States;

(7) members of authorized military or civil organizations while parading or when going to and from the places of meeting of their respective organizations;

(8) a person in his home or upon his real property or a person who has the permission of the owner or the person in legal possession or the person in legal control of the home or real property;

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is:

(a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance; or

(b) concealed on or about his person, and he has a valid concealed weapons permit pursuant to the provisions of Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23;

(10) a person carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or fixed place of business or while in the process of changing or moving one's residence or changing or moving one's fixed place of business;

(11) a prison guard while engaged in his official duties;

(12) a person who is granted a permit under provision of law by the State Law Enforcement Division to PreviouscarryNext a handgun about his person, under conditions set forth in the permit, and while transferring the handgun between the permittee's person and a location specified in item (9);

(13) the owner or the person in legal possession or the person in legal control of a fixed place of business, while at the fixed place of business, and the employee of a fixed place of business, other than a business subject to Section 16-23-465, while at the place of business; however, the employee may exercise this privilege only after: (a) acquiring a permit pursuant to item (12), and (b) obtaining the permission of the owner or person in legal control or legal possession of the premises;

(14) a person engaged in firearms-related activities while on the premises of a fixed place of business which conducts, as a regular course of its business, activities related to sale, repair, pawn, firearms training, or use of firearms, unless the premises is posted with a sign limiting possession of firearms to holders of permits issued pursuant to item (12);

(15) a person while transferring a handgun directly from or to a vehicle and a location specified in this section where one may legally possess the handgun.

(16) Any person on a motorcycle when the pistol is secured in a closed saddlebag or other similar closed accessory container attached, whether permanently or temporarily, to the motorcycle.

Oh my word... A non smily post from the king of emoticon posts.. Mark this day folks... :laugh:

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Oh my word... A non smily post from the king of emoticon posts.. Mark this day folks... :laugh:

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...
Someone blocked emoticons for me. I'm special I know. Unfortunately they need to bang out some more code because I actually know the codes to most of the ones I use :laugh:

From the website posted it seems like your Georgia permit doesn't carry you in SC, but apparently you can get a non resident permit. If you'd like I'll check into it for you, just let me know. :poke:

Back