Computer geeks: Force Master Browser selection Win7?

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
How do I force a WIN7 machine in a workgroup to be the Master Browser? I can find all kinds of info on how to do it in the XP registry but not WIN7.

What happens is, I have one WIN7 machine that is normally on all the time, and that one is my preferred MB. However, in a power outage, sometimes it goes to my Shared storage device that can't handle the duties well. The only other option I have is to turn everything off, and back on in sequence so it elects appropriately...

I'd like to set my WIN7 machine to be given priority when an election occurs...

Have you considered setting up an Active Directory instance?

It might be worth the trouble if you are dealing with more than 10 devices. I think I have about 60 on a stand-alone domain. Mainly laboratory equipment but eventually everything that we don’t have on or standard domain. It have solved many issues.

I don't know where to lead you in the workgroup mode as I haven't messed with that since the Win 95/98 days.

The only way I know of to prevent a particular computer from becoming the Master Browser is to set MaintainServerList to No . Hope this helps.

The only way I know of to prevent a particular computer from becoming the Master Browser is to set MaintainServerList to No . Hope this helps.

Yeah, that's all I can find too. The only other option I know of is to shut down everything and restart in sequence machine I want to be MB first...then it will hold until a power outage.

Professor, one of these days I will, but I have to fully build out our network first.

SO did you set all other systems to no on MaintainServerList?
Yeah, that's all I can find too. The only other option I know of is to shut down everything and restart in sequence machine I want to be MB first...then it will hold until a power outage.

Professor, one of these days I will, but I have to fully build out our network first.

Stop (and disable) the 'Computer Browser' service on all the other machines except the Win 7 box.

SO did you set all other systems to no on MaintainServerList?

Stop (and disable) the 'Computer Browser' service on all the other machines except the Win 7 box.

I would have to remotely edit each systems registry which would take awhile.

Last night when everyone was gone I shut the system down and restarted in sequence, and the machine I want is the master again (I found a cool little tool someone wrote that quieries the entire system to tell me who the master is). This machine rarely gets turned off (updates or a power outage longer than my UPS can handle it about an hour) so it should remain Master I just have to remember to check it every once in awhile.

Still having issues with my NT box but it IS now seeing the remaining network.

Back