Please help!! Busa Clutch slipping when warmed up!!!! Help!!!

jurae

Registered
My problem is with a gen 1 (06) clutch slippage. Originally started out thinking plates were worn, so I replaced them with heavy duty clutches and 3/3 springs (3 new oem springs and 3 40lb springs). Took out for test ride and all seemed fine at first and then I guess it got warmed up to a good temp and she started the same thing again. Under advisement of a friend I changed the slave, clutch line and master cylinder. However, at Daytona bike week (I should have done a longer test dive before I left but I didn’t) it did it again. First I can go up thru the gears easy it'll seem to be ok, but if you go to give it any throttle with she has warmed up she will just spin up the rpm's and it acts just like your spinning the rear tire trying to get the power to the road which it evidentially isn't that. Even if you roll on it more gradual it will still slip in the higher gears but it later went to the lower gears also. So, I allowed the bike to sit for a couple of hours while I enjoyed bike week.. SHE DID GET ME BACK TO THE HOTEL AFTER A COUPLE OF HOURS SITTING it seemed to take a little longer this time but it was very cold driving back. I hauled her back to south florida and she is back to the same scenario. I AM WONDER IF IT IS THE CLUTCH LEVER PIN or the chinese made lever causing this since I changed the clutches, clutch line, slave and master clutch cylinder.

I'm scratching my head dumbfounded here. I know there has to be someone else on here that has experienced this problem and has to know what is going on here. Drive great when cold but once it warm up the gear just fire up the rpm before it catches? It did this firt when I had Mobil 1 in her then I changed to Castrol with the new clutches but still the same thing!!! AHHHHHHHHH Help!

Is the engine losing power when it gets hot? Does it sound strong or start to break up?

The first thing I think of is: what kind of oil are you running?

Not brand, but type. If it is not a motorcycle -specific oil, there is a good chance that is what is causing your problem..
I had a similar problem when I first got into motorcycling. I put a cartwheel into the crankcase of the motorcycle. There are certain additives that are not compatible with our wet clutches.

He might try getting a motorcycle oil specific for motorcycles. Try That. If not, try taking a good look at your hub and basket and see if there are any nothches that could cause the plates to hang up on them

Is the clutch lever disengaging fully? What changed before the clutch start slipping? Did you change oil type before going to Daytona? What do you fibers measure out at?

Buy oem fibers and steels with a good brand of motorcycle oil. check back

Is the clutch lever disengaging fully? What changed before the clutch start slipping? Did you change oil type before going to Daytona? What do you fibers measure out at?

Buy oem fibers and steels with a good brand of motorcycle oil. check back

It started when i was using Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 Oil then I changed the whole clutch system when the problem started and used Castrol Power RS Racing 4T with Trizone Technology but the problem continues, However I never had any problems before using these oils. The only thing I can think of are the china made levers...So, I just ordered a hopefully american made chrome levers from the local bike shop since I sold my old ones that worked well. I took it to broward motorsports in west palm beach when the problem first started and their techs truly suck.

cheap levers could be the issue. If the dimensions are wrong, it could be putting pressure on the slave cylinder.
i agree with that,if thats not the case then possibly stack height of clutches isnt tall enough.
Pull the clutch cover and take a pic of the basket and post it so we can see where the pressure plate is sitting in the basket.
PUT A STOCK LEVER ON IT FOR THE HECK OF IT AND TEST AGAIN.

i agree with that,if thats not the case then possibly stack height of clutches isnt tall enough.
Pull the clutch cover and take a pic of the basket and post it so we can see where the pressure plate is sitting in the basket.
PUT A STOCK LEVER ON IT FOR THE HECK OF IT AND TEST AGAIN.

I found a old stock lever for the clutch. Well try it today and post the outcome later.

I had a friend who purchased cheapie levers and had an intermittent problem with the front brake not releasing.

THese were not the Chazzo cheapie levers, these were some carbonfiber look-alikes that came from God knows where

But the oem that I had in for 6years was doing the same thing! if the lever dont work then i will order the oem clutches!

But the oem that I had in for 6years was doing the same thing! if the lever dont work then i will order the oem clutches!

after being in there for 6 years they were worn, clutches dont last forever. 95% of after market clutch suck. Go back to OEM and check your stack heigth. You can try removing one thin plate and replace it with a thicker one also.

When I first got my Busa, I had a similar experience. The problem started suddenly. After the bike was warm, the clutch would slip. When it cooled off, it was fine until the bike warmed up again. Fortunately, it was still under warranty from the shop where I bought it. Turns out it was the Master Cylinder. After the Master Cyclinder was replaced, I haven't had any issues since.

I think you mentioned that the master cyclinder was replaced. So I'm betting on the Chinese lever not being installed properly or just fitting correctly and putting a slight bit of pressure on the master cylinder that starts causing a problem when the clutch warms up.

I want to thank all who sent their advice and especially Doug from charlotte and SoCal... yeah cal I did change the cylinder but I put the chinese levers back on and for some reason my 2nd master clutch cylinder went bad also. I replace it with another one and with oem and now everything is rolling nicely. Didn't know bad chinese made levers can cause the pin unit in the cylinder to go bad and cause so many problems, I guess it is a domino effect. Once again thanks to all in the busa family for your help! Now on to Leesburg!!!

Back