Hayabusa vs. SV650

pack mule

formerly known as rtgt
Registered
This is my opinion on how my son's SV matches up to my hayabusa. I've been riding his about once a week for the past month so he doesn't need to winterize it.

ride quality
The hayabusa is a Lexus compared to the SV. So much smoother on all roads. I've done 600 mile days on the hayabusa, I don't know that I could do that on his bike.

rider position
You sit in the hayabusa, you sit on top of the SV. I have helibars on my bike vs. stock on his so there is alot less pressure on my wrist.

wind protection
This was a surprise to me. SV hands down. I rode both to work on upper 20 degree days and the SV kept the wind off of my up body much better. On the hayabusa the wind hits me on my upper chest( double bubble screen ), SV the wind hits me near the top of my helmet( stock screen ). I'm wearing a perforated leather jacket with a liner, so the wind hitting me in the chest isn't ideal.

power
I'm not even going to bother with this one other than saying the SV will do the ton with no problem.

handling
I feel like a pro on the SV once I get to a twisty road. I can carry sooooo much more speed with soooo much less drama with it. You think about turning on it and it's already happened. Now I know why a couple of guys I ride with on these bikes spank me running up 226a( very twisty road aka dragon type ). You can get back on the gas sooner and go into a curve farther on the SV.

I will never get rid of my hayabusa BUT if he decides to sell his, I'll have me another bike quick. And he is considering selling. No one can have too many bikes, right.

01.jpg

001.jpg

Yup...... At the track, a good rider on an SV will just whip right around me through a turn.... Obviously i pass him right back on the straight away but the corner speed is amazing :thumbsup:

The suspension on a stock SV650 is pretty poor. Most guys who are serious about the SV upgrades the forks and shock. One of my close friends has been racing the SV650 for years and I know he upgrades the forks with gixxer forks and I believe the rear shock is from a gixxer as well. The SV may be the very best track bike to learn on you can buy. The 70 HP is so very forgiving and the corner speeds with a quality rider is amazing. Riders develop so much faster on the SV650 than they do on true sport bikes. SV650 is a GREAT bike!

The suspension on a stock SV650 is pretty poor. Most guys who are serious about the SV upgrades the forks and shock. One of my close friends has been racing the SV650 for years and I know he upgrades the forks with gixxer forks and I believe the rear shock is from a gixxer as well. The SV may be the very best track bike to learn on you can buy. The 70 HP is so very forgiving and the corner speeds with a quality rider is amazing. Riders develop so much faster on the SV650 than they do on true sport bikes. SV650 is a GREAT bike!

I've been reading over on svrider for some time now. The gsxr forks with the rear shock is a cheap upgrade. Plus the radial mount brakes too. If I end up with it, that will be the first thing I do.:thumbsup:

Well if you want curves I think the gsxr 600 would be good and has more power then the 650 so what's so great about the sv's? I have seen alot of people on the track with them

Well if you want curves I think the gsxr 600 would be good and has more power then the 650 so what's so great about the sv's? I have seen alot of people on the track with them

I think the reason is for the less experienced track or canyon rider, the SV650 has a more managable power band while still being nimble and therefore more forgiving. If you are more experienced and can take advantage of the Gixxer's power, then by all means, the Gixxer is the better choice.

The SV650 is a great bike to hone ones cornering skills to a fine art. The SV is also the least expensive of all the formidable track weapons. For the guy on a limited budget the SV650 is far less expensive to operate than big HP bikes. It's easy on gas, tires and the body. With a top speed of 130 mph it's much less intimidating to riders when it comes to burning off speed and learning how to set corner speed.

If you only own one bike for both track and street, I'd suggest a bike with more HP, especially if you are a big guy. To accommodate the garage with a second bike, the SV650 is not a bad choice. Neither is the SV1000. I know a number of guys who love their SV1000 for both track and street.

One negative to the SV650, the radiator is vulnerable during a crash. It pokes out on both sides of the frame and often gets damaged during a getoff.

OK thanks guys for explaining everything. Now I saw that the sv has alot smaller rear tire than a 600, so how much would that affect lean angle and corner speed? I also saw it weighs a whole whopping 357lbs dry

OK thanks guys for explaining everything. Now I saw that the sv has alot smaller rear tire than a 600, so how much would that affect lean angle and corner speed? I also saw it weighs a whole whopping 357lbs dry

The smaller tire will give more lean angle and quicker tip in but less traction for corner drive. With 70 HP you shouldn't be concerned with corner drive traction.

Pack mule: is there much (if any) difference in leg room from sv to 'busa?

I'm 6'3" with very long legs, 36 inseam. My seat has been cut on the hayabusa so more room on the SV. Stock, I'm just guessing, would be close to the same. The SV is so much more narrow than the hayabusa, more dirt bike to me.

Why would you want the sv650 over say a gsxr 600?

I'll probably be able to buy this off of him for about $2500 if he decides to sell. He locked up the front wheel when someone pulled out in front of him and went down. The front fairing is crack but it doesn't bother me because I know what happened. That is why he will not be able to get much out of it. It's an 07, I think, and that's about what he owes on it. I couldn't find a bike that nice for that kind of price.

I'll probably be able to buy this off of him for about $2500 if he decides to sell. He locked up the front wheel when someone pulled out in front of him and went down. The front fairing is crack but it doesn't bother me because I know what happened. That is why he will not be able to get much out of it. It's an 07, I think, and that's about what he owes on it. I couldn't find a bike that nice for that kind of price.

Talk him down, not bein welcome at home is a good bargaining chip :laugh:

Well coming from a guy who has owned both bikes......i will never part wth my busa but the sv was a blast! not much power but plenty of torque......the biggest thing is it is considered a touring bike to most insurance companies. That combined with the cheap price of the bike itself is a def plus......

Back