Interstate riding scary

Jrod86

Registered
Ok so its 1 a.m. and I find myself sitting here thinking. . Today I was riding home on the Interstate, which I usually dont do. I take more back roads and scenic routes. Anyways I was comming home and I notice every time im riding on the Interstate my bike always feels. . . well unstable (my GSXR 600 was the same). Maybe unstable isn't the best word, but it feels as though the bike is wobbly or moving back and forth. I know its probly cross winds and stuff, but that doesnt help matters at all? anyone else ever experience this or is it just me. What are some things I can do to make the ride seem better? Just more seat time on the road or what? It almost makes me laugh cause I feel like a squid asking this question :lol:

OK could be the road. I have one by my house that looks fine but it makes the bike go back and forth like the road has small waves in it. Can't feel it in a car but any bike I have taken down it feels the same way.

I found that on my first time on the motorway, I seemed to be fighting the cross winds a lot, but as I've got more used to the wind it seems easier to control the bike, don't seem to have to man handle it about so much.

And when I first started riding it I thought it was a bit wobbly, depending on the road surface.
Now It doesn't bother me so much, I think it was just a matter getting used to the bike.

check your tire pressure is the first thing I would do. Just a slightly different tire pressure can make a world of difference on a ride. You may want to add or subtract 1 to 2 psi from your tires, and see if that helps.

The roads can definitely feel "inconsistent" when you are riding on the highway. You are riding single track, cars ride double track. The "road" is basically flat pavement, with minor ditches worn into it. As you move from left to right in your lane, you're going to go up and down.

I assume you are wearing gloves, but relax your grip a bit. You're not in "parade formation", so it's ok if you have to slide around a bit in your lane. If the wind / road make you drift 6 inches to the left / right, that's ok! You're not going to track in a perfect straight line, when driving at 80mph on a highway. Trying to will cause fatigue

I dont feel unstable at all. The Busa is the most stable motorcycle I have ridden on the interstate.. Maybe your tires are worn or possibly not one of the best tires on the market :dunno:

Ok so its 1 a.m. and I find myself sitting here thinking. . Today I was riding home on the Interstate, which I usually dont do. I take more back roads and scenic routes. Anyways I was comming home and I notice every time im riding on the Interstate my bike always feels. . . well unstable (my GSXR 600 was the same). Maybe unstable isn't the best word, but it feels as though the bike is wobbly or moving back and forth. I know its probly cross winds and stuff, but that doesnt help matters at all? anyone else ever experience this or is it just me. What are some things I can do to make the ride seem better? Just more seat time on the road or what? It almost makes me laugh cause I feel like a squid asking this question :lol:

You wouldn't happen to be speaking of 65 now would you? I rode that highway daily for 2 years. There are some parts that are just terrible...Entering the Homewood area, entering B'ham proper and most of the way through out towards the airport...blah blah blah. Concrete slab technology for roads stinks.
More time, suspension set-up, tire pressure, carrying stuff, wind, all good points to consider.

If your riding to close behind a 18 wheeler you will get into bad wind turbulance makes the bike wiggle around

relax...the tighter you are, the more it affects your bike...if you are loose, the bike is able to move in response to winds, road conditions, etc. and will actually run straighter :beerchug:

More than likely just pavement irregularities. After time and enough large trucks, lines, grooves, dips and squiggles wear into the pavement. If you are a somewhat new rider, it takes some time to get used to the bike moving around under you. Make sure your tire pressures are correct, and as Semi said, ride loose.:thumbsup:

My first trip on an interstate was scarey. I still ride on the interstate but I have learned to relax. Concrete roads have the machined grooves in them. Black top is for the most part smoother.

Get more saddle time on the freeway. Don`t hold on tight. Stay out of groups with larger vehicles. Travel at your pace. Relax.

relax...the tighter you are, the more it affects your bike...if you are loose, the bike is able to move in response to winds, road conditions, etc. and will actually run straighter :beerchug:

This. You just need to relax.

Many of our freeways have rain groves. Those groves and wear from years of cars and trucks make for some very unstable feeling riding. In fact, the bike is very stable and even as the front tire tends to "float" over the bumpy rain groves, the bike itself is solid. If you've never experienced that before you will have a tendency to tense up which will make things feel a bit unstable. Eventually you will get used to those tough sections of road and you won't notice it as much. As Lankee mentioned, the Busa has to be one of the most stable bikes on the road.

Make sure your tires are in good condition and at the proper pressure and that the suspension is properly set.

Either grooves in the surface, or you are drafting other vehicles too close. There's a lot more air being moved around on the interstate than on a regular highway due to the traffic...

yep, wind and the fact that ur not use to riding on the highway is making u grip harder which feels much different then being on back roads. tire pressure shud also b checked but the highway is much more windy when trees are not around to break it up.

You wouldn't happen to be speaking of 65 now would you? I rode that highway daily for 2 years. There are some parts that are just terrible...Entering the Homewood area, entering B'ham proper and most of the way through out towards the airport...blah blah blah. Concrete slab technology for roads stinks.
More time, suspension set-up, tire pressure, carrying stuff, wind, all good points to consider.

Haha Thats exactly where im talking about lol. I65 Usually between Alabaster and Oxmoor road really. But yes its I65 im talking about. Just weird feeling like im drifting back and forth without even moving. Just doesnt feel natural i guess. Also Im riding a set of Dunlop Sportmax Q2. I used to run PP 2 CTs on my 600. Whats the best tire to use on the huge machines. I know opinions get crazy here, so maybe thats another topic about tires. anyhoo my tire pressure is between 38-40 rear and 36-38 front. Haven't had the suspension set with me on the bike or anything yet either

Grooved pavement in the '70's on my little 650 was rough, but I haven't felt that on the Busa, absolutely closing in on an 18 wheeler well be rough ........ for a second, yes I ride a blk busa :laugh:

I find highways unenjoyable when others are around. in traffic I tend to stay to the right. In case i have a problem I can get to the shoulder or exit easy. Also everyone around here on highways drive like jackasses.

Haha Thats exactly where im talking about lol. I65 Usually between Alabaster and Oxmoor road really. But yes its I65 im talking about. Just weird feeling like im drifting back and forth without even moving. Just doesnt feel natural i guess. Also Im riding a set of Dunlop Sportmax Q2. I used to run PP 2 CTs on my 600. Whats the best tire to use on the huge machines. I know opinions get crazy here, so maybe thats another topic about tires. anyhoo my tire pressure is between 38-40 rear and 36-38 front. Haven't had the suspension set with me on the bike or anything yet either

Your alright on tires and tire pressure (for slab riding). I use a Q2 front and a Roadsmart rear, outstanding quality tires IMO. It just takes some time to get used to the feeling of the bike moving around under you. Don't worry about it, enjoy it. Another part of what makes riding so much fun.:thumbsup:

PS.. If you ever want to branch out a bit more, and get a feel for a bike REALLY moving around under you, get yourself a dirt bike. Just be careful, motocross is 9 times more addictive than Heroin.:laugh:

Haha Yeah guess im gonna have to bite the bullet on this one and just push on through it :). Thank you for the response Tom. Funny thing my younger brother (21) just got rid of his Honda CRF450R dirt bikes are insane. Those are waaaaaay harder to handle, Plus I havent seen many motocross riders on Interstate 65 lately :laugh:

Back