strange tach speedo problem

jacks996

Registered
Riding home from work tonight my 2002 busa tach and speedo stopped working and are stuck in one position. The tach is at 3k and the speedo is at 20 MPH. Even with key off they stay in that position. It is weird becasue they are electronic. They should at least drop to zero with power off. Any thoughts on it?

Your odometer is most likely not working either, and maybe not the other 2 gauges. In fact you may notice the odometer and clock are still on and will drain battery. Just pull the fuse and reinstall it and they will reset. (Be nice if fuses were easier to get to) Hope it helps.

You can do that but I would suggest disconnecting the connector on the back clutch side of the cluster and reconnecting it making sure it's good. Doesn't sound like it, but are you running HIDs ?

I've encounter this problem before. U can try removing the seat and disconnect the power. After connecting should be ok.

Yes, I am running HID lights. I will disconnect the battery for now. I will be out of town for a week. Thanks for the suggestions.

I pulled the battery cable off and put it back on and everything went back to normal. I wonder what caused that to happen? I think it started as I went across a railroad track.

Make sure the pigtail going into the back of the cluster is fully seated.

I pulled the battery cable off and put it back on and everything went back to normal. I wonder what caused that to happen? I think it started as I went across a railroad track.

I got this problem 2 times. Both times disconnect the power then ok already.

thats weird... mine has gotten stuck at 185mph a couple of times.... mabey i should "reset" something too

thats weird... mine has gotten stuck at 185mph a couple of times.... mabey i should "reset" something too
But were you in third gear :laugh:

Reseat the connector on the cluster unless you just enjoy lifting the battery cable every ride. Then when it continues, disconnect the low beam HID and put the factory bulb back in and see if the problem returns

Back